Mystik 15/50 SM/CJ4 - 2014 Road King - 1,334 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Blackstone messed up the Viscosity Values thinking this was a 15/40 oil?
Anyway, despite the borderline viscosity for a 15/50 Im thrilled (and relieved) with the report for an engine that only had 3,146 miles on it when I put this oil in.

There is still some elements left over from the HD 360 oil that I changed out.
(Ps, both links work, I guess on this forum https images will not load?)

Link to Mystik 15/50 UOA

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the Mystik has more calcium, magnesium, phoshorus and zinc then conv HD360.
Mystik has no boron and moly so what is showing in this test report is most likely left over from the last change when I had HD360 conventional in it, plus variations in testing.

Last edited:
I looked at your VOA of mystic and it listed Cal at 1111,mag,732,phos,1005,zinc,1189, with a flash or 415. a Harley VOA sample was listed as cal 651,mag 658, phos 832, zinc 939, and flash 450. Your recent test numbers were higher even the flashpoint increased to 420. Besides the flashpoint number,I don't understand how the numbers could increase being such small amount of used oil with lower numbers to begin with made such a difference?.,,

Oh, now I know what you are saying, I thought, you thought, HD oil had more of those elements. Well, we know the HD oil could not have increased my numbers, since the HD oil numbers are really much lower, except for the Moly and Boron.

I think maybe you are giving more credit to Blackstone then I do, meaning, dont get me wrong, I am happy with them but I do not think we are talking certified and redundant testing here. I fully expect these tests to vary 10 to 20% ?. Maybe more, of course I wish they wouldnt but dont think anything can be exact, even the collection method from the owner of the vehicle.

Anyway I know what you are saying and I already expect a variation in the results. I know this from others who sampled oil. You will never come out exact but close enough so you know what is going on. I dont blame Blackstone, its a $25 test, even with Virgin oil, did the person sending in the sample make sure it was 100% mixed before the sample (I did*L*)
When I draw oil I normally do it after a trip or long run, the oil so hot, you really can not hold the container unless you hold it with a rag as you will burn your hand, this ensures a well mixed sample is drawn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I looked at your VOA of mystic and it listed Cal at 1111,mag,732,phos,1005,zinc,1189, with a flash or 415. a Harley VOA sample was listed as cal 651,mag 658, phos 832, zinc 939, and flash 450. Your recent test numbers were higher even the flashpoint increased to 420. Besides the flashpoint number,I don't understand how the numbers could increase being such small amount of used oil with lower numbers to begin with made such a difference?.,,

These elements are coming from the assembly lube from when the engine was built.
Looks like leaving the original fill in would have mean't it had significantly higher anti wear adds considering what's washing out in 2 oil changes.
Almost as though the oem's know what they are talking about when they say leave the original fill in for a whole interval. The assembly lube raises the a/w levels up higher than what's available in most oils.
Good to know

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

These elements are coming from the assembly lube from when the engine was built.
Looks like leaving the original fill in would have mean't it had significantly higher anti wear adds considering what's washing out in 2 oil changes.
Almost as though the oem's know what they are talking about when they say leave the original fill in for a whole interval. The assembly lube raises the a/w levels up higher than what's available in most oils.
Good to know

Clevy, the original factory fill is Conv HD 360, all of which have lower additives then the Mystik, except for Boron and Moly. Duckrider has the factory fill numbers posted, they are pretty much the same as what Chaunna posted.

Almost as though the oem's know what they are talking about when they say leave the original fill in for a whole interval...

Harley calls for a change of all three holes at 1000 miles, then EO at 5000 and each 5000 thereafter. The primary and trans are longer ... The trans is 20,000 I'll have to look at the primary...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Almost as though the oem's know what they are talking about when they say leave the original fill in for a whole interval...

Harley calls for a change of all three holes at 1000 miles, then EO at 5000 and each 5000 thereafter. The primary and trans are longer ... The trans is 20,000 I'll have to look at the primary...

Well, since I drew that sample and USPS got it to Blackstone and Blackstone the results to me, I clocked another 1000 miles. Havent had a drop of rain here in what seems like weeks and 100 degrees +/-4 degrees everyday so made two trips to the beach near Charleston in that time.

Ok, anyway, passed the 5000 mile mark.
The schedule reads, engine oil every 5k, primary every 10k and transmission every 20k miles.

Last edited:
Most likely not. I'll just put blind faith in HD Primary Plus in the transmission, anything can change though. I will be changing at half the recommended mileage though. Simple to do, so what the heck. I am happy with the way the bike shifts with it.

Last edited:
80-cci06202015_00000_720e54973b588856a5a1af28162bc4604a81bb82.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back