Nissan QG18DE poor gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our car [Honda Fit] was wrecked recently and is in the body shop awaiting parts. My mother-in-law loaned us her car; it seems to be getting poor mileage and the exhaust often smells partially combusted, especially when first started and already warm.

Car: 2001 Nissan N16 Almera w/QG18DE and 5 spd. manual. An Almera is a shooting brake version of the B15 Sentra, made in England, and called a Pulsar in some countries.

Mileage: 17 usmpg city/30.5 usmpg highway; each tested using about half a tank of premium Pemex. Third test [city] is pending, it has about half a tank now. Our Fit gets 21-22 usmpg city and 28-36 usmpg highway when driven in the same areas and conditions.

The car has an OBD-ii scanner port, but has been dumbed down for export. My cheesy Craftsman scanner pulls up zero codes and gives a green light. It shows the car as only having two "monitors"; catalytic converter and O2 sensor. The O2 monitor flashes, which on my scanner means the car was unable to verify it. I doubt the codes have been cleared for years, I had never scanned it before, and it hasn't been to the dealer or another mechanic for at least two years.

I initially thought the O2 sensor's tip was fouled. After the highway trip the partial combustion smell was mostly gone at first. The highway trip included a 5 minute full throttle all the way in 5th gear up a long hill between 55 and 65 miles per hour. It also include several full throttle to redline 3rd gear overtakes.

Just guessing, I suspect a fouled O2 sensor or a faulty temp. sensor [i.e., during a warm start it injects too much gasoline before closed loop due to temp. sensor reporting lower than actual temperature].

Any insight or ideas?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Mileage: 17 usmpg city/30.5 usmpg highway

That sounds like an awfully big difference. Yikes.

If it won't let you pull codes, maybe disconnect the battery overnight to have it reset the ECU back to base and test again? It may help for a short while if it's a sensor issue.

14 year old ride may just have a few quirks, u think. Your location says Mexico and I am guessing that not many folks in the USA have much experience with you car, but, good luck.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
If it won't let you pull codes, maybe disconnect the battery overnight to have it reset the ECU back to base and test again? It may help for a short while if it's a sensor issue.

I'll try that, but since the OBD-ii appears to be dumbed down, I doubt it will scan. It might help with the sensors, though.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Your location says Mexico and I am guessing that not many folks in the USA have much experience with you car, but, good luck.

Yeah, no Almeras in the USA, but there are plenty of B15 Sentras [2000-2006], 95% of which have the same engine. Just on them the OBD-ii works like it is supposed to.

I guess I could have the dealership scan it with their $3000 scanner, but I'd rather not.

A few months ago one of my techs drove it to our shop for some other problem, misfiring like crazy. It had a dead coil, I figured out which one by hot swapping them with the engine running. Neither driving with a misfire nor hot swapping the coils and running on only two cylinders for short periods of time switched on the check engine light. Makes me wonder what it actually takes to turn it on and throw a code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back