Castrol Edge 0W20 - 02 Chevy Silverado 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
WReQsrE.jpg

My results using Castrol Edge Black Bottle 0W20 with Titanium
E49LVoj.jpg

So much for wanting to run extended OCI's, the TBN is at 2.9 with just 6 months and 5,000mi on the oil. Either the virgin oil has a low TBN to start with or the engine just beat the fudge out of this oil.

There is titanium in the newer bottles of Castrol Edge BB. Not sure how much in a VOA but seems weak in this UOA. Previous oil was M1 and other oils I used did not have titanium as an addtive so it was not additive carryover

Originally Posted By: wirelessF

So much for wanting to run extended OCI's, the TBN is at 2.9 with just 6 months and 5,000mi on the oil. Either the virgin oil has a low TBN to start with or the engine just beat the fudge out of this oil.
Why run 0W-20 in an engine that calls for 5W-30 (especially in Hawaii)? Not criticizing, just curious. Perhaps that's why the oil is wearing out quickly?
21.gif

My butt puckered a bit when I saw that you used a 0W-20 oil in a 5W-30 speced engine. I have thought about it in the past for my 2009 Chevy 6 liter truck for a winter OCI but never had the balls to try it.

Has anybody else done this?

This report looks great to me. A TBN of 2.9 doesn't mean it can't go longer or is used up already. You might could go another 2 months, but you won't know without the data.

Do you get to top off any? What are the trips like? Short trips as in less than 5 miles? 10 miles or longer instead?

I'd say it could at least go another month or 1k miles at minimum.

Last edited:
Good comments above. TBN looks fine, good for another 3,000 miles maybe. Wear is low. Good run! Notice KV100 is 9.58, which means it oxidized a bit into a 5w-30 near the end of the run. So running a 0w-20 may not be a bad idea with this situation, it gradually thickens some anyway. I just don't see how you could do much better, if at all, using anything else.

It is strange Titanium was so low. Should be about 40 ppm, there was only 6 ppm !!! What????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My butt puckered a bit when I saw that you used a 0W-20 oil in a 5W-30 speced engine. I have thought about it in the past for my 2009 Chevy 6 liter truck for a winter OCI but never had the balls to try it.

Has anybody else done this?

I ran M1 5-20 in the 70s in engines calling for 10-40.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this report ISN'T Castrol Edge black bottle.

Newest Edge products use a Calcium and Magnesium detergent combo, and you have no Mg in this report. Also, as said above, there is about 30-50ppm of Ti additive, which isn't here.

Also, a full-syn would not thicken up in just 5k miles, but a 5W-30 would shear down a bit...this looks like Formula Shell 5W-30 that sheared down a bit.

Check recent UOA's (I'll try to find one) and you will see that this definitely isn't a report for the oil you used....

Was considering running Red Line 5W20 in my 2003 4.8 Silverado with 39K miles. Was thinking of putting a quart and a half of Castrol TWS in a 6 quart fill to bump the viscosity a bit. Or just run the Red Line 5W20.

This fill of Castrol Edge 0W20 ended up a little thicker than the 5W20 Red Line starts at 9.0.

That oil is nowhere near shot yet. If you want to run a 20 grade I would suggest gold bottle 5w20 though and just run it 10k.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Was considering running Red Line 5W20 in my 2003 4.8 Silverado with 39K miles. Was thinking of putting a quart and a half of Castrol TWS in a 6 quart fill to bump the viscosity a bit. Or just run the Red Line 5W20.

This fill of Castrol Edge 0W20 ended up a little thicker than the 5W20 Red Line starts at 9.0.

RedLine is just too different being a POE oil. No mix-ee mix-ee please with other oils. I'd mix within one brand, but even that could be a problem. Chemistry can be surprising. Most oils use Group III or PAO, and are basically compatible, but then additive packs are an unknown.

Redline 5w-20 is stout enough all on its own to handle a Chevy V8 anyway. Synthetic 20's do well in UOAs.

Looks ok to me. I ran RLI 5w-20 in my 02 Silverado's 5.3 and the UOA came back just fine.

Everyone seems to have no issues running a thicker oil but can't accept trying a thinner. In a healthy engine, I don't see why it wouldn't work OK. UOA will let you know how things are going just like in this thread.

Probably could take it further, since TBN depletion is not linear.

Originally Posted By: Danh
O
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I appear to be mistaken, Castrol appears to have changed the add-pack on this oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Syn#Post3728486

But, in explanation, here is what the previous add-pack looked like:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...lac#Post3535953

Sorry!

I wonder which oil is newer? Was about to jump on the low-calcium Castrol diet for my DI engine, but now I'm not sure. Arghh - why do they makes things so hard?

The gold bottle has been using a magnesium heavy formulation for quite a while. Very common for "extended drain" oils. Not sure on which/if black bottle does.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I appear to be mistaken, Castrol appears to have changed the add-pack on this oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Syn#Post3728486

But, in explanation, here is what the previous add-pack looked like:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...lac#Post3535953

Sorry!

All the VOA's were for the old formula but since no one did a VOA or UOA I wanted to do one with the new formula to see what additives show up. Nick and I apparently were the first few to sample this oil and now have confirmed the new formula only has 6ppm of titianum vs the old formula.

All the VOA's were for the old formula but since no one did a VOA or UOA I wanted to do one with the new formula to see what additives show up. Nick and I apparently were the first few to sample this oil and now have confirmed the new formula only has 6ppm of titianum vs the old formula.

Titanium was almost erased, compared to the old 40 ppm (down to 6 ppm now!). Kendall GT-1 has 90 ppm titanium btw. For a while at least Mobil Super conventional was getting titanium in substantial amounts. But 6 ppm? Just enough to claim it on the bottle!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
This report looks great to me. A TBN of 2.9 doesn't mean it can't go longer or is used up already. You might could go another 2 months, but you won't know without the data.

Do you get to top off any? What are the trips like? Short trips as in less than 5 miles? 10 miles or longer instead?

I'd say it could at least go another month or 1k miles at minimum.

Didn't have to top off oil luckily. Driving in Hawaii is almost considered severe service, considering that were are in the top for worst traffic and most freeway driving is less than 15 miles one way. I also do a lot of in-city errand-hopping so oil might not reach operating temp by the time I completed my errands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back