95 lexus SC; just put in 30 weight valv full syn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

My second oil change in my ownership tenure. Got a 1995 Lexus Sc 300 about a year ago to replace the 06 vtec v6 Accord that bears my account name here. It's gold with gold package. Bought it at 126k and got almost 140k but it came with fresh fluids albeit from the GMC dealership I bought it from. First time I used Motorcraft 30 weight and topped off with 20 weight for a massive 6 k run. This most recent second OCI, stuck some Valvoline 30 weight full gen. Had a overheat issue days before the OCI, replaced rad + fluid and no needle climbing issues since and decided to not skimp on protection as well heat handling. So far, the mileage is on par and if the mechanic didn't use a non-elite oil filter, I would have had the throttle performance on par too! Needless to say I cannot fire my mechanic cause he does a great job and warrantys everything so he is 110%. What do you think of my oil choices given I am eyeing a GC ow-30 with a Wix or M1 filter for my next OCI? or or how about the 0w-20 or 30 from M1. Extended Performance or AFE !

Last edited:
I just put the M1 EP 0W-20 in my Tundra, and engine feels great. Very smooth acceleration, and very quiet. Use a good quality filter for your engine though.. M1, Toyota, Wix all solid choices. I believe Wix is making some of the TRD filters for Toyota now, which is what I went with this time around

10W30 is the original spec for your car,I'd use that weight in your favorite brand. If you're a purist,get a Toyota oil filter from the dealership.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
So far, the mileage is on par and if the mechanic didn't use a non-elite oil filter, I would have had the throttle performance on par too!

Uh... what?

Agree in TX definitely a good 10w30 or 5w30 at most, certainly 0w20 is not even in your manual for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So far, the mileage is on par and if the mechanic didn't use a non-elite oil filter, I would have had the throttle performance on par too!

Uh... what?

Thanks for ALL the responses. Ok so about the oil and filter. The oil removed was the MC 30 weight with an Mobil 1 filter. I noticed after the oil change with the Valvoline full syn and non-M1 filter house brand that the car, when you first turn the car on from sitting overnight, revs much higher then it did with the Motorcraft 30 weight and M1 filter. doesn't seem as peppy as well from dead stop either. Anyone know if the car would rev higher when cold and first started especially with a house/generic filter versus the Mc with M1 filter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Uh... what?

Thanks for ALL the responses. Ok so about the oil and filter. The oil removed was the MC 30 weight with an Mobil 1 filter. I noticed after the oil change with the Valvoline full syn and non-M1 filter house brand that the car, when you first turn the car on from sitting overnight, revs much higher then it did with the Motorcraft 30 weight and M1 filter. doesn't seem as peppy as well from dead stop either. Anyone know if the car would rev higher when cold and first started especially with a house/generic filter versus the Mc with M1 filter?

I think the oil filter has nothing to do with it.

well guys, I am well into my OCI wiith this Valvoline 5w-30 and I am sure you will rest easier knowing I checked the oil level and added a little less then a half of quart maybe like .3 to .4 ounces. That is usually the case for these V6 Japan engines since my previous Honda V6 and current Sc3 are similar. I used that Penz 10-30 to top off since the original fill Val 5w-30 has probably sheared to a 0-20 so by using the 10-30, I have replenished both the cold cranking and operating viscosity all at once. even the additives are a good synergy/mix cause one has a lot of sodium and no moly and exactly the opposite with the Penn 10-30! The proof is in the sound or lack thereof as I can barely tell the engine is on. (no lie or old wives tale)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back