Offroading wheel bearing grease recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I off-road quite a bit and as I understand it lithium based greases don't have the best washout properties. I'll be replacing all the wheel bearings and bearing races soon due to age and abuse over the years and I figured this would be the best time to switch to a grease with a different soaping agent. I'm not spending hours in water or anything but I definitely do go into deep water regularly. I'm considering redlines cv2 grease because I've read good things online and I've had good luck with their other products. Do you guys think this is going to be a good choice or do you guys recommend something else?

In terms of staying where you put it and not spreading or washing out, I find red rubber grease to be the best.

Don't know if I'd use it on wheel bearings though, maybe just use normal grease but seal the, to prevent moisture ingress?

RL CV2 uses a calcium sulfonate soap base which is ideal for resisting water washout and rust as well as soluble moly for load carrying.

I use CAT Desert Gold moly grease for the splines, tie rod ends and unis on my 4wd for the same reason, ie calcium sulfonate is probably the best soap/thickener for resisting water and corrosion.
This grease can also be used for rolling element bearings due to the MoS2 platelet size, but CV2 is my preferred wheel bearing grease for off road use ATM.

This is the stuff I'm using now, and will use as a go to for most applications now. :Synthetic Water Resistant Grease calcium-sulfonate

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/synthetic-water-resistant-grease/?page=%2fstorefront%2fgwr.aspx

Originally Posted By: buck91
One thing to consider is tempered operating range, especially in disc brake wheel bearings.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

This smartphone keyboard kills me. The temperature range. Disc brake wheel bearings tend to require more of a high temp grease. Check your specs or service procedures to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back