you add a minor scale with either the
W number going down, the SAE grade going
up, or both.

The catch is, that while playing the grade
game, HTHS sometimes goes in the opposite
direction that you intended it to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Majsmith
Thanks for all your help folks...I was initially thinking of Mobil1 0w-40 so that will probably be my go to, but I do like the Redline oil also...used it in a previous Lincoln LS.

What about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40...not as good volatility or add pack ?

Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 is run at Indy (Penske) straight, and of course its also Chrysler SRT's current recommended oil. Lots of moly in that one, more than M1 0w-40. Go Pennz Ultra. Do it. Pennz engineers know what they are doing.

I think the plan is going to be to try 2 oci's each of the Mobil1 0w-40 and PU 0w-40 and
try to compare uoa's. The vehicle currently has 9300 miles on it so break in should be almost complete. Especially being driven harder than normal...but no track days YET.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Warranty isn't really a factor either...engine and transmission tune.

450rwhp

All kidding aside, tuned to that level with the occaisional trackday, and no warranty consideration, I might be inclined to look at Redline. Their 5w30 has excellent NOACK number (6!) and the 5w30 has more robust HTHS than most other 5w30s.

Talking NOACK numbers, is it necessary to go to a 40 weight when there's Redline and the stout Amsoil SS 10W30 rated at NOACK 5.3?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Thanks for all your help folks...I was initially thinking of Mobil1 0w-40 so that will probably be my go to, but I do like the Redline oil also...used it in a previous Lincoln LS.

What about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40...not as good volatility or add pack ?

GM uses M1 0w-40 in their Corvette race program. That's pretty much a big lit up sign to me as to how good they feel that oil is.

Likewise it was for many years the go to oil for the SRT program as well...

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 10W-30 has a Noack of 4.7% also, but i would prefer the protection of a higher HTHS xw40 in a tunned and tracked twin turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back