Haggen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the local Vons and Albertsons around here changed over to Haggen about three weeks ago. I shopped there the other day for the first time. Very high prices. I did find some whole chickens on sale for .49 lb. My Wife grabbed a bag of frozen chicken wings and thought it was $9 got home and saw that it was $19. She had a small fit. I won't be shopping there again. Super Walmart is right next door. And I hate shopping there. The only other stores around me are tiny little markets that don't have much.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
All the local Vons and Albertsons around here changed over to Haggen about three weeks ago. I shopped there the other day for the first time. Very high prices. I did find some whole chickens on sale for .49 lb. My Wife grabbed a bag of frozen chicken wings and thought it was $9 got home and saw that it was $19. She had a small fit. I won't be shopping there again. Super Walmart is right next door. And I hate shopping there. The only other stores around me are tiny little markets that don't have much.

Yep, I'm just down the hill in Lakeside. I thought Haggens was high also, but so was Von's before them. Once the WalMart super center went in across the parking lot, I haven't had any use for Von's, and now I stay out of Haggens also.

So far the difference between the old Vons and the new Haggen is:
green signage
less clutter
new registers
everything costs at least $.50 more.

last time I was in there looking for a whole chicken all they had was a frozen organic bird for $4.00 /lb

I'm not impressed.

Haggen will cater more to "foodies" vice value focused shoppers. Their in-store brand quality is very high, their bakery items are very good quality, their produce is typically upscale/local quality, and they're a Bellingham based company. Send more money our way please! (Haggen Boeing [formerly anyway] Amazon Costco Microsoft AlaskaAir etc). The evil Washington state is taking all your money folks!

Last edited:
Yep, our Albertson's was "replaced" by Haggen about two months ago. So far this is what we have...

-Store is the same layout, just new signs
-The usual things I purchased are now more expensive, assuming they are still stocked
-Things are often out of stock of items
-The open cooler near the entrance that used to be stocked with cold soda, energy drinks, and some juices is now stocked with 20 different types of fermented tea that I never see anyone purchase.
-The two Redbox machines that bring in a lot of business were removed
-The bakery that was already lacking as an Albertsons is even more lacking.
-Their produce has actually gotten worse

Awesome...

What? No Sprouts up there?? That's a fast growing chain with an interesting model...full butcher and bakery with some discounted meats. Their produce is typically 30-50% less than Safeway, Raley's and all the other anti-consumer priced chains. I scored an expensive bottle of vitamins ( the brand that I usually use ) that was on close out, not anywhere near expiration, for $11.00 when retail is almost $40. You'll never see that at Safeway or Albertson's...nor will you see two aisles of vitamins and supplements.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
So far the difference between the old Vons and the new Haggen is:
green signage
less clutter
new registers
everything costs at least $.50 more.

last time I was in there looking for a whole chicken all they had was a frozen organic bird for $4.00 /lb

I'm not impressed.

We have 2 Haggen's just opened about couple months replaced Albertsons.

Yes, they are less clutter and their price of most items seem to be higher than other chains, especially their sales are not as good.

We have 4 major chains within 4-5 miles, one week 1 store has good sale (more than 50-60% off) on items we like so I stock up those. Another week other store has what we like on sale so we go to that store.

Haggen isn't doing too well here. They laid off dozens of workers and are already closing a store. Their reputation has been tarnished in our county.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Haggen isn't doing too well here. They laid off dozens of workers and are already closing a store. Their reputation has been tarnished in our county.

Yup, they fired all of the developmentally disabled workers in their Santa Barbara stores, they must not want any business here.

I went to shop there once, everything was more expensive than Ralphs, Vons/Pavilions, Albertsons, Trader Joes ... I didn't go back since.

I don't miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back