Tahoe fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Tahoe needs a fuel pump.I realize that the oe is the best but I'm trying to save money as this months budget got blown to pieces. How are the other brands such as spectra? What about those ones on eBay for $85ish? How bad can they be?

It has the non flex fuel 5.3L vin "t"

Delphi or AC Delco unless you want a call from her while she's sitting on the side of the road. I just changed an Airtex that the float was shot on and was leaking from the pressure sensor.

Oh goody, you get to drop the gas tank. Hope you don't live where they salt the roads alot. Salt causes the u bolts and other hardware holding the tank to rust.pain in the butt it is. You can get a cheap one at auto zone but you'll probably be back under there changing it again in a few years if u do. I learned that the hard way. Check Napa price. Anywhere but the dealer that can sell an or oe good quality one if possible.

I don't think he lives within 1,000 miles of road salt
grin.gif

Denso and Bosch also make aftermarket pumps as does Carter - I would use any one of those over an Airtex anyday.

I dunno, everybody cusses the Airtex fuel pumps. But I used Airtex in my sons' Explorer, my dad's' Caddy Northstar, my buddy's '97 Silverado and the daughters Alero. All are 2 to 5 years old and working fine. I am told Airtex is OEM to Fiat / Chrysler.

Others always chime in with horror stories, my my experience has been good.

It seems the failure rate on a lot of aftermarket parts is application specific - Airtex (as much as I would never use them) may have a decent pump for one application, but garbage for a bunch of others.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, and I totally understand unexpected financial difficulties at times, but given the time and effort involved in replacing a fuel pump, it pays to get the best you can and call it a day - especially if it's a family hauler.

The GM Original Equipment pump comes in two different packages - the bare pump with the strainer (15205632), or the pump with sending unit, float and the strainer (19207716). The pump is $183.79 on RockAuto, the pump with all the accessories is $232.79. The Delphi is only slightly cheaper at $159.79 and $211.89 respectively. Good luck!

Chris, I'm sure you of all people understand where cutting corners in part quality can get you...

Whichever pump you decide on, make sure and load the circuit with a headlight or something and check for voltage drop on both sides of the circuit.

I would suggest you get things apart and out before getting a fuel pump. I had some rusted fittings snap and had to buy the fuel sender assembly which includes the pump the first time I replaced the pump. The next two times it was just the pump. (Older Suburban).

In this case I would spend extra $$ for higher quality as its a PIA repair you do not want to have to do over in a year.

Does your wife ever run out of gas? You can get low, but don't run out of gas in a GM vehicle.

I put an AirTex in my blazer about 4 years ago and just got done replacing it again a month ago.

Check out rockauto.com com you can get a good pump for about the same money as the airtex

A lot of cars have an access panel in the floor so you can change the fuel pump without having to drop the tank. I don't know if the Tahoe has one though. If you can change the pump without dropping the tank, then go cheap. If you have to drop the tank, go OEM.

I recently replaced the 33 gallon gas tank in my Bronco. I thought about replacing the fuel pump while I had the tank out, but for me it was OEM or nothing. I would rather have the original pump with 222k miles on it than an aftermarket one. I couldn't really afford a new OEM one, and the old one was still working fine, so I reinstalled the old one. I may or may not end up regretting that later.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Wife's Tahoe needs a fuel pump.I realize that the oe is the best but I'm trying to save money as this months budget got blown to pieces. How are the other brands such as spectra? What about those ones on eBay for $85ish? How bad can they be?

It has the non flex fuel 5.3L vin "t"

Chris,
Ironically, I just replaced my 01 Tahoe's fuel pump on Memorial Day weekend. I chose a Delphi, and believe through research, the AC Delco you'd get at a dealer is a Delphi.

Good luck, and stay away from Airtek....

Originally Posted By: ronp
Oh goody, you get to drop the gas tank. Hope you don't live where they salt the roads alot. Salt causes the u bolts and other hardware holding the tank to rust.pain in the butt it is. You can get a cheap one at auto zone but you'll probably be back under there changing it again in a few years if u do. I learned that the hard way. Check Napa price. Anywhere but the dealer that can sell an or oe good quality one if possible.

Oh yeah.... 15 years on MN roads did wonders to my hardware...

Originally Posted By: Donald

Does your wife ever run out of gas? You can get low, but don't run out of gas in a GM vehicle.
More than once. More like once a month. I have ordered a delphi from rock auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back