How to clean spark plugs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasoline? I'll be honest if never really cleaned spark plugs unless I didn't have any on hand at the time.

I would just pour gasoline on them and burn them then pour a little gasoline in a rag to clean off the ash.

Considering the extreme heat at a spark plug, I would speculate the answer to be no.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to bother with it? Are you extreme OCD? Considering that most of the insulator is covered with the boot, and the rest of the spark plug is typically hidden down inside the cylinder head, besides you, who will ever know if the spark plugs are white, yellow, brown, or whatever.

LOL, keep feeding em' Merk. I'll be right here eating popcorn
35.gif

Scrubbing bubbles does a good job of bringing the white back. After that I find that a quick spray of Pledge helps protect them and keep them whiter longer.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You need a "spark plug cleaner ".
I know why you know about spark plug cleaners.. Fess up and splain about the spark plug cleaner
cool.gif

This question should posted in a Chinese board. Chinese knows how to clean everything, and with the cheap labor they can clean 8 plugs for a price of 1 new plug.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Considering the extreme heat at a spark plug, I would speculate the answer to be no.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to bother with it? Are you extreme OCD? Considering that most of the insulator is covered with the boot, and the rest of the spark plug is typically hidden down inside the cylinder head, besides you, who will ever know if the spark plugs are white, yellow, brown, or whatever.

+1

Doesn't anyone remember those spark plug cleaners that were hooked up to an air hose and had some abrasive sand inside. You poked the spark plug into the top flexible part and wiggled it around while you held down the button. This was back in the day when ignition systems had points and condensers and needed to be serviced every now and then. The spark plugs would foul and all you did was clean them, re-gap them and put them back. You would date this sometime before about 1980 back when they had just invented the electric light and indoor plumbing, the age before cell phones where life was rugged and only the tough survived.

Burn off the carbon with a propane torch is "old school". I'll still do this occasionally with lawn and garden equipment. But cars these days just get new plugs. The plugs are not that expensive and are usually difficult / time consuming to replace in a car.

When I was a Honda mechanic in the 90's, the dealer had a spark plug cleaner in the shop. It was used to recondition plugs on used car trade in's if the plugs were suspect. It worked very well on plugs that weren't eroded.

If you are going through all the trouble of pulling them out, why would someone do a half a$$ job and not do it right.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
When I was a Honda mechanic in the 90's, the dealer had a spark plug cleaner in the shop. It was used to recondition plugs on used car trade in's if the plugs were suspect. It worked very well on plugs that weren't eroded.

Did it clean the white part of the plug real good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back