2015 4cyl Camry Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've calculated the oil usage rate for my new 2015 Camry. Using 0W20 synthetic.

The distance between the full and add marks on the dipstick is 1 and 1/2 quarts of oil.

My usage has been:

1. 2,800 miles per quart for the first 4200 miles.

2. 2,856 miles per quart after an oil change at 4,707 miles as measured by the Toyota dealership in an official oil consumption test. The dealership filled the oil at 6,135 miles. This validates my calculation above for the first 4,200 miles.

3. 1,375 miles per quart during my recent trip from Illinois to Asheville to Washington D.C. and back to Illinois, a 2100 mile trip. The oil was changed at 4,707, filled at 6,135. The mileage is now over 8,200 on the vehicle. The oil is dirty looking.

The oil consumption is (1) getting worse, (2) accelerating as the oil gets dirty, or (3) a combination of (1) and (2).

My gas mileage is 32 mpg. The sticker said I should get 35 mpg.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited:
Perhaps try a different brand of oil? What does the OM say about acceptable oil usage?

EPA fuel estimates are just that: estimates. It's difficult to match them unless you drive at 55 mph with optimal ambient temps, wind speed, tire pressure and road conditions when there's a full moon out.

Last edited:
Get the oil consumption measured by the dealer per Toyota's requirements, and then they'll take care of it under warranty.

Def got an ring/piston cyl issue going on. Is there a tsb for excessive oil consumption? Oval shaped bores or improper ring fit? Valve guide issues?

The uptick in consumption for the long highway trip isn't surpirsing - many cars use more oil at sustained highway speeds than around town. I'd be pretty disappointed in this level of consumption, though Toyota will likely claim it's within the realm of "normal". At the 8,000 mile mark the engine should be fully broken-in, so I wouldn't expect much improvement from here on.

You didn't mention what oil you are using, but you could always try something different: if it has been using TGMO, maybe try Mobil1 EP or Castrol Gold Bottle. If you've not been using TGMO, maybe give it a try.

There are so many variables affecting fuel consumption (temperature, wind, driving style and conditions highway vs city, speed, etc.) that I wouldn't be concerned about 32 vs 35mpg difference. And I really doubt it has anything to do with oil consumption.

Good luck. Maybe Toyota will surprise us all and do something to help ,

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Are you sure it's 1.50 qts,mine isn't even a full Qt. More like 20oz.
I've got the same engine, and you're right. 20oz or so.

Any obvious leaks?, oily spots under the car?

A 2015 should not be using any oil. Period. Keep taking it back to the dealer so they can document the consumption.

If it's not leaking, then there's definitely an internal defect.

Be persistent with the dealer. Don't accept any of that "normal consumption" bullsh1t.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Perhaps try a different brand of oil? What does the OM say about acceptable oil usage?

EPA fuel estimates are just that: estimates. It's difficult to match them unless you drive at 55 mph with optimal ambient temps, wind speed, tire pressure and road conditions when there's a full moon out.
1000 per quart is a common figure. One would think with high tech milling machines involved in building the engines, oil consumption would be better controlled

My new Wrangler back in 2005 used about 1 qt every 1,000 miles for about 15,000 then eventually slowed to a few ounces. Aren't new engines likely to use more oil before getting better? Chrysler didn't seem concerned with its usage.

Make sure your add and full marks are really representing 1.5 qts. On my old 2001 Camry 4cyl no oil even shows up on the dipstick until you add its 4th and final quart. The add and full represents about 20oz. Scratch that. I should have read your entire post where Toyota already confirmed its usage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Make sure your add and full marks are really representing 1.5 qts. On my old 2001 Camry 4cyl no oil even shows up on the dipstick until you add its 4th and final quart. The add and full represents about 20oz. Scratch that. I should have read your entire post where Toyota already confirmed its usage.

It could be showing low on the dipstick for the first few pulls, too. I thought my Focus was consuming oil for a bit. I would check the dipstick and it was dry, so I would add oil. I was surprised when I had > 6 quarts come out after that oil change.

Turns out the dipstick on my car ALWAYS reads dry the first pull, or very low. So I have to pull, clean, insert then pull and check.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Turns out the dipstick on my car ALWAYS reads dry the first pull, or very low. So I have to pull, clean, insert then pull and check.

Which can only mean the stick unseats it's self after a few miles or is maybe bent on a incorrect angle...

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Always pull at least three times first thing.

Hopefully we're talking about his engine oil dipstick... Kidding.

Have their been oil consumption issues with the latest generation Camry 4cyl?

We've got a 2015 in the family, but it doesn't even have a 1000mi on it yet. It gets free dealer oil changes for the first 2yrs24Kmi and the dealer will do it every 5000mi oddly enough.

I know my brother's 2007 Camry used oil early on at a fairly alarming rate. He switched it from the recommended 5w20, to 5w30 and noticeable consumption stopped.

Originally Posted By: JTK
We've got a 2015 in the family, but it doesn't even have a 1000mi on it yet. It gets free dealer oil changes for the first 2yrs24Kmi and the dealer will do it every 5000mi oddly enough.

The 5k, 15k and 25k services include various inspections and a tire rotation but no oil change. The Maintenance Required lamp goes on every 5k miles. When it's outside the free service period the dealer here charges $38 for the "service".

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

The 5k, 15k and 25k services include various inspections and a tire rotation but no oil change. The Maintenance Required lamp goes on every 5k miles. When it's outside the free service period the dealer here charges $38 for the "service".

So when is an oil change done then? I haven't looked at the owner's manual (mom's car). They did put an "oil change due" sticker on the w/s with "5000mi" on it.

So when is an oil change done then? I haven't looked at the owner's manual (mom's car). They did put an "oil change due" sticker on the w/s with "5000mi" on it.

Every 10k an oil change is done with full synthetic. The dealer uses a maintenance sticker here every 5k. Yeah it's confusing and a bit misleading.

Here it is:

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-care/

Then click on item #10 and it says refer to the O.M. for the oil change schedule which is every 10k. It's almost like they want to give you the false impression you're getting free oil changes every 5k miles. When you really only get two free ones. My dad thought he was getting free oil changes every 5k until I discovered otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back