0W-16 Seq IVA, VIII, IIIG, VG Test Results & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose 0W20 were they comparing it against ?

Oh...they were comparing them against the API limits...which every licenced oil HAS to exceed.

I would never put a HTHS 2.4 oil in an engine...Never...Ever...Never Ever, I say.

I wonder how they got such a low Seq IVA....Very nice.

0.5mg bearing wear vs max of 26mg seems impressive (from what I've read at bitog about the dangers of going too thin - my memory is not perfect on this so I might be mistaken).

Piston deposit results are not stellar however while NOACK I guess benefits from less VII's(?)

Per the other discussion (actually many others), the Sequence IV is additive dependent, with the temperatures chosen to be "the perfect storm" with regard to viscosity and additive activation.

It's not unimpressive, don't get me wrong, but the implication of the paper is that it's so much better than a competetors 0W20 oil, not the absolute limits of acceptance (I think, but need to check that the limits aren't different for viscosities either, so they could claim better than a 5W40 too, but then would have to acknowledge that their 0W20 is the same as a 5W40)

Would really like to know Seq IVA on Magnatec for comparison
smile.gif

VI=156 - There probably is some VII polymers(?) making them there piston dirty
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Lex94
smile.gif

Well at 24 it falls into the yellow range in the chart which is considered statistically the same. The oils in the chart are 5w30's from the time when Valvoline tested M1 and found it did not meet the standard.

artwor55.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
So, the ranges overlap, so it's possible to be a 0w16 and a 0w20 at the same time?

xw16 has min HTHS of 2.3. xw20 has min HTHS of 2.6.

I'm guessing that this is the real decider.

Honda and other imports probably will be peddling this stuff. And then you will have your better than OEM bitoger argues that it's thinner than water and runs 20W50 in their 2020 Honda HRV because that extra cushion yo.

Last edited:
If they start pushing it for already back spec'd 5w30 engines you bet. If they sell the engine globally with only this oil i believe the engine was designed for it, but when other countries spec for something different you know they are full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
smile.gif

I've read that Castrol's internal limit is a third lower than the sequence IV pass.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
smile.gif

I've read that Castrol's internal limit is a third lower than the sequence IV pass.

To be clear, it is a third of the normal spec pass limit, rather than a third lower.

And the Temporary Shear Ratio is: really close to 1.0. Had to make an assumption about the density because it's not on the spec sheet. But I doubt that it will shear out of grade. With the low TBN, it doesn't seem like an oil for longer than 5-6k mile change intervals. Ravenol did a good job of formulating it for low volatility.

I doubt that I'll ever own a car that requires it, and I'm sure I can find cheaper oils to lubricate my hair clippers.
smile.gif

I'm a little surprised that it was a German company that was first to market with a 16-weight. Seems like they would be next to last to formulate uber-thin oils. (The Australians would be last.)

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
And the Temporary Shear Ratio is: really close to 1.0. Had to make an assumption about the density because it's not on the spec sheet. But I doubt that it will shear out of grade. With the low TBN, it doesn't seem like an oil for longer than 5-6k mile change intervals. Ravenol did a good job of formulating it for low volatility.

I doubt that I'll ever own a car that requires it, and I'm sure I can find cheaper oils to lubricate my hair clippers.
smile.gif

I'm a little surprised that it was a German company that was first to market with a 16-weight. Seems like they would be next to last to formulate uber-thin oils. (The Australians would be last.)

Nope, Penrite racing 0W20 was always a 16.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3464208/Re:_Penrite_Racing_PDS_now_giv#Post3464208

Before Penrite went for a 16 publicly

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3621393/Penrite_ENVIRO+_0W-16_(Full_Sy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back