thoughts on TYC alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest a rebuilt alternator, the least expensive one you can source. Rebuilds in the case of alternators are as good as new manufacture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1962880

I thought TYC did like headlights and etc.

TYC is trying to branch out and sell parts on name recognition, just like Gates is now selling water pumps.
The TYC pros: Cheap price. Lifetime warranty. 100% new.
The TYC cons: The lifetime warranty will be harder to cash in on since you bought it from Rock Auto. Your alternator will also be mostly made in China, using electrical parts that are mostly made in China, just like a lot of the Gates water pumps are made in China, using Chinese parts.
My thoughts on this is that the TYC alternator will probably last as long as your discount chain stores.
Your call....

Last edited:
Don't have any experience with TYC Alternators.
But I have used their starters from Rockauto.
99' S10 Chevy with the 2.2 - I replaced the starter in Dec 2012 - it failed last week. Lasted roughly 2.5 yrs - considering the price $65 no core vs the local Advance Auto $140.00 with core exchange , I wasn't too upset.

Rockauto honors the warranty , but you have to purchase the unit again and then submit as if it was defective , then they reimburse you after you send in the defective unit.
You have a choice of money or store credit.

If it fails again in a couple of years. I may just bite the bullet and replace it with a Denso unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I bought mine (1999 Odyssey) from http://www.ebay.com/sch/installersselect/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Those guys provided the photos of their testing. I thought I had posted my experience here but searching BITOG is not for the faint of heart!

Highly recommended!

No parts for my lancer

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Try DB Electrical,

USA company, have not used them myself, but several friends have recommended them...

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

only had a starter

I bit the bullet and got the TYC from amazon, should be here saturday, which is prefect. I did it because no core is needed and if the TYC goes bad i'll just return it to amazon and find a rebuilder or rebuild it myself.

Good thing about this car is, its a cake to R and I.

Amazon had 5 reviews, 1 DOA, 3 good ones, 1 guy ranting about how its listed as new but its a rebuilt but never posted if it was a good or bad one. I really wish RA has a review section like amazon. On RA the TYC has that little heart logo, i think it means thats what most people buy and its a decent price for 100$.

I'll snap some pictures of it before the install if i have some time.

Got the part a day early. Here the pictures are.

20150619_195915_zpslpdqp6lb.jpg

20150619_195953_zpsgqjldud7.jpg

20150619_195945_zpsg8d3inav.jpg

20150619_195933_zpsb4jys28i.jpg

20150619_195906_zps8yqu5iix.jpg

TYC offered lifetime warranty. Brand new part and it was an amazon prime item. No core charges and best of all $106 shipped to me.

One BIG BIG reason why I risked going with an not so popular was that this part was VERY easy to install, removed the old one in 15 minutes literally. If it was a harder to reach/install part I would of opted OEM rebuilt or Denso units. Another reason was this car is ONE huge repair away from being scrapped.

Installed the part, its charging nicely at 14.4v.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back