Picked up a 2015 Silverado with the Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
They delivered it yesterday.
White double cab 4x4 All-Star Edition. 4.3L V6. Dealership was around 50 miles away and the CPU said 26.4mpg when it got to me. Not bad. I have learned to drive slow now and it should do fine for me. I don't tow anything so I had no need for the V8. It has power everything, built-in wifi, heated (cloth) seats, etc etc. Plenty of room for the wife and two kids (4&10) and a nice 6'6" box with drop in bedliner.

Now, I normally would NEVER own a Government Motors vehicle, but, the Chevy offers are drastically better on new trucks than any other manufacturer. It is not even close. My dad is a retired GM employee so I get GM-S and he is an Air Force Veteran too so I got that discount too. The only one I didn't get was the USAA one. I can't complain about leasing a new $42K truck for 2 years that I don't have to do anything but put gas into (2 years free maintenance too) for $245/mo. Sold the Fusion for $7200 and was glad to see it go before the transfer case lets go to the tune of $1500+ to repair.

My moms boyfriend just bought one. A '14 with 15k on it. Said it felt like his old 4.8

The new 4.3 engines are a huge improvement. They are based off of the gen 5 Ls series blocks.

Here is a neat tidbit: that engine runs 11 to 1 compression. Gm optimized it for ethanol so much, that you get an extra 20 HP and 30 lb ft on e85. A neat trick if you have to pull anything or fill the bed with heavy stuff

I have a '14 with the 5.3. I think you will love your new truck. Congratulations! As far as government motors is concerned I figured since I was already an owner I should get the owner's discount.

In all seriousness GM has always been the better financial deal for me due to having the GM card. I can almost never get into a competitor for less money. Enjoy your new truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
I have a '14 with the 5.3. I think you will love your new truck. Congratulations! As far as government motors is concerned I figured since I was already an owner I should get the owner's discount.

In all seriousness GM has always been the better financial deal for me due to having the GM card. I can almost never get into a competitor for less money. Enjoy your new truck.

How exactly are you a shareholder because if you are referring to the bailaoiut those shares were cashed in years ago,so that incredibly old worn out statement isn't accurate.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
How exactly are you a shareholder because if you are referring to the bailaoiut those shares were cashed in years ago,so that incredibly old worn out statement isn't accurate.

Probably as a US taxpayer.

Seething here.... Hey, for those of us who owned GM common stock when they decided to give us all the middle finger and declare it worthless after bankruptcy (I lost all MY $5,000).... They owe me a car. Then the Feds loan them money and they pay them back! Once again the little guy gets screwed.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Clevy is referring to GM paying back their GM loans, similar to what Chrysler did in the 1980s, paid it all back. Everybody else got screwed.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Seething here.... Hey, for those of us who owned GM common stock when they decided to give us all the middle finger and declare it worthless after bankruptcy (I lost all MY $5,000).... They owe me a car. Then the Feds loan them money and they pay them back! Once again the little guy gets screwed.

Don't forget the Delphi boys who were left out of that sweet crony deal...

Clevy is referring to GM paying back their GM loans, similar to what Chrysler did in the 1980s, paid it all back. Everybody else got screwed.

That says it about as clear as can be said.

Beers

Originally Posted By: Red91
Nice truck, but what oil are you going to run in it?
Maintenance in free, 4 oil changes, I assume they will use Dexos. I could care less as I'll be out of it in 24 months or less.

Glad to hear the new v6s are improved. I bought a 2012 with the old vortec 4.3 and it does pretty good but it lacks in the mileage and power. But it's a single cab WT and I love it.

The older gen 4.3's were essentially 350 cu minus 2 cylinders & lasted forever with minimal maintenance. I hope the new 4.3's are just as good.

Last edited:
I have been eyeballing a new truck as well, On our newer Chevy vehicles I use the Quaker State Dexos rated from Menards when it goes on sale thru a credit.

GM never paid back all they owed.They still owed like $10 billion but aren't forced to.Chrysler still owed like $1 billion that didn't have to be repaid.

That says it about as clear as can be said.

Beers

Clear, yes. True, no. They paid it back with stock. Which has now been sold and the U.S. taxpayers took a loss of over 9 billion dollars. Possibly a good deal in the long run of saving all the jobs. I don't know as I'm not an expert in that field but it is not nearly as cut and dried as "they paid it all back already".
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...-all-loans-it-/

Originally Posted By: cb_13

Clear, yes. True, no. They paid it back with stock. Which has now been sold and the U.S. taxpayers took a loss of over 9 billion dollars. Possibly a good deal in the long run of saving all the jobs. I don't know as I'm not an expert in that field but it is not nearly as cut and dried as "they paid it all back already".
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...-all-loans-it-/

That link is bad. It should be http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...-all-loans-it-/ I did hear news reports that all the GM loans were paid back. (As well as the Wall Street theives paid theirs back too.)
Its news to me of the $10 billion shortfall from GM! Now I don't feel quite as bad knowing GM ripped the entire planet off. (So far, GM won't send me any apology letters or a check....)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Now, I normally would NEVER own a Government Motors vehicle, but, the Chevy offers are drastically better on new trucks than any other manufacturer.

I don't think I'd buy one, and since I probably won't lease ever again I don't think I'll ever own a GM again. The build quality difference between our Edge and Equinox is night and day. The Equinox is rusting in several places after less than six years of ownership, and it is taken care of. Very disappointed. And the engine was put out there before the bugs were worked out. Then the underbody rust issues with their trucks.

I'd lease one like you did, if I were to do a lease, but not buy. Don't trust their quality long term. Ford trucks have gotten expensive, but RAM can still be had for good deals if you wait until they have incentives. Unfortunately their incentives aren't great all the time like before the Fiat days.

Nice truck I think gm has come along way id be hard pressed to buy one for political reasons but they build a decent vehicle and in all reality all the b8g 3 have taken some type of loan or something so its hard to say gm is much worse than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back