Ford Edge Grease Fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any 2011-14 Edge owners that do your own oil changes? Just got a '14 and before doing the first oil change would like to know if there are grease fittings for the front end like on trucks? Don't want to put it on stands just to check that.

If there are, any recommendations on a grease gun or grease? I got rid of my grease gun and would be buying a new one. Also have an unopened tube of Valvoline Synpower grease, but it is a decade old and has been sitting in the garage the whole time (everything from -20 to +100 deg. temps) and probably isn't good anymore.

Seen too many Fords needing steering and suspension parts replacement before 75k because there are no fittings! Most cars have gotten away from that years ago.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Seen too many Fords needing steering and suspension parts replacement before 75k because there are no fittings! Most cars have gotten away from that years ago.

Most domestic OE sealed suspension components supplied to Ford, GeeAm, etc., are of so-so quality, citing that their (even though they are sealed units) rubber boots will rot prematurely, which, when moisture and/or debris get into the ball joint, etc. will damage it no matter what.

I had done enough with Ranger's CA ball joint boot rots from OE units to the point where I'd rather get some aftermarket replacement sealed units to replace them whenever I come across them. But then again: those aftermarket ones such as mevotech, some Moog, etc. are of no better quality either.

Bottomline: don't blame it on as sealed units (nothing to do with it), but the quality of the materials used to construct them instead.

Q.

I have a Ford Ranger with 55K and the boots on the ball joints are
totally dry rotted off. Seems they could find better quality boots. Not looking forward to the bill when replacement is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back