CA Law Requiring 10,000 mile oil chang in gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
New CA law might require >10,000 mile oil changes in all state government fleet vehicles.
Requires by law all oil sold in the state be "certified by the oil maker" to be good for at least 10,000 miles in any engine, regardless of severity of duty.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB778

I'd think any dexos1/2 oil would make it to to 10,000 miles without the engine exploding. Maybe California is headed for sales of only semi-syns or better! So is this a big deal? Some other discussions on bitog have touched on the subject of long life oils, specs, etc. for sure:

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Gearhead1194
Are they both capable of 7500-10,000 miles?
They are, based on the long life oil specs they both meet.
Of course, long life is not a blanket statement and relies on all kinds of stars to align.

On all government fleet vehicles makes a bit more sense than on *all* vehicles. All I have heard prior to this was that it was going to be *all* cars.

I wonder how this will work on vehicles that have a lot of idle time or ones that don't move a lot.

In NY we have a similar law for government fleet vehicles; all diesels have to have extra emissions equipment added or something crazy.

Miller88, Its my understanding, after actually reading the text of the law on the web, that

"This bill, on and after January 1, 2018, would require all automotive oil sold in this state to be certified by the oil manufacturer to achieve a minimum useful life of 10,000 miles when used in accordance with the automobile manufacturer’s recommendations"

Ancillary executive action means all gov fleet vehicles have >10,000 mile oil changes. Citizens can still change their oil when they want. Oil makers will be forced to say its OK to go 10,000 miles, which I think they will. They might only sell oil of dexos quality or better though in CA.

Last edited:
Well CA's fuel is up to Western European standards so 2 year oci on some vehicles and oils is maybe already possible.

Its an odd situation where the oil makers are forced to say their oil will make it to 10,000 miles in any engine in CA under any circumstances. I think oil makers will make that statement, and just deal with the few lawsuits they get, maybe even still offering Group II oil and standing behind it. Some people will get sludge, possible oil failure, and they would be few.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I really, really wish that Sacramento would fall into the sea.

Doesn't this actually raise the minimum oil quality on the shelf? That good?

Also I don't see any language in the Bill that says "or 1 year, whichever occurs first...". Miles only?

Last edited:
All Cali has to do is change their fleet to M1 oils and 10K will be a snap. That has been my experience for the last 37 years.

I don't see a problem.

"(c) It is the intent of the Legislature to ensure that all automotive oil marketed to consumers in this state meets minimum quality standards."

Good god california sounds like they have the most tree hugging hippie moron on Earth writing their laws.

HAHA look at that post 420!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I don't see a problem.

"(c) It is the intent of the Legislature to ensure that all automotive oil marketed to consumers in this state meets minimum quality standards."

Well, yeah. The minimum quality standards for motor oil the USA are set by the API, not the California legislature. When did they become experts?

Originally Posted By: horse123
Good god california sounds like they have the most tree hugging hippie moron on Earth writing their laws.

HAHA look at that post 420!

Actually they have a stadium full writing them!

Originally Posted By: tig1
All Cali has to do is change their fleet to M1 oils and 10K will be a snap. That has been my experience for the last 37 years.

We'll see what happens if this bill gets passed. Then maybe the oil companies are just going to put out a statement on all SN quality oil they make that, yeah, go ahead and leave it in for 10,000 miles. Taking the tiny hit that some will sludge up their engines, get bearing failure. So this law might not have any consequence except to require gov fleets there to do it, not a big deal for citizens.

Some people might not understand. This bill doesn't force citizens to change their oil >10,000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Yep, Mobil 1 oils are guaranteed for 10K.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I don't see a problem.

Well, yeah. The minimum quality standards for motor oil the USA are set by the API, not the California legislature. When did they become experts?

When Jan 2018 happens, when this might take effect, we'll be in what, I think SP-GF6, so maybe they will already be good enough to go 10,000 miles, any duty cycle. Only a rare engine failure for the oil companies to take care of.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

"This bill, on and after January 1, 2018, would require all automotive oil sold in this state to be certified by the oil manufacturer to achieve a minimum useful life of 10,000 miles when used in accordance with the automobile manufacturer’s recommendations"

I wonder how well this is going to work out when the automakers refuse to honor warranties for engine failures. The clause "when used in accordance with the automobile manufacturer's recommendations" means the oil should be changed when the OLM indicates, not when the State of California says so. I suppose this means California fleet managers are going to have to buy expensive oils that can go 10k miles, but they'll have to do oil changes when the car says to. Are there any OLM's out there that go over 10k miles?

For government vehicles.. Let them do what they desire. For everyone else let them make their own decisions as they see fit. Amazing to me how many people want a centralized authority to tell them what to do
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back