Windows 7...freeze ups, not responding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you get windows 7 update automatically? How much available cache do you see when you toggle the performance on the task manager? Do you have a antivirus software and clean up cookies and registry periodically?

Without knowing more, it's going to be difficult to diagnose.

Windows 7... 32-bit or 64-bit?
How much memory?
What kind of processor?
Did it just start doing this recently?
Any recent changes to the system, hardware or software?

I had a couple of family members experience something similar. In their cases, they'd both visited sites and clicked links that install a bunch of malware with names like Advanced-System Protector, BlockAndSurf, Boost for Internet Explorer, Browse Safe, RocketTab, Super Optimizer, etc.

Go through your list of programs in the Control Panel and do your best to make sure everything looks legit. If not, uninstall the garbage.

I experienced problems recently that were preventing Windows from booting... it was bad sectors on my hard drive which I was able to repair using the hard drive manufacturer's utility.

Last edited:
Hitman Pro and Spybot Search and Destroy to start. Then CC Cleaner after to clean up temp files and the registry. There is a possibility your HD is on the way out, but if you still boot and run at all, I'd do those mentioned things first.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Hitman Pro and Spybot Search and Destroy to start. Then CC Cleaner after to clean up temp files and the registry. There is a possibility your HD is on the way out, but if you still boot and run at all, I'd do those mentioned things first.

+1 on CCleaner. after you run the cleaner with CCleaner, have a look at the "Tools" section and "Start up" You probably have a lot of programs launching at startup. You can disable a lot of the 3rd party ones.

After running Ccleaner, install Spybot Search and Destroy to find any other programs installed.
I use Avira as my Free Antivirus software.

Last edited:
Turk, which download was it? specifically? There are many thanks....Its fast and normal in safe mode. I'm using it now. Everything locks and freezes up and wont respond if I don't use safe mode. Did CCleaner. Been running Norton last 4-5 yrs and no problem. I'll try Spy Bot next.

Start with a free scan with HitMan Pro, it is quite good at getting rid of baddies if that is actually your problem.

Any details on the system itself, hardware-wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back