Would anyone here take a salaried job at Burger K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're supposed to work 46+ hours/week on salary. And if someone quits or calls in sick and you can't find a replacement from a phone call, you have to cover their shift...even if you will get no sleep.

To be a manager or assistant manager, you have to be able to afford a car that runs, on what is less than a living wage. It is common practice to hold managers responsible for unrealistic labor costs and so subsequently they end up working shifts to keep costs down. Problem with that is once a manager performs functions of an hourly person they have just violated labor laws. Does not mean that it will stop.

Anyone interested? I've noticed many fast food joints are hiring salaried positions.

I think the entire thing stinks!!

Skip salaried type jobs if you know you will work extra.... without the extra pay.

I chose to stay hourly employee so I can rack up an extra $30+K in OT.

No it's a awful job I've known many people who are in this position in various food related industry you can end up closing one night and opening the next day it's ridiculous. Way underpaid for all the bull they put up with. Turn over rate on the people who you cover is too high, the entire thing stinks.

Except with a salaried job, you get a 'regular', steady paycheck that can help with a LOT of other things.

ANY type of borrowing situation becomes easier when the lender knows you have a steady pay that doesn't fluctuate based on hours worked.

Believe me, I've seen people with full-time but hourly jobs for years get turned down for loans b/c hourly pay isn't guaranteed one week to the next.

In the market we are in, it actually makes a better job than many...

You expect a living wage from a fast food joint?

It's an entry level job (yes, even the "managerial" positions). There are lots of opportunites for not only skilled trades, but for 2 and 4 year degree holders. Leave the burger flipping jobs to those who choose not to invest in themselves and their education, or are young enough to be working evenings in high school. Anyone can do better, and everyone should strive to do better.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You're supposed to work 46+ hours/week on salary. And if someone quits or calls in sick and you can't find a replacement from a phone call, you have to cover their shift...even if you will get no sleep.

To be a manager or assistant manager, you have to be able to afford a car that runs, on what is less than a living wage. It is common practice to hold managers responsible for unrealistic labor costs and so subsequently they end up working shifts to keep costs down. Problem with that is once a manager performs functions of an hourly person they have just violated labor laws. Does not mean that it will stop.

Anyone interested? I've noticed many fast food joints are hiring salaried positions.

I think the entire thing stinks!!

Whats the pay?

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
It still is America.
You're not forced to work anywhere.
If you don't like a job, get a different one.

That's true and a clever catch 22 today because unlike 40 years ago or more you CANNOT find DECENT paying jobs with just a HS diploma and not everyone can afford additional education to move ahead. Basically even if you are a hard working person you will only move laterally from
dead end job to dead end job. Economic servitude. You are basically a slave to the economic system in the USA.

Last edited:
I used to be a salaried restaurant manager. Then decided to get an education in critical thinking.
Worked hard, networked, planned, worked smart and had some luck come my way. Retired young.

Neither a slave nor a victim.

"Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town..
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way." -Mason, Waters, Wright & Gilmour

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
It still is America.

That's true and a clever catch 22 today because unlike 40 years ago or more you CANNOT find DECENT paying jobs with just a HS diploma and not everyone can afford additional education to move ahead. Basically even if you are a hard working person you will only move laterally from
dead end job to dead end job. Economic servitude. You are basically a slave to the economic system in the USA.

You must be banking on no one here was working in the 60's and 70's. NOT the good old days.

It still is America.

Or just don't work
Or just get drunk and crash your motorcycle
Both will give you free heat, a government phone, health care and days free to mill around town.

Sounds horrible, but perhaps a place to start. My first job was a grocery clerk; had to wear a tie for a min wage job! A few times I would close at night, yet show up first thing in the morn--we swapped shifts sometimes, if someone had plans.

Didn't bother me. Got my feet wet, built some job history. Pocket money too for the typical high schooler.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
It still is America.

As someone else said..you were not around in the 60's and 70's. Put down your copy of The Communist Manifesto and get back to the real world.

Don't like the job? Don't take it. Life comes with no guarantees. You might be poor even though you tried to do everything right and you might become rich even though you did everything wrong. Blame the system if you want..its a free country. But don't expect everyone to adopt your philosophy.

It still is America.

110% agree.

I believe all work is noble and should be respected. My immigrant grandmother (with a 3rd grade education and poor English skills) worked for 20+ years as a cleaning woman - worked the 4-12 midnight shift cleaning office buildings for low pay. She never complained, and was the most honest, hardworking, and generous person I have known.

Having said that each person in the US has the ability to go out and get the best job they are are qualified to work (if the have the motivation and discipline to do so). To get a great job, a person needs to invest in themselves and have the drive and hustle to better themselves. If someone is in a bad dead end job, what are they doing about it on a daily basis?...they have no one to blame but themselves and their lack of motivation and discipline.

Burger king pays [censored] salary for the jobs because some people are willing to work for that rate. That's fine but no one is forcing anyone to take a bad [censored] salary job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is one of the side effects of no union representation, employees get taken advantage of.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ion#Post3763761

I disagree.

Like KzMitch says - "You're not forced to work anywwhere"... If you have a job you don't like...leave and get a different one.

The people I work with love Unions because it amounts to nothing more than legal extortion. They want to be able to band together and force their employer into submission or face extinction if the employees don't get what they want.

We face that all the time here in California when the Nurses Unions decide they want more money - they hold innocent people hostage in fear of a job walk-out if they don't get what they want, i.e., more $$$.

Ed

Last edited:
As with pretty much everything, it depends on the salary.

BK is a huge company. If you work hard, get some education along the way, and want to move above a store manager, you can. It's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back