Changed bulb in Mag Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a Mag Lite flashlite for many years and recently changed the bulb to a LED bulb on recommendation from a friend. I noticed the light is brighter, and wondered if the power drain is about the same on the batteries. Mine is the two D cell lite.

Power requirement for the LED is significantly lower even though it's brighter.
You should see longer battery life.

Originally Posted By: 72te27
Power requirement for the LED is significantly lower even though it's brighter. You should see longer battery life.

Exactly. There is no downside to an LED conversion besides the initial cost. I've had good luck with expensive TerraLUX upgrades for my MagLites all the way down to cheap, low-output $4 Dorcy LED upgrade bulbs for a few favorite old flashlights.

It's like an LS swap into an old Camaro.
wink.gif

There are LED replacements for the two AA cell mag lights which produce a lot more light than the tiny filament bulb and are easy on batteries.

The LED uses quite a bit less energy. I can use the cheap $1 store D batteries, and they last as long as alkaline D's in the halogen bulb Maglite.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There are LED replacements for the two AA cell mag lights which produce a lot more light than the tiny filament bulb and are easy on batteries.

Thanks for the reply's. I also have a 2 cell AA lite so I might replace that blub as well.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Exactly. There is no downside to an LED conversion besides the initial cost. I've had good luck with expensive TerraLUX upgrades for my MagLites all the way down to cheap, low-output $4 Dorcy LED upgrade bulbs for a few favorite old flashlights.

I mostly agree. I've had a few LED conversions that had poor beam patterns.

The thing on the maglite LED upgrades is to be careful you are getting the newest ones that are up to date in technology and you made your upgrade worth the cash you're putting out.

The LEDs outputs have been following Moore's law in the past decade or so, doubling efficiency over and over again.

Given this fact, you may also want to reconsider if you need a 2D flashlight to lug around. It would be like someone using an old Brick Cellphones just for nostalgia's sake.

Something just slightly bigger than the 2AA mini-mag using 18650 batteries will provide you overwhelming light when you need it, or "regular" usable walking around light that matched your 2AA regular incandescent for 40hours

I would suggest to take a look at Fenix lights, they are well made with no overly complexities as some LED flashlights may have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back