Air Compressor OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you change the oil in your air compressor? I just changed mine, and I think the last time was a few years ago. I use it for a few small jobs. No idea how many hours it gets run.

My compressor has no oil to change.
frown.gif

Been trying to kill it since I got it in 1999 so I can justify to the wife why I need a new one. One of the few things I've been unsuccessful at in life.....

I change the oil in my compressor yearly since I bought it in 1976. Oil is inexpensive so I change it and service the air filter at the same time.

Originally Posted By: whip
How often do you change the oil in your air compressor? I just changed mine, and I think the last time was a few years ago. I use it for a few small jobs. No idea how many hours it gets run.

My was 25 years or so. So my next one will be when I am 87!!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: whip

My was 25 years or so. So my next one will be when I am 87!!

people write this all the time I haven't changed it in the number of years doesn't matter it's really how many hours 1hr since last 100hr 1000hr 10000hr etc etc etc that is really what matters.

I changed mine this year, last changed around 1990, time before that probably when assembled from A/C parts in the early/mid-1960's.

It still looked like fresh oil when I changed it. If your system suffers from more water contamination than mine it will need changing more often. Really the most important part is that it has oil.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I changed mine this year, last changed around 1990, time before that probably when assembled from A/C parts in the early/mid-1960's.

It still looked like fresh oil when I changed it. If your system suffers from more water contamination than mine it will need changing more often. Really the most important part is that it has oil.

I agree. I don't use mine enough to change the oil more often then the above.

I have a nice 2.5hp Speedaire from Grainger in my garage. It's about ten years old and gets used a few times a month. I've only changed the compressor oil once, maybe six years ago. I'm going to change it again soon with some Amsoil synthetic compressor oil that I bought. I figure compressor oil lasts a long time since there are no combustion by-products like you get with an engine.

Can anyone explain oiled vs oilless. My thinking is, if it runs fine without oil then why incorporate oil galleries for it to flow, oil fittings that can leak, and a possibility for it to run low and seize?

Do oiled ACs run smoother, quieter, last longer than dry ones?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Can anyone explain oiled vs oilless. My thinking is, if it runs fine without oil then why incorporate oil galleries for it to flow, oil fittings that can leak, and a possibility for it to run low and seize?

Then why aren't there oil less car engines? Would you buy one?

Your questions: Yes, Yes, Yes, and many more good reasons.

Last edited:
I feel better. I bought it in 2007, and just got around to changing the oil.

I've never seen an oil-free compressor last long in a heavy workload such as a construction site. I'm sure they're great for harry homeowner who might pump up a tire or use a trim nail gun on occasion. IMO they sounds nosier than oil lubricated ones. I've got an older oil lubricated Craftsman, I think a 2gal or so. I've overused and abused that thing so many times with a small spray gun and framing nailers. Still works great to this day. I used to sell a couple different brand oil-free compressors at my old work. Typically half would come back, no matter what the brand. Finally convinced the contractors to spend a little more and get an oil lubricated.

For homeowner use, an oiled compressor is worth the premium over an oil-less for the noise reduction. Oil is a better noise reducer than Teflon. Oiled air compressors are a lot more likely to come with air filters, which will help longevity and reduce noise. A lot of oiled compressors also have NPT threads on the intake ports that can take NPT-threaded Solberg silencers. That might not be the case with oil-less compressors. Another advantage is the piston on an oiled compressor is fully enclosed and drawing filtered air. If you look at oil-less compressors, some of them (the Husky oil-less 33 gallon at the orange box store comes to mind) have pistons exposed to whatever is in the shop's air. That unit doesn't have air filters, either. The way it's set up won't help durability much.

Oiled compressors are more work to set up initially, as well as more costly to purchase. To me, having a quieter compressor that's not merely a throwaway is worth the up-front expense of money and time.

Originally Posted By: Delta

I've never seen an oil-free compressor last long in a heavy workload such as a construction site. I'm sure they're great for harry homeowner who might pump up a tire or use a trim nail gun on occasion. IMO they sounds nosier than oil lubricated ones. I've got an older oil lubricated Craftsman, I think a 2gal or so. I've overused and abused that thing so many times with a small spray gun and framing nailers. Still works great to this day. I used to sell a couple different brand oil-free compressors at my old work. Typically half would come back, no matter what the brand. Finally convinced the contractors to spend a little more and get an oil lubricated.

Exactly. Oil-less pumps are fine for pumping up a tire here and there but they are in no way durable enough for extended run times.
I've easily burned up 5 porter cable oil-less pumps banging hardwoods floors however I still have the first prime oiled pump 1.5hp I ever bought. It's going on 20 years old now.
Oil gets changed prior to every house. Dust gets into the crankcases so even though the oil isn't worn it is contaminated.

I've got a total of 23 gas and electric air compressors. Having used them all and killed most I have a routine now,and won't waste a dime on an oil less unit

When the compressor/motor goes on my oilless I might keep the 20gallon tank, either as a portable tank or to use on the end of long lines. And get a better oil unit. Sure is a noisy unit, but I might run it once a month. I often let it only come up to half pressure, as all I need to do is top off tires most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've easily burned up 5 porter cable oil-less pumps banging hardwoods floors however I still have the first prime oiled pump 1.5hp I ever bought. It's going on 20 years old now.
Oil gets changed prior to every house. Dust gets into the crankcases so even though the oil isn't worn it is contaminated.

I've got a total of 23 gas and electric air compressors. Having used them all and killed most I have a routine now,and won't waste a dime on an oil less unit

I didn't think about that. Drywall dust is nasty stuff. Fortunately, my compressor doesn't see any.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I didn't think about that. Drywall dust is nasty stuff. Fortunately, my compressor doesn't see any.

Drywall dust is gypsum,so rock dust. When I see guys without filters on the pumps I just shake my head.
I tried fixing one of the porter cable oil less pumps once. The ring was plastic and the cylinder walls were badly scored and slightly blued,which tells me it got really hot.
It got worked really hard one day. A leaky hose caused the pump to run for minutes at a time instead of seconds.
The next morning it wouldn't maintain more than 30 pounds of air.

Funny thing. I've got a prime electric,2 emglo and a dewalt. From the fist one I bought which was the prime to the final dewalt all 3 are identical except for colour.
Well and the prime has a very thick cord,the other 2 are thinner.
However dewalt no longer rebadges emglo pumps,and the quality loss shows big time.
I'd rather buy a 15 year old compressor rather than a new one. The pumps are way better quality. Easily rebuild able.
Today's versions are basically all Chinese pumps,even the name brand versions except emglo though they might be Chinese now.

I have a cheapo depot 2.5hp (sure) 21 gallon compressor. I did upgrade the air filter to a Solberg knock off from the foam that was in there before.

Currently, it has Pennzoil Plat 10w-30 in it. I know I know I am not supposed to run motor oil in a compressor but I didn't have any compressor oil on hand at the time and it has been in there for 1.5 years without any issues.

Originally Posted By: rufushusky
Currently, it has Pennzoil Plat 10w-30 in it. I know I know I am not supposed to run motor oil in a compressor but I didn't have any compressor oil on hand at the time and it has been in there for 1.5 years without any issues.

You really don't have to run compressor oil in it. I bought a quart of detergent free 30 weight oil at Walmart for way less, and it's essentially the same thing as compressor oil. As often as I run my compressor (not often) I'll probably never have to change the oil either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back