2015 Corolla or 2015 Civic CVT??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flinter
The members here who are calling the current generation of 2015/2016 CVT's "junk" are juvenile and uninformed and old school in their thinking.

No one is calling these specific CVT's junk. Its the current track record of the CVT concept as a whole. Once we have millions of cvt cars with a couple decades+ and 200K+ miles on them without issues, THEN the CVT concept will have been "proven" as reliable and viable.

It is impossible to claim a new CVT will be reliable based on a fluid scan, real world results, over and over, over a long period of time and miles.

I just don't see how they can be any more unreliable than a modern day lightweight 8spd conventional "sealed" automatic.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I just don't see how they can be any more unreliable than a modern day lightweight 8spd conventional "sealed" automatic.

That had already been covered, the 8-speeds are in the same boat until they have proven themselves as well.

Depending how much you want to dig into it, Honda and Toyota have used CVT's in other countries for years - Toyota in the Corolla at least, and Honda in at least the Jazz (Fit). You can find plenty of anecdotal stories about their reliability or lack thereof. Based on my reading, I hope the Civic CVT is not the same unit as has been used in the Jazz in other markets. Again, all anecdotal and people don't usually write a post unless they have a problem. At least for me I'll stick with manual transmission for at least another five to seven years (just bout 5 speed Civic), longer if I can. I had a 2014 Corolla with CVT. It seemed quite refined to me, and never had a problem but not many miles before I sold it.

I am telling you .. From my experience... It's not near the top of things I am concerned about.. Period. If a transmission has issues... You can change that fluid every 20,000 miles.. It won't matter. Why?? Because the problem is mechanical.. Not related to fluid. I KNEW my mom and step fathers 99 Expedition was going to have tranny issues. Why?? That darn thing had GREAT difficulty with being in the correct gear in the 35 to 50 mph zone.. Shift up ..down..up..down ..up again. It blew up at 125,000 miles. Fluid wasn't the problemo. . it was a very poor mechanical design.. Let's ask this pertinent question.... Why are the 2013, 2014 Altima cars having transmission problems??? It has ZERO to do with fluid not being changed... Mechanical issues and quality control problems with JATCO. Here's another interesting fact.. My generation of CVT is far better with reliability than the newer ones... Mechanical... Not FLUID problems. I
I am going to change my CVT fluid
smile.gif

I do not say there is nothing wrong with changing your trans fluid q 30 to 60k miles..that's fine
smile.gif

I will likely change my fluid in three drain and fills from the transmission starting at maybe 120k.. I have 110k now.. I do agree that these CVTs are a bit of an different animal.. But again, my experience has been over a half million miles that it really the biggest concern.
I would also add that if someone lived in the southwest US or southern US with regular hot ambient temps greater than 95° it would be wise to change CVT fluid on a scheduled 60k to 75k ... That kind of heat is a consideration. Where I'm at.. Only 4 months out if the year does it even have the chance to get that hot.
Also... My manual says to inspect it in the schedule 1 or 2 maintainance schedules. The only caveat is if you are hauling a trailer, luggage rack, and or drive in very dusty areas. None of which I do.
I also don't trust the Nissan dealership to tell me truth about the scan results unless I could watch the results first hand.. Them chickenheads tried telling me to change valve cover gaskets even though there is ZERO leaks or anything when I asked about changing my spark plugs.... Non sense. These fluids are FAR better than they were 15, 20 years ago.... Thus why a number of manufactors don't even suggest changing the fluid. Ever.
Now again, I am going to start to change mine at 120k.. Going to do three drain and fills from the main case over time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am telling you .. From my experience... It's not near the top of things I am concerned about.. Period. If a transmission has issues... You can change that fluid every 20,000 miles.. It won't matter. Why?? Because the problem is mechanical.. Not related to fluid. I KNEW my mom and step fathers 99 Expedition was going to have tranny issues. Why?? That darn thing had GREAT difficulty with being in the correct gear in the 35 to 50 mph zone.. Shift up ..down..up..down ..up again. It blew up at 125,000 miles. Fluid wasn't the problemo. . it was a very poor mechanical design.. Let's ask this pertinent question.... Why are the 2013, 2014 Altima cars having transmission problems??? It has ZERO to do with fluid not being changed... Mechanical issues and quality control problems with JATCO. Here's another interesting fact.. My generation of CVT is far better with reliability than the newer ones... Mechanical... Not FLUID problems. I
I am going to change my CVT fluid
smile.gif

I do not say there is nothing wrong with changing your trans fluid q 30 to 60k miles..that's fine
smile.gif

I will likely change my fluid in three drain and fills from the transmission starting at maybe 120k.. I have 110k now.. I do agree that these CVTs are a bit of an different animal.. But again, my experience has been over a half million miles that it really the biggest concern.
I would also add that if someone lived in the southwest US or southern US with regular hot ambient temps greater than 95° it would be wise to change CVT fluid on a scheduled 60k to 75k ... That kind of heat is a consideration. Where I'm at.. Only 4 months out if the year does it even have the chance to get that hot.
Also... My manual says to inspect it in the schedule 1 or 2 maintainance schedules. The only caveat is if you are hauling a trailer, luggage rack, and or drive in very dusty areas. None of which I do.
I also don't trust the Nissan dealership to tell me truth about the scan results unless I could watch the results first hand.. Them chickenheads tried telling me to change valve cover gaskets even though there is ZERO leaks or anything when I asked about changing my spark plugs.... Non sense. These fluids are FAR better than they were 15, 20 years ago.... Thus why a number of manufactors don't even suggest changing the fluid. Ever.
Now again, I am going to start to change mine at 120k.. Going to do three drain and fills from the main case over time.

Congratulations on your luck so far, but your experiences are incredibly narrow and are in no way sufficient to scientifically determine your transmission will be reliable for the long haul.

You said yourself you have 110k on your current CVT, what if it goes kaboom at 111k? We wont really know until you and millions of other examples of owners reaching well past 200k+ to have enough examples to determine reliability. Otherwise we have very few statistics to judge by.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

Well... 500,000 plus miles... ZERO issues. And like I said before..... I was meticulous about changing the oil in my Sentra. Never touched the transmission fluid. Motor went NOT transmission. Also like I said as well.... A fella on the Nissan and Infiniti site had his CVT fluid analyzed at 56k miles and it said his fluid had 75% of the life left in it. I have ZERO doubt you can do the math on that. Furthermore, in the MANUAL it says to have the fluid "inspected" in both maintainance 1 and 2 schedules. Inspected means scanned by their dealership scanner. Also in the MANUAL it says that all the way through the ENTIRE schedules to at least 120,000 miles.
Most of the CVT problems have come from people putting the wrong fluid in their cars. Issues with my generation of CVTs have either been wrong fluid put in OR mechanical problems that happened very early on with their cars. Neither which I've had obviously.
I am going to change it out over time coming up before too long. But the fact that this fluid can be scanned and have 75% of its life left after 56k miles tells me it could go close to 240,000 miles. Now I am not going to remotely consider doing that. The CVT is a different type of mechanical transmission which does require a specialized fluid and consideration for regular ambient operating temps. Also how many of these generation of CVTs have gone over 175,000 or even 200,000 miles without ever changing the fluid?? I don't know. But neither do you. I bet it's a lot more than we may well know because most people in this country barely change their oil much less even think about their transmission fluid. And again, the MANUAL does require it either. Just to be inspected.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well... 500,000 plus miles... ZERO issues. And like I said before..... I was meticulous about changing the oil in my Sentra. Never touched the transmission fluid. Motor went NOT transmission. Also like I said as well.... A fella on the Nissan and Infiniti site had his CVT fluid analyzed at 56k miles and it said his fluid had 75% of the life left in it. I have ZERO doubt you can do the math on that. Furthermore, in the MANUAL it says to have the fluid "inspected" in both maintainance 1 and 2 schedules. Inspected means scanned by their dealership scanner. Also in the MANUAL it says that all the way through the ENTIRE schedules to at least 120,000 miles.
Most of the CVT problems have come from people putting the wrong fluid in their cars. Issues with my generation of CVTs have either been wrong fluid put in OR mechanical problems that happened very early on with their cars. Neither which I've had obviously.
I am going to change it out over time coming up before too long. But the fact that this fluid can be scanned and have 75% of its life left after 56k miles tells me it could go close to 240,000 miles. Now I am not going to remotely consider doing that. The CVT is a different type of mechanical transmission which does require a specialized fluid and consideration for regular ambient operating temps. Also how many of these generation of CVTs have gone over 175,000 or even 200,000 miles without ever changing the fluid?? I don't know. But neither do you. I bet it's a lot more than we may well know because most people in this country barely change their oil much less even think about their transmission fluid. And again, the MANUAL does require it either. Just to be inspected.

Bogus "proof".

Did you just copy and paste this post from earlier posts?

These are your narrow findings, not widespread long-term known reliability.

Scans don't mean much, how about a UOI?

If "no one knows" that benefits the transmission with an actual TRACK RECORD. not the unproven one.

It's in the manual so they can claim low cost of ownership and other such nonsense.

57.gif

Come back when the CVT's have a proven track record... (And no, I don't mean your limited experience.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back