Repaint vs New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Never had to have any part of a car repainted but the fender on my 2010 Taurus is badly badly stone chipped. Local shops want $375-400 to repaint it and blend into the doors. For the same price I can get a new fender pre-painted and install it myself. Now what I'm wondering is if the new pre-painted one would match? I can get it for around the same price as a shop doing. So, DIY it or let a shop do it?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Throt

If color match is important blending is the only real way to do this, the shop painting an aftermarket fender for a DIY install will use the most common color variation.
What color is this?

Originally Posted By: Trav
If color match is important blending is the only real way to do this, the shop painting an aftermarket fender for a DIY install will use the most common color variation.
What color is this?
\

Silver Ingot

contact your local Vocational HS. the auto body programs usually need cars for the kids to work on, and they normally only charge for parts. however they aren't usually the quickest(if this is your DD, with no "back up" car....)

If it were a black car you could avoid the blend and just paint the fender. On silver, the Pre-painted will stand out like a sore thumb.

$400 isn't a bad price for the repaint and blend. Like said, if you don't mind some color mis-match, get the pre-painted aftermarket fender and swap it out yourself.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: Trav
What color is this?
\

Silver Ingot

The chance of a good match is slim and none, get it painted. Silver,bronze and reds are the worst of the worst to match.

Knowing that Ohio's roads are almost as bad as ours, that might be like [censored] money into the wind.

I thought about doing that myself,only to realize it will be like that in a few months....

Have you looked at other options to minimize the appearance of road rash? There couple of products but my advanced age is drawing a complete blank on the name. Somebody else will chime in. With all things considered, that would be the most sensible approach for following reasons

1) Most cost effective
2) No body work
3) factory paint intact
4) No blending

In 35 years of using body shop services paid by insurance companies, I am now convinced that they just can not get the repaint ever as good and as reliable as factory job. Sooner or later, the repaint is going to "expire" earlier than the factory paint. It is inevitable.

One does repaint when there is absolutely no other choice. But otherwise, do try to avoid it.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Hi all

Never had to have any part of a car repainted but the fender on my 2010 Taurus is badly badly stone chipped. Local shops want $375-400 to repaint it and blend into the doors. For the same price I can get a new fender pre-painted and install it myself. Now what I'm wondering is if the new pre-painted one would match? I can get it for around the same price as a shop doing. So, DIY it or let a shop do it?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Throt

Take it to a body shop and have it done right, or just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back