Fram Ultra XG7317 - 8500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open this Fram Ultra XG7317 filter that came off my sister's 2005 Honda Civic 1.7L. The filter was in use for 8500 miles and seemed to be pretty well built.
thumbsup2.gif

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

Wasted filter. From all the posts I've seen, the 15Kmi rating is very coservative. Its a capable filter. Run it longer. For runs of ~10k run a wix/napa gold.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Wasted filter. From all the posts I've seen, the 15Kmi rating is very coservative. Its a capable filter. Run it longer. For runs of ~10k run a wix/napa gold.

While I agree that this filter COULD have been run longer...
Wix is only available at OReilly's (in Chicago) and cost between $7-$8.50 per filter.
Fram Ultra at Wally world is $8.97..Not much savings
$1 for a little peace of mind.
if the Wix was $4 I'd say use it.
I'd say it's a wash with current pricing.
Napa gold is $7.49 in my area.

Last edited:
More like "How things have changed".

Purolator, especially P1, was pretty good for their cost few years ago. It was the best filter for not much more than $4-5 if you can get it on sale, which happened few times a year. But there were so many tears reported here the last 10-12 months. It's not prudent to buy a possible defective filter, while you can buy an excellent filter for not much more.

We only have Fram Ultra's cut open the last few months, all of them were clearly in better shape than any Purolator after decent miles.

Last edited:
Good looking filter.

I'd prefer a $4.50 filter that can be changed economically with each OCI.

But if you're running extended OCI's, it's a good choice.

Fram listened to its customer base and oil filter buying public and built an outstanding Oil Filter with metal end caps after all of the complaints. Now Fram has a filter to go the extended distance for long OCI, or multiple drain and fill applications.

In fact, I've never seen a Mobil 1, Purolator Synthetic, Bosch Distance Plus, Royal Purple, Wix Synthetic along with the USA made K&N oil filters with any failures after long distance runs.

Awesome !! Gonna run one of this size soon.. My 6607 has 11,000 miles on it. Next filter though is that the TG 7317. But the Ultra version will be back after the TG
smile.gif

This seems to be a good filter i like those oil inlet holes it gives the "impression" that it flows real well. Fram ultra seems to be a good premium filter at an ok price. I have used a few on my own vehicles and so far no complaints. We still use the wix at the shop which is a good filter for the price.
We always used purolater until about a year ago after all those tears were reported, i found an old bill from a distributor we used in 1983 when we used group 7 oil filters (made by purolater) They were good jobber filters and we used them until about a year ago, Now we use wix .We cant take the chance on using a problem filter.
I will use either napa gold or the fram ultra in my personal vehicles. We only rebuild engines we don't do regular maintenance or i would offer them.

the ultra is the only filter fram makes that i would use... Take a look around the internet or cut some filters open you should agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back