Honda Dual Pump Fluid II any substitute ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new to me (used) Honda CR-V 2002 AWD. 218,000 miles on it mostly highway. I was thinking of changing the rear differential fluid with 5W-30 Pennzoil Synthetic (from Natural Gas) but it appears that this fluid is all together different than any normal oils/fluids yo see on the market place.

Yes, I did a search and found where it mentions Honda Dual Pump, but the thread was from 2009. Several years have passed and I would be surprised if some company has not come up with some alternative to the Honda Dual Pump II fluid.

What kind of fluid is it? I see it's not ATV or 80W-90 or such, but I figured if I can change the front transmission oil (5 speed manual) using 5W-30 or even 5W-40 synthetic oil, I might change the rear as well.

I liven in SW Michigan near the Lake shore (north of South Haven) so winter temps do not go much below 5 above and summer temps around 80-90 but one never knows about road trips into areas that are in the triple digits.

Nice SUV. I'm the second owner and he did a LOT of maintenance on it with records all the way back to when he bought it.

Your rear diff only takes something like 1.1 or 1.3 quarts. Stick with the Honda fluid. I think there is a clutch in there and the Honda fluids are compatible with their blend of friction material. Make sure you get new crush washers for both plugs. The factory OCI is 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
Probably best not to use regular motor oil in the MT, especially when

1) they aren't really formulated these days for gearboxes.
2) there are targeted fluids for MT.

A quick search on BITOG will show that dealer supplied Honda MTF is probably worth the investment.

Or this

Last edited:
Ive driven Honda/Acura vehicles for 400,000 miles over the last 10 years. Let me offer up some advice.

Curry Acura in New York is the largest online Acura parts dealer in the country. They sell OEM fluids/wipers/parts for WAY cheaper than any other dealer I've dealt with. As you are probably aware, Honda and Acura are the same company so any fluids bought from Acura are identical to Honda fluids. They sell your Dual Pump fluid for $7 a quart and change. Add new OEM wiper inserts ($4/each) some ATF, and some oil drain plug crush washers to your order to make the $5 to $10 in shipping worthwhile. Not affiliated just a happy customer.

I have thousands of dollars in parts/fluids orders through them and they ship same day and are fantastic.

Here is there website.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214999

Many thanks. I was thining 0W-40 German Castrol for the 5 speed manual transmission as that would be a good flow in the winter here, as well as being 40W oil when at 212 temp would retain good viscosity. That was the one "fluid" that they had said in the manual that one can use 10W-30 or 10W -40 oil in the 5 speed.

Wouldn't 0W (winter) be a good all around fluid for transmissions for summer/winter driving? I have always been quite fond of synthetic oils for several years, even before I joine in on BITOG forums a few years back.

Synthetics just are uniquely different than regular oils in what I've researched.

Thanks for the link as well. I had already put in an order on Amazon for free shipping on 2 quarts of the Honda Dual Pump Fluid II as well as a 7.00 pump to deliver the fluid into the hole, and a new washer for the rear drain plug.

Between Honda MTF and Amsoil, just flip a coin.

I've haven't read 1 complaint on BITOG regarding Amsoil gear lubes. I have their 75W-90 in my toyota right now.

Use a dedicated MT fluid for the manual.
If you don't want the newer thin Honda MT fluid, Redline, Amsoil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Driven.... have great MT specific fluids, like MTL, MTF, MT85, STF, Synchromax, Syncroshift, Synchromesh,...

Unless in an emergency, I do not reccomend motor oil in a manual tramsmission.

Originally, many DPF systems were fill with Z1. It wasn't a tough ATF, and worse as a diff oil. Either use the newer Honda DP fluid, or a universal multivehicle synth ATF. Some mention DPF in their data sheets.

Yesterday, after I got home from work (Fenn Valley Vineyards) I changed out the MTF with the Amsoil Hydrostatic Transmission Oil in the 5 speed. After draining, and the fluid was not too bad for color, I used a "Fluid Quart Pump by Plews" that I got at Amazon.com to refill the transmission. NOTE: Fits a quart bottle with the smaller lid, and only pumps out 4cc (equals 4ml) per pump, so it is not the fastest, but with that clear flexible tubing it was easy to get it in there and just keep pumping. Since the Amsoil MTF only comes in a larger size lid, I did the Rear Differential Friday using Honda Genuine Dual Pump fluid II. And kept the one empty container and drained it well. That gave me the container needed for the Amsoil MTF and worked great.

I will mention that this little fluid pump worked excellent at getting the oils where they needed to be. When fluid started running out of the fill/check plug hole I give it an extra 2 squirts and then put in the plug. But, take note, it only pumps 4 ml at a time and a quart has 946 ml. It's easy pumping and does not take that long if you keep the pumping steady.

The Honda Dual Pump fluid is rather unique, unfortunately. I am _NOT_ a believer in using only Honda-branded brake fluid, or similar nonsense, but the fluid in that gear-and-clutch box out back really is a somewhat different animal.

Just did my, new to me, 2002 CRV with 131K. I just use 1 qts of DPF instead of the 1.1 Qts and 3 qts transmission fluid 3X (DW-1) instead of the 3.3 qts. Total cost from local Honda Dealer (asked for discount) - $67.58 w/o tax.

As far as I know there is no aftermarket equivalent to Honda's dual pump fluid.

Most mechanics that work on Hondas say to just stick with Honda fluids for the transmission, power steering, and AWD systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back