Dealer trade in appraisal...ride along??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am considering trading in my MINT condition 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan with 18,000 miles for a new 2015 Civic EX. If I was to have a dealer appraise my Civic, do I or should I go along with the appraiser on the test drive?
I dont trust anyone driving my car but me and I dont know telling the appraiser this is considered inappropriate or insulting to him/her? What is the proper protocol for this??

Last edited:
They will try to rape you either way. Know what your car is worth before you go in. Trading in a 2013 for a 2015 is not a smart move and you are going to lose a lot of money. Training up so soon is a bad move.... Ask me how I know. Lol

Yep, they will low ball you on trade in value. Sell it privately.
Yeah, go on the ride along with dealership employee.

I agree on keeping your 2013 Civic.

Chris,

Thanks, I should have mentioned that FIRST I will trying private sale, than as a last resort dealer trade in. And OF COURSE I know EXACTLY what my car is worth, BOTH with private sale and dealer trade.

Last edited:
I see you added to your question. Don't worry to much. I had the same problem and don't like others driving my car. Some times it can't be avoided and 99% of the time dealers just take it around the block for a few minutes. They won't hurt it.

Originally Posted By: flinter
If I was to have a dealer appraise my Civic, do I or should I go along with the appraiser on the test drive?

It's up to you. You can certainly ask to ride along. It's not going to affect their appraised value.

Also consider taking your car to CarMax for an appraisal. Sometimes they pay more than dealers do.

Yes, I've done it before at CarMax and other dealers. At CM they just took it around the parking lot on a very short spin. This was on a 99 Accord. At a Honda dealer they took off pretty fast in it so ever since then I go with them.

You have insurance, they have insurance, give them a moment to look at it in private. Being a 2013 I doubt they would look at it long anyway.

Trade in is a last resort however.

Off Subject, but what is the appeal of the 2015? Ive read Honda has made improvements, are they extreme? IS the current 2013 operating less than ideal? You might consider a base accord - the small step up brings big rewards.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Off Subject, but what is the appeal of the 2015? Ive read Honda has made improvements, are they extreme? IS the current 2013 operating less than ideal? You might consider a base accord - the small step up brings big rewards.

Agreed. Why trade one almost new econobox for another? Seems like a complete waste of money for no apparent good reason. Is there something wrong with the 2013 Civic?

The thing that scares me about a private sale especially when the car is worth quite a bit is accepting a check from someone for a lot of money. I would have to find out somehow that the check was legitimate before they got the car. I would never accept a personal check for a private party car sale but even so you still have to be careful.

Originally Posted By: Rojack
The thing that scares me about a private sale especially when the car is worth quite a bit is accepting a check from someone for a lot of money. I would have to find out somehow that the check was legitimate before they got the car. I would never accept a personal check for a private party car sale but even so you still have to be careful.

If someone can write a personal check, then that someone can also just bring cash instead.

Alternatively, if the person has an account at one of the major banks where you also have an account, then that bank can issue a certified check and you can take it to your local bank branch and they will be able to verify its validity on the spot when you sign over the title.

ABSOLUTELY ride along when they test drive/appraise your car. When I traded my 3000GT for my 300ZX (the salesman didn't even walk outside to look at my car,he already had a buyer waiting for it that REALLY wanted one of those cars,he just looked outside to make sure it was actually there haha). I did an even trade for trade,all I paid were the tax title and licensing fees (a few hundred bucks).

Only thing that sucks about selling your car yourself via private party transaction,is that you'll have everybody and everyone wanting to take it for a drive and most will just be wasting your time. When I sold my 86 300ZX turbo,the guy showed up at my house with a trailer (didn't even start the car) and pushed it up on it. Gave me cash on the spot,the exact amount I was making/advertising.

Before you go to the dealership,print out both NADA and Kelly blue book values and do the same for the car you're interested in buying.

Originally Posted By: Rojack

You can also require a cashiers check from the buyers bank. NEVER take a personal check.

Hi,

I dont trust anyone driving my car but me and I dont know telling the appraiser this is considered inappropriate or insulting to him/her?

It is insulting. You want them to offer you a respectable amount for trade-in & won't let them drive it? I'd offer scrap times two. Don't like it? Let me take it for a spin before I commit thousands of dollars...

I would be surprised if they even drove the car honestly. I traded in a few year old Civic once and he just looked at it real quick and based on the miles offered me a number.

Hi,

I am considering trading in my MINT condition 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan with 18,000 miles for a new 2015 Civic EX. If I was to have a dealer appraise my Civic, do I or should I go along with the appraiser on the test drive?
I dont trust anyone driving my car but me and I dont know telling the appraiser this is considered inappropriate or insulting to him/her? What is the proper protocol for this??

Ummm, why...? You will lose a bunch of money for what is for all intensive purposes a " slightly... " better car.

And if the 2015 is way better, why would you expect any decent resale on you 2 year old car...?

Where I live, Ford F-150's just plunged in value. The new model is perceived to be "so much better..." that nobody wants the last gen models... including dealers, so they low ball any trades. It has to be really cheap to sell when sitting across the lot from the brand new model.

And if you are serious about selling or trading your car, you will need to let somebody else drive it... they need to know how the engine revs and pulls, and how (if...) the tranny shifts, and if a manual, how the clutch feels, as well as check for any noticeable clunks, rattles etc. when the car is moving...

No test drive... no sale.

Sell it private. They play it a few ways, here's two of them. Lowball your trade, then try and lowball the new ride, and ream you on the back end of the deal. Or they over pay a bit on the trade, and screw you on the new ride. Either way you lose. In the second case if you walk out and go somewhere else telling them you were offered good money for the trade, that makes it harder for the next dealership to sell you a car and take your trade. We lovingly called that "if you can't write it wreck it." I would never trade in a vehicle that had any value at all.

Guys,
If a do private sale, I would ONLY accept CASH. no exceptions. RELAX guys, I only said I am considering this. The 2015 Civic adds a CVT, PUSH button start, auto headlights, totally new improved 8" infotainment display/system, upgraded seat fabric, keyless access.

2 years ago, I sold my MINT 2005 Elantra private and sold it literally in 6 hours! I took a bunch of great digital pictures, posted on Craigs List and within 20 minutes received 5 calls.
The first person brought it the next morning with CASH. It doesnt get any better than that!!

ARC,
I test drove the 2015 Accord LX, VERY nice car with one LARGE exception...the harsh, stiff, firm ride quality. Thats a deal breaker. The Civic rides noticeably smoother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back