Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bugshu may be on to something. PPD's short sales are indeed huge. I smell a "short squeeze" occuring Monday morning, if the earnings are good.

According to the info I checked, PPD earnings won't be out until Monday.....This dosen't seem to be a very widely followed stock.

This is an interesting little company. It operates like an insurance company for legal services. They charge membership fees which average about $300 per year and people purchase legal fees that are needed. Actually the street doesnt really understand the company well and doesnt want to dig around to understand it.

Most of the customers dont need to use the service in any given year. However, much like a cell phone plan rolls over its minutes PPD rolls over its services. For instance, if you get sued PPD pays for up to 75 hours of legal assistance. However if you dont use it and you roll over your hours then in year 2 if you get sued then you get 140 hours and in year 3 you get 205 hours, and in year 4 270 etc. etc.....

Anyway, to make a long story short, the retention rate of its customers is pretty good and new customers help. The customer base isnt as flighty and short sighted as some short sellers might hope. People have good reasons to renew their memberships and they include holding onto the billable hours of lawyer time which they have purchased.

PPD is a fee for services business and many if not most customers wont need to use it. However, my lawyer charges $500 per hour and at those rates a PPD plan looks pretty good.

The balance sheet looks sort of like an insurance firm with much of the liabilities existing not as debts but as expected costs of providing future service for those that need the legal services that they are prepaying. Some of the assets are actually fees that have been invested and are earning interest while the company holds onto the money until the customer requires the service for which hes prepaid. I wouldnt recommend this to widows and orphans as the balance sheet can be a bit dodgy. A hurricane can change the fortunes of an insurance firm in a hurry and a wave of needed legal representation would materially impact this company. IMO, the majority of the people who purchase these plans do so with the idea of having a safety net rather than expectations of really needing to use it. Some people make out a will and some will fight a traffic ticket but most of the customers probably wont be sued, get audited by the IRS, or end up with a major lawyer event. If it does happen however, PPD is there for you.

Anyway, IMO, the best way to evaluate the company is through membership growth. The balance sheet is subject to change and earnings revolve around memberships and revenue income so tracking membership growth is the way to evaluate this company.

PPD released on October 5th the membership numbers for the quarter just ended. They can be accessed here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041004/dam052_1.html

As you can see you have about a 7% increase in membership fees which is basically your revenue growth. Earnings growth should be a little higher because last quarter PPD bought 1 million shares of its own stock.

Ok, revenue and earnings growth is modest but the point is that the company isnt falling apart. They are holding steady and growing a bit.

The interesting thing is the stunning short percentage of the company. Look at the key statistics on the Yahoo page.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=PPD

Mind you these were stats posted before the 1 million repurchase. Insiders own 32.07% of the company and Institutions own 75.83% of the company. Now I could be wrong but if you add 32.07 and 75.83 then you come up with almost 109% of the company being owned by cash investors. Mind you these numbers are a month old and the short position has dropped to around 7 million shares but its still huge. The few small investors like me who bought on margin had their stock borrowed and sold and then most likely borrowed and sold again and perhaps for a third or 4th time.

Ok, earnings will be out after the close on Monday and S & P has projected them to be .60 cents per share. With the membership numbers previously announced I think this is a fair number.

Honestly, I can show you companies with better earnings growth and also companies with a better balance sheet.

The story here is the short position. This company is for aggressive investors who can handle some risk and not for widows and orphans. IMO, its a decent company with a unique market niche. Its not going to fall apart. If it doesnt fall apart and / or it starts to move up then you are going to see a short squeeze of substantial proportions. Anything could trigger it. If the company were to announce another 1 million share buyback it would climb like a rocket. If a mutual fund decided to buy 1 million shares in cash it would climb like a rocket. If it starts moving up and breaks into new highs then it climbs like a rocket.

I imagine the mutual funds and market makers might not be against a little manipulation and scare tactic buying to shake out the shorts and when that happens it will pop fast.

The shorts were counting on the company losing lawsuits and that didnt happen. Then they counted on a shaky balance sheet but its honestly not bad. Their last hope is that earnings will disappoint but if you track membership growth the company should see earnings hold steady and grow a bit based on the share repurchase. If the company doesnt disappoint and go down then its going to go up with lots of shorts becoming dedicated buyers and the supply of stock available to buy being almost rare and non-existant.

Cash buyers own 109% of this company and somebody sold stock that doesnt exist and its going to get ugly for them when it comes time to repurchase phantom stock.

But hey thats just one mans opinion. This stock aint for widows and orphans and each of you should study it before investing your hard earned money.

Earnings come out on Monday after the close. Anything above 50 cents should hold the stock up nicely. If it hits the 60 cents that S & P is predicting then its off to the races.

S & P numbers showcase a listing in the SP small cap 600 and also on the NYSE and include .60 cents of estimated earnings against 54 in 03. 03 revenues of $90 million with Q2(04)numbers of $95.4 mill and rising. Cash flow was $2.79 per share in 03 and should approach $3 per share in 04. SP rates PPD a hold (3 stars of 5) with a $24 target price based on fundamentals. SP ranks earnings as a B+ (out of a D to A+ scale and which equals average on their scale) and IQ (investment quotient) as 130 (out of 250) which rates as higher than 88% of the companies they follow in their various universes. IQ is the desirability of an investment and by SP standards 88% is pretty good. Still, they rate it a hold.

To sum up. IMO this is an ok company that deserves the valuation that it currently has and that should at the very least hold up in the mid $20 price range. There is a huge short position and a high likelihood of an immense squeeze. Id rate the company as a C based on fundamentals and worthy of a look based on the idea that a short squeeze might happen.

Ive done more work for you than I care to admit. Each of you should take what I say with a grain of salt. Sometimes, Im wrong. Still earnings come out after market close on monday night and perhaps there is some potential here.

The one thing that I just cant ignore is that 109% of the company has been sold to cash buyers. Until they throw in the towel and start selling the momentum is guaranteed to eventually rise. The shorts have sold stock 3-4 times over that doesnt exist. Someday they are going to have to buy it back. Unless the company disappoints in a huge way which will change the minds of the longs then its not going to be pretty for the shorts. Insiders believe in the company and they just repurchased 1 million shares. Institutions dont look to be selling as low volumes would suggest so shorts are going to be scrambling to find stock to buy when its time to cover. The whole story of this stock can be summed up in the idea of a major league short squeeze and whether or not it happens.

Good Luck

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

CMGI is some kind of software/internet company - why do they look good? Chart has flattened out after trending down?

PPD's chart looks OK, with rising RSI. Do the shorts know something we don;t?

Pablo, Ive followed PPD for over 10 months. I read some of the short recommendations on it and they mostly revolved around the lawsuits against it. Slowing growth was mentioned as well as a confusing balance sheet and the short positions seemed to continue to grow. Miss, is the runaway jury state and this is a small enough company that many felt that a large class action lawsuit would be the end of the company. Well the company recently won against lawsuits against it.

Afterwards the company almost immediately put forth a tender offer for 1 million shares and they even bought a few extras that were offered to them. Most of the short positions happened when trading volume was high and volume has fallen off a great deal since the company gobbled up much of the available float.

In investing, everytime anybody buys a stock there is somebody selling the stock and vice versa and both parties have reasons to think the other guy is wrong. Its always tempting to think that the other guy knows something that you dont. However, its hard to make money by being afraid to take a position because somebody knows something you dont.

The people that know the most are the insiders and they own a good chunk of the company with well over 35% insider ownership. Looking at insider action you have the first 9 months of the year little activity worth notice. In the last 3 months you have had insiders buy around 50,000 shares and insiders sell around 50,000 shares. The insider that bought 50,000 shares now holds 110,000 shares. The insider that sold 50,000 shares now holds 1,400,000 shares. So if you believe Vickers the guy that bought doubled his position and the guy that sold still has most of his position.

The fact that the company took cash on the books and put forth a tender offer for 1,000,000 shares would seem to be a positive. I dont think the company would have bought close to a million shares if they thought the thing would tank and be selling for half the price 3 months from now. Actually, 55,000 extra shares were tendered and the company purchased 1,055,048 shares at a price of $26 per share.

If Im confident that anybody knows more than me and knows something that I dont its the insiders who run the company and those guys are repurchasing stock and investing the companies earnings and cash position to repurchase shares.

The Dutch tender expired September 28 and its interesting to note the trading volume since it happened and over a million shares disappeared from the trading float.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=PPD

Before the company purchased the million shares of stock, the trading volume was frequently over 100,000 shares per day. After 1 million shares of stock disappeared into the company vaults the trading float pretty much disappeared and there has only been 1 day of 100K volume in the last month. 30K volume days are frequent and Id say even with the 1 single 100K day that average volume has been in the 50K - 60K range over the last couple of weeks. If you think about a smaller trading float that averages about 50K shares per day traded and a 7,000,000 share short position then you can easily imagine it would take a whole lot of days to cover the position. 50K shares per day traded would take 140 days to cover a 7 mill short position. Even if you assume historical norms of trading volume which arent applicable because the company gobbled up much of the trading float you would still have a 60 day short position.

Pablo to answer your question Id suggest you consider two things. Shorts may know something we dont even but the insiders who know the most are buying back stock. Secondly, I dont think shorts know how to get out of the situation. You cant just enter a 7 million share market order into your etrade account and expect it to fill 1/4 point higher.

I pretty much think shorts want to cover and are desperate to cover but there isnt any stock available for them to buy so they continue to hold it and hope for an exit point.

If the market figures it out and throws a bull run at the stock its going to get ugly for the shorts.

Again, this is one mans opinion so do your due diligence and your homework. Dont do anything without checking things out for yourself. Im offering ideas rather than suggestions.

As for myself, Ive spent months watching this develop and I think there is some opportunity at this point in time.

Pablo, honestly, if you make money you should give me a free Amsoil dealership or case of oil or something.

HeHeHe

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

One minor correction.

The company agreed to purchase 1,055,048 shares at $26 per share. However, 78,000 shares were not delivered. On October 5th, the company announced that it had purchased and paid for 980,518 shares of stock at $26 per share.

Shares outstanding currently reside at 15,502,628.

Yahoo has shares outstanding listed at 16.5 million but their information is old. The 15,502,628 share outstanding number should be accurate.

Yahoo has the listed float held by institutional holders as being 112% and this was before the buyback.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=PPD

Major holders include Goldman Sachs, Thomas W. Smith, and Barclay Bank.

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

Thanks, Bugshu. I'm not afraid...just a little careful when so many are shorting, or such a high percentage, as in this case. I just bought 200 PPD @ 25.80.......crap now it's at $25.75

I still think MOT is a buy.

Waiting to hear from Amkeer on CMGI.

Pabs,

CMGI is a widely traded stock with aggressive traders. It will have huge swings when the technicals start to kick. Today was a little passive with it, although it did kick out a pretty good percent gain. Typical with these setups you will get 30-80% gains over 3-5 days. The upcoming election and other outside events seem to be pulling things down a bit.

In CMGI heyday it was up over $200 a share.

CMGI held the naming rights for the now Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots. They had to sell the rights off since they have had to cut cost since the bubble.

quote:

Originally posted by Bugshu:
This is an interesting little company. It operates like an insurance company for legal services. They charge membership fees which average about $300 per year and people purchase legal fees that are needed. Actually the street doesnt really understand the company well and doesnt want to dig around to understand it.

Bugshu

That is because it's an MLM company. The plan is sold through dealers that also set up other dealers to sell the plan.

Hmm kind of sounds familiar.
dunno.gif

Delving in small caps.

Bought PLUS ePlus Inc for 9.99

and

DKHR for $7.74

These were some recommendations from AAII that I am a subscrber to. They have a "real" portfolio with real money in it. It's call the "shadow" portfolio and it's beaten the dow and S&P for a long long time(at least 10 years)

I think MLM is a highly efficient way to market a product. Avon, Tupperware, Mary Kay Cosmetics, Amsoil and many other quality companies have done well with it.

I dont see that Loreal makes better cosmetics than Avon or Mary Kay just because its sold in stores rather than an Avon lady or Mary Kay lady.

I dont see that over the last 20 years Amsoil has been inferior to Castrol because they sold their product through garage dealers instead of stores.

If Avon abandoned the Avon lady concept they would go bankrupt. If Amsoil abandoned the dealer concept they would go bankrupt. I promise you that Amsoil couldnt sell their products at Wal-Mart next to Mobil 1 and make a profit. The worst Amsoil dealer in the country probably knows 10X more about the product than the typical Wal-mart sales clerk. There have been some bad pyramid schemes and MLM marketing concepts but there have been good ones as well like Amsoil, Avon, and tupperware. A good product line is a good product line and marketing concepts arent necessarily better than the other.

Heck, nobody objects to girl scout cookies and its probably the biggest MLM marketing scheme in the world. Interbake foods has made a boatload of money having little girls selling Trefoils over the last 65 years and nobody much seems to mind.

PPD has been in business for around 30 years and they have a marketing plan that works for them. Its nothing new and its not going to fall apart tomorrow. I think its a non issue. Id actually be more concerned if they started selling their product through insurance dealers and paying those guys huge commissions to push their product.

Just my own opinion though. Ideas arent commandments. Im all for people doing their own due diligence and investing towards their own needs and theories of success.

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

Pablo, the conference call for PPD went nicely.

To sum it up, they plan to continue to buy back huge amounts of stock and have the money to do it.

The stock is 112% owned by cash buyers and there are about 7 million shares short.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=PPD

I can pretty much imagine that the shortsellers were terrified by what they heard today. The company believes in itself and seems to be willing to put all of its available assets into repurchasing stock. The banks allow them to use 50% of earnings to repurchase shares and it seems they intend to use all of that capital to do it.

Good Luck with your 200 shares

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I joined AAII for $29. So-So, imho.

If you follow the shadow porfolio, you can do very well, without much risk IMO. I've only been a subscriber for about 1 year. I just recently started buying some stocks in that portfolio.

To date, I've mostly been working the PF newsletter picks, but will be adding more and more of the small caps as funds become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back