Rotella T5 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, I wasn't the only one who never heard of T5 15w40.

The normal T5 is 10w30.

Sam's Club put their t5 15w40 on for 24.01/3 gallon.

Which is funny because the T3 is over 12$/gal right next to it.
The 6gallon pack of t3 which you also see in the pic was 72.xx

Picked up 12 gallons of T5 for the fleet of tractors.
They have reward codes under the caps. Might be good for a couple free hats or something.
I have to join "Miles Matter Club" and look into that.
Unfortunately the 5$ off rebate on the front are expired.

And since no thread is complete without pics...

2015-06-16%2019.51.46.jpg

2015-06-16%2021.03.23.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, T5 15w-40 has been around for quite some time now, but none of my local retailers carry it. Not that I have any use for it...

My local TSC store is supposed to stock T5 15W40, but there's never any on the shelf. I'm interested in it for its better cold starting properties, and if its a lot cheaper than t6 5W40, I might run it in the tractor. I don't think it has the JASO motorcycle approval though.

Never seen T5 10W40 in WM before, TSC had it for a little while, then clearanced it all out. Slight nitpicking-Rotella T Triple Protection isn't T3-T3 is usually only available in 55 gallon drums & has slightly lower additive levels than Triple T does.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't think it has the JASO motorcycle approval though.
I only see the JASO DH-2 approval (JASO MA is missing). I use Triple T and T6 in my BF 750 (both are JASO MA).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't think it has the JASO motorcycle approval though.
I only see the JASO DH-2 approval (JASO MA is missing). I use Triple T and T6 in my BF 750 (both are JASO MA).

Just to clarify this, neither T and T6 are officially JASO MA approved, but meet JASO MA requirements according to Shell. Small difference, I know. I just thought I'd point it out.

I believe someone on BITOG previously contacted Shell asking if T5 15w-40 would meet the necessary JASO MA requirements, and Shell's answer was 'yes', but they have not done the actual testing on it, so take it for what it's worth.

The TP conventional 15w-40 is "recommended" (but is not licensed) to the MA spec, according to the direct Shell document ...

http://www.epc.shell.com/

search using "rotella" and find the flavor you seek.

Please note that "T3" is not the same as "Triple Protection" (as we often refer to it as "TP").

The 15w-40 conventional lube TP product is recommended for JASO DH2, MA, MA2. The "T3" 15w-40 is not.

I didn't have the time to look at all the variations, but it seems the dino TP in 15w-40 is one of the few they "recommend" for JASO-MA (I know that 5w-40 T6 is also recommended). I will be using the TP 15w-40 in my new Victory motorcycle, which calls for MA in 20w-40 (15w-40 is close enough for me!).

Last edited:
It's funny...I've never seen T5 10W-30, just the 15W-40.

I have seen TP 10W-30. Just depends on what sells...

I didn't know that T3 wasn't "triple protection"
we also have straight grade T1? here

Their chart doesn't even list a T3?

Guess that's where I got confused.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

Apparently they are claiming "triple protection" as better than t3 as well.

Quote:
Up to 22% less iron wear than Shell Rotella® T3 SAE 15W-40

Changed the Deere 212 last night 1.8qt's to replace the delvac 1300 that was in there for about 5 hours since rebuild. I have no doubt the t5 15w40 will perform as well or better than the Delvac 1300 in there.

Its also going into a Deere 316 and Deere 318 both with Onans. And a Early Deere 850 with the 3 cyl Yanmar diesel.d

Last edited:
I regularly see T5 15w40 at major truck stop locations. T5 10w30 is starting to show up more frequently at major truck stops also, since the factory fill for new commercial diesels is 10w30 now.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I didn't know that T3 wasn't "triple protection"
we also have straight grade T1? here

Their chart doesn't even list a T3?

Guess that's where I got confused.

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

Apparently they are claiming "triple protection" as better than t3 as well.

Quote:
Up to 22% less iron wear than Shell Rotella® T3 SAE 15W-40

Changed the Deere 212 last night 1.8qt's to replace the delvac 1300 that was in there for about 5 hours since rebuild. I have no doubt the t5 15w40 will perform as well or better than the Delvac 1300 in there.

Its also going into a Deere 316 and Deere 318 both with Onans. And a Early Deere 850 with the 3 cyl Yanmar diesel.d

Yes - many people make that same identity mistake. T3 is NOT the same as Triple Protection. The T3 is more marketed towards fleets ops as a multigrade. T1 is a monograde. TP is the consumer market/commercial market "upgrade" from T3. TP is an outstanding product. Way, way back in the day, Terry Dyson was quoted here as saying that the "new" (back when CJ-4 was new) Triple Protection in 10w-30 was "near synthetic like" in performance. From all the personal observations and trials I've run, I cannot find any fault in his statement.

As for the TP vs the Delvac 1300, I honestly don't think you'll see any real tangible difference. Both are very good products. The difference between brands, in terms of actual wear protection, is so fractionally small that you cannot delineate the brands in wear analysis. And having processed more than 10,000 UOAs in statistical analysis, I can say that with great confidence. All the majors (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, VPB, etc) do well.

I'm a big fan of simply using a qualified lube for the specific application and choose by cost, because the performance isn't going to stand out of the crowd.

Last edited:
Great Post! Maybe the biggest piece of information in here. Would have never believed it, dont see it around my area. Wish they had a 15/50 for my Road King

Great purchase choice, Rand! Shell Rotella T5 will treat your tractors well because its ability to deliver fuel economy savings, extended-drain capability, enhanced engine cleanliness and excellent wear protection. If you’re looking to join our My Miles Matter loyalty program, there are just a few quick steps to join by visiting www.shell.com/rotella/my-miles-matter.html. Additionally, we’re currently offering 3X Reward Miles on purchases of qualifying Shell Rotella synthetic motor oils. Let us know if you have any questions! – The Shell Rotella Team

I smell chicken
smile.gif

I really like my Rotella 10w-30 in my car.. Really good price for a very good oil. May well run it in the Toyota 98 LE has well.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Great purchase choice, Rand! Shell Rotella T5 will treat your tractors well because its ability to deliver fuel economy savings, extended-drain capability, enhanced engine cleanliness and excellent wear protection. If you’re looking to join our My Miles Matter loyalty program, there are just a few quick steps to join by visiting www.shell.com/rotella/my-miles-matter.html. Additionally, we’re currently offering 3X Reward Miles on purchases of qualifying Shell Rotella synthetic motor oils. Let us know if you have any questions! – The Shell Rotella Team

I can't find a VOA on this oil or anything, is it old or does Shell still make it?
Rotella 550019893 T1 50W Heavy Duty Engine Oil - 5 Gallon Pail

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back