Jacking on the differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people do this? Seems every manual I have ever read recommends against it, but I've always do it and never had a problem.

Want to say it is allowed on mine. I know the factory jack points are under the springs. Rear axle seems like it is strong enough.

I did have a shop jack under the center of the rear axle beam on my FWD car, and IMO that is why it had toe in.

On my RWD E-150 I do it, I did it to my Aerostar too, and my 08 Liberty. No problems to report since the mid 70's jacking RWD and 4WD vehicles from the rear differential.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I do it on my Subaru (the rear diff), it's shown in the service manual as a jack point.

I could never quite bring myself to do that with my RS. It just didn't seem meant for it.

I do it on my Subaru (the rear diff), it's shown in the service manual as a jack point.

Yep. Same here. We've done it that way on all our Soobs.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I could never quite bring myself to do that with my RS. It just didn't seem meant for it.

I use an old hockey puck so it isn't metal on metal. It sits down nicely in my jack, or you could get the rubber pad made for it.

I did that to my old Outback, and the diff was one of the only places that didn't leak in the 15 years I had it.

I have 65 mustang, and have jacked it by the diff. but now I read that is a no-no. So now I am scared to do it any more. Am I just paranoid? Years ago when I was running my own auto repair shop, I jacked ALL cars up by the rear diff. whenever I needed to raise the rear. Never caused a problem that I knew of.

Its not designed to take that kind of loading - but I have not broken or bent one yet (that I know about). Considering the major design loading; the Moment across the short distance from the wheel bearing to the spring saddle is short and doesn't include the "shrink fit to cast(?) pumpkin" axle tubes that are certainly the weak point.

Masybe I will stop this ugly practice - unless its and expedient "emergency" on someone else's ride :0 JK
smile.gif

In the olden-days, yes. The only time we (Dad & I) didn't use the differential was on my old S-15 Jimmy's front diff, but there was a frame crossmember close by that we could use.

IIRC, the Ranger manual advises against using the rear diff, and I think the Dakota does as well.

Well I for one won't do it... Some could no doubt be fine and if mfgr says it OK well that's good enough... BUT most rear diffs have the tubes pressed into the center section then just a couple spot welds holds them in place, in my opinion not a trustworthy jacking point(especially on heavier vehicles)...

I have seen a Ford van with the all but indestructible 9" rear end pull a tube and coast to stop beside road... It belonged to telephone co, I doubt it was overloaded with a few telephones and a couple ladders on top...

My ex brother in law was a driver at the GM proving grounds. They would overload a vehicle and do literally days of tight circles and snap rolls to stress the structures and break something. He told me stories of catastrophic failures and bits flying off. Anyone that thinks a diff/axle cant handle the static weight of lifting the car alone has not thought enough about worst case scenario with passengers in it.

Starting back in the mid 70's for me, that's the way we did it for live axles. Don't ever recall having an issue. Realizing they launched the space shuttle several times at temperatures < 32 degrees F and got away with it until one fateful day in January 1986.
I continued that practice until I got an 08 Mustang that cautioned against it.
Maybe things were built a little heavier back then compared to the newer cars that are trying to save weight?

On the old Ford 8" and 9" axles, I used a jack under the diff all the time. I was told by a very reliable front end/suspension tech to never jack up an axle with pressed in axle tubes by the diff housing. He swore it was possible, depending on the situation, to warp an axle housing by doing this.

Once I have the rear on stands, I'll put a jack under the diff as a safety, but I don't use it as a jacking point.

I've not heard of anything bad happening by jacking the diff; it just seems like a bad practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back