magnefine ineffective? is a remote mounted better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a Ford memo stating that magnefine is ineffective. Ford use to require them after tyranny work. But now they just flush the cooler out. I put one on before I read that memo. So is what Ford said true and does a remote spin on filter work better.

If the cooler is flushed then there is no need for a magnefine to go with a new/rebuilt transmission. It doesn't mean a magnefine is useless. You can add one anytime. It would be the most logical choice to flush any old junk from a transmission. Any filter could allow some crud to circle trough the system.

Ford mentioned problems with leaky magnifines in that memo. They did state that it is ineffective. The effect they were probably looking for was fewer return claims from customers.the leakers were a problem with that.

Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Filters - Four Wheeler Magazine http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transm...eering-filters/

The link above has some testing of Magnifine and Racor ATF filter results. Both are said to have made substantial difference's to fluid cleanliness.other test exist as well.

Leaking has been a problem with Magnifine. I personally have not had the issue with em leaking and I buy from reliable sources to ensure I get the authentic product.

That said of course a remote mount will filter better. I have both types and am pleased with both. Wix makes a good inline magnetic filter too.they can be had from orielys I also have one of those in use in a third vehicle will be installing one on my moms Windstar soon. Pleased with that one as well.

To me, an external filter is effective if it filters particulates smaller than any other filter in the system.

Leaking can be caused by hose connections or gasket leaks in the canister.

But that doesn't negate its trapping of solid particles.

To me, an external filter is effective if it filters particulates smaller than any other filter in the system.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

That's a good point. And they do filter out much. Smaller particles than the pan filters do.

Just wanted to mention that I'm still not seeing any leaks from my Magnefines, even in the power steering, where the filters are subject to more than 30 psi.

Originally Posted By: ronp
Ford mentioned problems with leaky magnifines in that memo. They did state that it is ineffective. The effect they were probably looking for was fewer return claims from customers.the leakers were a problem with that.

Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Filters - Four Wheeler Magazine http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transm...eering-filters/

The link above has some testing of Magnifine and Racor ATF filter results. Both are said to have made substantial difference's to fluid cleanliness.other test exist as well.

Leaking has been a problem with Magnifine. I personally have not had the issue with em leaking and I buy from reliable sources to ensure I get the authentic product.

That said of course a remote mount will filter better. I have both types and am pleased with both. Wix makes a good inline magnetic filter too.they can be had from orielys I also have one of those in use in a third vehicle will be installing one on my moms Windstar soon. Pleased with that one as well.

Yes I have seen the WIX one at Orilyes and it looks very good also.. However I have never seen one cut opn.

I know the magnefine has a powerful magnet that will actually pick up your keys.

anyone have pics of the wix ATF INLINE FILTER???????????

IMG_20120918_182826_zps616b595e.jpg

This was only in service for a small amount of time <5k miles and the magnet already caught quite a bit I'm sure the filter did a good job as well, this was on a G35 Transmission which only has a screen.

I have a clone magnefine I got from napa ive had it on my work 3500 truck for months now no issues at all with leaking and the fluid DOES look like its staying cleaner longer.

Originally Posted By: daman
I have a clone magnefine I got from napa ive had it on my work 3500 truck for months now no issues at all with leaking and the fluid DOES look like its staying cleaner longer.

I would be interested in that; what is the part number you used?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

18720 or 18721 or 18722 depending on what size you need. You can get the real Magnefine filters much cheaper though on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

This is the one I got NAPA a Raybestos brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back