Anybody miss the Lea & Perrins BBQ Sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the mid-'90s one of my family members turned me on to Lea & Perrins BBQ sauce. It was the perfect sauce; a spicy, bold taste and not too sweet. The last several years I have been unable to find it. After searching via Google it's apparent that Lea & Perrins discontinued their BBQ sauce. Anybody here remember it? I miss it a lot. I see there are a couple of recipes online that attempt to replicate it. Anybody know of a BBQ sauce that is similar to Lea & Perrins, or have a recipe to make your own?

We use Lea & Perrins Steak sauce and love it. It is hard to find. Never tried the BBQ sauce.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You can make it...

Recipe saved. I will attempts to make it in the next few days and see how it is. Looks good.

Never tried it myself as I've been making my own for a few decades now. With that said, Cook's Illustrated has done a taste test on BBQ sauces and their criteria were yours: bold, spicy and not too sweet. The winner was Bullseye. You might like it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Amazon has more L&P products than you can shake a stick at.

That's nice. Please let us know if you see Amazon selling Lea & Perrins BBQ saice.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You can make it...

Recipe saved. I will attempts to make it in the next few days and see how it is. Looks good.

That recipe seems easy enough; love to hear your feedback if you try making it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Never tried it myself as I've been making my own for a few decades now. With that said, Cook's Illustrated has done a taste test on BBQ sauces and their criteria were yours: bold, spicy and not too sweet. The winner was Bullseye. You might like it.

Thanks, I'll get a bottle of Bullseye the next time I see it.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Thanks, I'll get a bottle of Bullseye the next time I see it.

You're welcome. Let us know if it's a good fit or not.

I bought a bottle of Bullseye and have tried it a couple of times. I like it, but still miss the Lea & Perrins. I bought a bottle of the L&P worcestershire sauce, so maybe I'll try their bbq recipe to see how it compares.

L&P had the best steak sauce I have ever had. It was rich and complex and just right on just about everything.
Sadly it was discontinued about 15 years ago. I wrote the company, to no avail, they told me the sales did not justify its continued production. Happily as short time ago, I found the new version of their steak sauce in WalMart of all places. It is called "Bold" and comes in the famous paper wrapped bottle. If you run across it, I highly recommend it.
I have never seen the BBQ sauce in my area, but I bet it was great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back