Tires for 2006 Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
... I think the porker of a van would benefit from a truck biased tire compared to how it performs with a passenger car tire.

If you move to a 225/70/16 , slightly narrower and a touch taller, you open up a whole new world of truck tires...

I run Nokian R Suv winter tires in that size ... work fantastic.

When the time comes to replace the tires on my Ody, I will likely be going with the Continental LX20s. There are a few reviews on Tirerack on them installed on 3rd gen Odys and they are very positive. I think the porker of a van would benefit from a truck biased tire compared to how it performs with a passenger car tire.
I had the Continental LX20s put on my grandmother's Trailblazer and they won't balance. Just took it in yesterday for its 4th balance in 6 months and will take it out on the highway out of town on Saturday. If they still shake I'll make a post on here.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When the time comes to replace the tires on my Ody, I will likely be going with the Continental LX20s. There are a few reviews on Tirerack on them installed on 3rd gen Odys and they are very positive. I think the porker of a van would benefit from a truck biased tire compared to how it performs with a passenger car tire.
I had the Continental LX20s put on my grandmother's Trailblazer and they won't balance. Just took it in yesterday for its 4th balance in 6 months and will take it out on the highway out of town on Saturday. If they still shake I'll make a post on here.

Have you looked and watched them balance them? If they won't balance after 4 attempts it's one of 3 things. Incompetent tech, out of round tires from the factory, or the rims are bent. If it is coming from all 4, it is probably the tech. If it is just one or 2, it is one of the latter two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccap41

Have you looked and watched them balance them? If they won't balance after 4 attempts it's one of 3 things. Incompetent tech, out of round tires from the factory, or the rims are bent. If it is coming from all 4, it is probably the tech. If it is just one or 2, it is one of the latter two.
I have watched them balance them 2 of the first 3 times, then yesterday I couldn't see them do it because they took the tires to the back and "Road Force" balanced them. They said only 1 tire was 1/4 of an ounce out of balance. I asked him if they still shake what to do and he said to bring them back and they might put Michelins back on the car (which I'll never let happen).

I'm kind of leaning that way too. I am also considering the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Touring for $560. which includes alignment and installation before tax.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Went to the Ford store that I deal with and was presented with five options (four actually, because I still don't really want another set of Michelins.) All have $120. in mail-in rebate except for the Generals. All prices are for four tires installed OTD after rebates:

Michelin Defender $651.85
Continental Cross Contact LX20 $643.25
General Altimax RT-43 $608.45
Dunlop Signature II $499.85
Yokohama Avid Touring-S $423.95

Only tires that I have any personal experience with are the last two. Really like the Yoko's but not sure how well they would hold up in the application. Same question about the Dunlops. Have had plenty of Generals but no experience with this model.
Input anyone?

Any feedback on these options?

The Dunlops seem to be a good value. They get positive reviews and seem to be a bit of a "sleeper" tire in the sense that it seems to perform well and at a reasonable price. They were on my short list when I bought tires for my CR-V. Given the trouble I've had with the Firestones, I sort of wish I had bought the Dunlops.

I had a version of those on my Accord as OEM. Not a bad tire, again my issue is the application. I have had 2 Honda vans and both have been tire hogs, the 2006 has been slightly better than the 2000 we had previously.

... have watched them balance them 2 of the first 3 times, then yesterday I couldn't see them do it because they took the tires to the back and "Road Force" balanced them. They said only 1 tire was 1/4 of an ounce out of balance. I asked him if they still shake what to do and he said to bring them back and they might put Michelins back on the car (which I'll never let happen).

You can " balance..." a square wheel... it will spin on the balance machine and show as balanced, but it obviously won't roll smooth...

Same thing with tires, the wheel/tire assembly can be "balanced..." , as in show zero's on the balance machine, but not roll smooth. Road force variation is the most common reason a tire vibrates.

Balancing a tire is a simple operation... with modern balance machines, scewing up a balance job is hard. The machine tells you where to put the weights... then you do a final spin, and see if it shows zero's.

And a shop that has tried 4 times to balance a tire is missing the key point... it's not the "balance..." that is the problem, it's something else...

If a tire vibrates after balancing, do the following:

Leave the weights ON, and spin the wheel again. If it shows as balanced, or very close, then chances are the balance is fine, but roadforce or out of round is the problem. And I did some experiments with balance on a previous car, seeing how out of balance a tire needs to be to vibrate. It took more than 1 1/2 oz to start to be very noticeable... a 1/4 or 1/2 oz was imperceptable, at least on that particular car... (Acura Integra...)

Too many shops get the wheel, rip off the weights, and balance the tire again... and sometimes again and again....!

Roadforce balancing works very very well, IF... and that's a big if, the technician understands what the issue is, and knows how to use the machine, AND takes the time to PROPERLY match mount the tires. This involves spinning the tire, and measuring for rim runout and tire variance. Then breaking down the assembly and rotating the tire as per the machines instructions... then "balancing..." the tire, while also measuring road force variation. A correct roadforce balance takes 2 to 3 times as long to do as a "regular..." balance job, so many shops only roadforce balance on comebacks... if they have a roadforce balance machine at all.

Old school is to leave weights on and spin the tire... if balance checks out, THEN remove the weights, break down the tire, rotate it 180 * , and rebalance... this often takes care of the vibration issue. You have about a 1/4 chance of randomly getting the stiff part of the tire mounted at the high spot of the wheel. This often leads to vibrations that no regular balance job will ever fix. Then the customer blames the tech, but the tech is doing exactly what the machine says. Then the tech blames the car... or the tires, or something. Then customer goes to a different shop for a "better.." balance job, and gets the same vibration... frustrating and a waste of everyone's time...!

Last edited:
Well I'll drive the car on Saturday for about 220 miles round trip highway and see how it does.

The thing is, I had just driven it on the highway with the Michelins that were on before and those were ALWAYS as smooth as glass. They just dry rotted like crazy and I don't want Michelins again. Had 3 sets dry rot.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
... I think the porker of a van would benefit from a truck biased tire compared to how it performs with a passenger car tire.

If you move to a 225/70/16 , slightly narrower and a touch taller, you open up a whole new world of truck tires...

I run Nokian R Suv winter tires in that size ... work fantastic.

The stock size on my van is 235/60R18, so I'm a bit limited in what truck biased tires I have to choose from.

I'm kind of leaning that way too. I am also considering the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Touring for $560. which includes alignment and installation before tax.

There's a good deal of good feedback with the Goodyear, and I was considering that one too until I saw that the 18s I need are over $200 a piece. No thanks, but that seems like a good price for the 16s you'll need. Plus, I've been having balancing issues with the Eagle GTs on my Audi so I'm steering away from Goodyear for the time being.

A whole thread on tire recommendations, with complaints about size availability, and the OP can't be bothered to list his tire size.
mad.gif

Assuming it is 235/65R16, the Continental TrueContact should be considered. Tirerack ranks it one better in that size than the RT43-T-Speed, with overall slightly better performance rankings in a bunch of categories. Price is just a few dollars more per tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back