'08-09 seafox w/ 55 merc. change lower unit oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad got the boat 3rd hand from a man two weeks ago. The Mercury has the 2stroke oil resivour which we both think is nice. Other than the premium oil the man gave us from the local Mercury dealer. I have read great things about penzoil's synthetic TW-3 oil. Is it really as good as I have read?

Also thoughts on changing the lower unit oil while we just got it? Which brand and is there any recommendations for that as well?

Thanks and I'll be sure to enjoy taking the 16 footer out almost every afternoon soon enough.

It has a brand new 24volt 3prop motor craft trolling motor. 72lb thrust I think. A dual 10amp deltaVolt onboard charger. And of course the 55 merc. Which if we keep the boat a long time I would love to switch it to a whatever that is within its recommendations hp to a yamaha 2stroke or 4.

I would change the oil in the lower unit. Get new gasket washers and a pump for 1 QT containers and 2 QTs of Mercury gear oil. Note the condition of the old gear oil as it drains. It should not look like any water got in. You fill until it slowly drains from the top hole.

Pull the prop and grease the prop shaft with waterproof grease. (Mercruiser 2-4-C is excellent). You might want to pick up whatever locking washers/pins, etc you would need to change the prop. (Assume the washers/nuts may go in the drink when changing a prop).

I think any TC-W3 from a quality manufacturer will be fine. I add Supertech TC-W3 oil to my Cummins diesel fuel.

The high performance I read is better for 75hp and greater.

I think I will either get the quicksilver or just the Mercury gear oil.

As for telling me in detail how it needs to be done. Thanks Donald. The prop greasing I would have forgotten.

I have done this to our 15hp evinrude here and there over the years. I just wanted to ask if there is something different that I need to look out for or check since our evinrude was new and this Mercury has i have no idea amount of hours on it.

I don't even know if it needs a tune up or would adding anything that is more preferred by the boating world for the gas be good for now.

Thanks again.

Best part... *** galvinized trailer with folding tounge. LED lights. It's pretty sweet never hopefully having to mess with bulbs and/or lenses and wiring!!!

Last edited:
LUpdate: I ended up getting the 90w Mercury gear oil $17
The engine mechanic for Mercury outboards said it didn't really matter. That 90w would be good for it. Though now it might have been overkill but what the heck. It's in it now.
It took around 19 or 12 ozs to use. What I should have gotten, too, was the Merc 2-4-c prop shaft oil as it's got Teflon in it which it good for shifting directions I would think plus it's recommended.

Then when I asked a non Mercury shop mechanic he said any marine grease would work. Wrong choice that was. As on quicksilver's website it shows a picture side by side of what the grease of theirs then a average run of the mill marine/hub grease. Though changed every year it would be fine. The price would over power the decision to get the best over regular marine grease all because one tube of the merc would last several years.

Prop update: if you haven't read the other thread a new prop is being shipped. I didn't realize until I took the prop off to regrease it that it was in this bad of shape it was in. Blades were bent/cupped too much for my piece of mind. We should of had the seller pay for a new prop before we got it. Just as a common courtesy. But that didn't happen. A local mechanic said when I asked him how bad it was on a scale of 1-10 he said a 6 from just looking at when I showed it to him the other day. That was all I needed to order a new one and use this prop as a back up once I get it fixed/shaped back up.

I'm thinking of getting Mac's river runner to protect the prop of rocks because this new prop will probably get beat up before next spring. For a 164 dollar prop or getting the prop protector the only bad part about adding the macs river runner prop safer is top speed is lost by a few mph. Reviewers of the product said that the protection outweighs the top speed because some props like stainless cost a pretty penny and the assurance is better than the lower unit/prop damage.

There are too many chances of anything happening around these waters to where this boat is ran to not have one on it.

Lastly it's a great upgrade used boat for us and one day in the next two years or less we will probably buy a much bigger boat on halves. I will just have to have my dream truck by then to pull it. A dodge 2500 bighorn edition with either the hemi or the 5.9 which the latter was discontinued after 2006 : ( A regular 1500 is not okay with me because I'll have a sweet work truck!!

Yeah. I know I have lengthy posts, but it's best to be detailed than be short and simple when getting questions answered on here. Plus someone else might check their boat out and thank me that i reminded them to check out their own.

Have a great day.

It's the classic 50hp not 55hp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back