Resetting CEL after replacing gas cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Accord had a P1456 CEL, which basically means a faulty gas cap in Hondas. My 13 yr old cap had cracks on the gasket so I replaced it with an OEM one. I've driven about 50 miles so far and the light is still present.

Should it turn off after a certain amount of drive cycles/miles, or should I try pulling the neg. battery cable?

Last edited:
Guess you could pull the battery cable, but I'd give it some more time. It can take more than 50 miles and few cycles to disappear. I do know it can be aggravating though, last time after tightening the cap used my Actron Pocket Scan to cancel the code. Never came back.

If it were a GM you'd need the tank between 1/4 and 3/4 as well for it to run the test.

If you can't see the I/M flags though I'd leave the light on just to be sure, once it goes off, that you got it for good.

Every vehicle I've had with that issue has reset itself after x number of starts. Just drive it, the system should figure it out shortly.

Give it time. The Dakota reset itself within a couple of days after I replaced its gas cap, and IIRC, it took literally 2 days. I think the ignition on/off process plays more of a role than the actual miles driven.

drive a couple of weeks normally and it will clear itself.

That happened to my Honda fit also (cap determined to be good)...took 2 weeks to clear CEL.

Q.

I believe it requires 3 restarts with the car getting warm enough to open the thermostat before it resets.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I believe it requires 3 restarts with the car getting warm enough to open the thermostat before it resets.

Indeed it does. At least in most vehicles it takes 3 good trips to clear the code, 3 bad trips set it...

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
If you cannot get it to reset go to Auto Zone and ask them to reset it.

You can borrow the tool from an O Reillys to reset codes as well. I had to do it on my Scion when my cap failed.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
If you cannot get it to reset go to Auto Zone and ask them to reset it.

Some stores won't clear codes. They'll tell you it's against state law, against corporate law or that they just can't do it because there is a full moon.
I would suggest that you let the car go through the full cycle and clear the code on it's own. But if you HAVE to have the code cleared, Amazon sells several <$20 obdII code readers that will clear the code. They are not good enough for a professional tech, but will tell you as much as the O'ReillyZone counter jockey will tell you and then you aren't pressured into buying a part that the franchise associate tells you that you need.

Keep the tank around the half full mark. If the fuel level is above a certain amount, or below a certain amount, the evap emission test will not take place. It will take a few drive cycles to clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back