HM Oil And/Or An Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew just recently graduated from high school. For a graduate present his parents offered to buy him a better vehicle to use for to and from LSU (about 60 miles round trip).
He had always said he liked my truck and wanted one like it, or just a swb truck. I helped his parents find an 06 F150 like mine (mine is an 07), but with a 5 speed.
Fast forward, he changed the oil using PU 5W20 with a Motorcraft oil filter. Well, he called me last night stating that his engine is now leaking oil, which looks like the RMS.
He knows my dad used VML and Lubro Moly to stop a small RMS leak and asked if he should do the same. I asked him about how much oil is leaking or dripping. He stated that there is a spot about 6"-8" in diameter under the rear part of the engine, on the concrete, and he can see oil on the oil pan/trans where they come together. I told him to let me do some research and I would get back with him in a couple of days.
Besides having it checked for a RMS leak and going the R&R of the RMS right now, are there any suggestions on a HM oil and/or an additive?

If you wanna throw an alphabet soup at it, go for the Maxlife, LM, and a bottle of AT-205

If it does something, it buys him time to get money together for a proper repair

Well I would first try a full synthetic oil to see if the better seal conditioners in the synthetic oil can better condition the seal than dino. Expect it to leak, maybe get worse before it gets better.

After one oil change if the leak is not gone , then maybe HM oil with its seal swelling additives.

Or fix the RMS.

No additives.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Maxlife almost stopped mine.
Excellent stuff.
Yes yes, until you can replace the seal.

I went to see my nephew this AM. I do think his engine has a RMS leak and maybe from the oil pan as well. The way the 4.2 V6 RMS and oil pan gasket are configured it could be one or the other, or both.
When he first got the truck I recommended the PU along with a MC oil filter. His mom (my sister) and dad took the truck to a trusted auto service center to have it inspected before they bought it. The underside was dry as a bone, AKA-NO LEAKS! It's strange that it started leaking, and bad, after changing the oil with PU. The truck was bought from a private owner who stated he only used MC 5W20 oil and MC oil filters.
I suggested he try the VML 10W30 and see if it helps. In the meantime, his dad is going to call the shop that inspected it and ask for a RMS R&R price quote.

Sounds like the previous owner cleaned up the leak really well and it stayed clean long enough until your nephew took possession of it. In any event - I would go with the MAXLIFE recommendation and it may take a few thousand miles to fully realize an improvement.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Maybe go back to the trusted repair shop that did the oil change. Tell them it is now leaking. Maybe they made a mess up top that's still dripping.

One of my cousins did the OCI. I was there and I did not see him spill any oil.
smile.gif

Maxlife worked for a couple years on my moms rear seal leak on f150 for a couple years before she got a new ride

Originally Posted By: ronp
Maxlife worked for a couple years on my moms rear seal leak on f150 for a couple years before she got a new ride

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My nephew and his dad did an OCI today with 10W30 VML and a MC oil filter.
To be continued.........

After putting almost 500 miles on his truck since the VML OCI, the leak did not get any better. My brother in law brought the truck to his friend and had the RMS replaced. $425 later, plus tax, the oil leak is fixed. The RMS had a slight tear in the lip. He kept the RMS for me. I will get it tomorrow and take pics.
BTW, he also had the shop do an OCI with PU 5W30 and a MC oil filter.
thumbsup2.gif

We should have seen this one coming:

Now we can get Fram "high mileage" oil filters
with the additive in the can.

Play it again Sam , this time without the Teflon.

To be continued.........

After putting almost 500 miles on his truck since the VML OCI, the leak did not get any better. My brother in law brought the truck to his friend and had the RMS replaced. $425 later, plus tax, the oil leak is fixed. The RMS had a slight tear in the lip. He kept the RMS for me. I will get it tomorrow and take pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Thats a good price around here that would have cost atleast double what he did to replace it. Of course thats at a shop. Do it yourself is way cheaper, unless your like me with a mechanic for a brother then its diy price with the help of a professional. Im lucky.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
To be continued.........

thumbsup2.gif

Thats a good price around here that would have cost atleast double what he did to replace it. Of course thats at a shop. Do it yourself is way cheaper, unless your like me with a mechanic for a brother then its diy price with the help of a professional. Im lucky.

This job was done by an ASE certified mechanic shop.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
We should have seen this one coming:

Now we can get Fram "high mileage" oil filters
with the additive in the can.

Play it again Sam , this time without the Teflon.

Um, what exactly are you trying to say? I am totally confused by your reply.
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back