Fixing a garage door (photo thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My garage door decided it wanted to stay down. It was persuaded to go up again for $20 in materials and about 3 hours of time.

Problem:

Yep, this won't be a quick fix this time like it was for whichever prior owner hacked this together:

C'mon. Just shotgunning sheet metal screws into a damaged section without reinforcement is asking for trouble. It did postpone the trouble for years, though!

Mocking up the angle aluminum:

Marking where to drill:

Making an impromptu workbench out of my roll cab. Worked out great for this specific function:

I'd forgotten all about those step drill bits. They saved my bacon when my regular all-purpose bits didn't go up to 1/4":

The step bits cut through that aluminum like a hot knife through butter. Being new helped.

After much time drilling and fighting hardware in, every last nut and bolt was tightened down, except the one I forgot and installed after taking this photo:

The aluminum angle covers all but 12" on either end of the door. It seems to have done the trick.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Did you use through bolts? That may be a big help

I didn't. Merely lots of bolts with fender washers on both sides.

Is that a foam door? Mine did the same thing. I had to use some 1/4 bolts, washers and nuts and drill thru it. Mine already had the alum angle.

Looks like a quality lasting repair. Through bolts probably wouldn't give any strength without a metal plate on the exterior to distribute the force.

Had the same problem with my 21 yr old garage door, I swapped out the panels from top to bottom to keep her going, but in the end I had to replace the door when the damaged panels started bowing in the middle when in the up position
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Is that a foam door? Mine did the same thing. I had to use some 1/4 bolts, washers and nuts and drill thru it. Mine already had the alum angle.

I'm not sure what the backing is made of. It's likely foamboard or other paper-backed board that won't hold glue well. It does quiet the doors down when they're hit by rain or sleet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back