Anyone buy a new Odyssey lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are looking at the 2015 Odyssey EX-L. The dealer we test drove with emailed a price of ~$31,800 before taxes. This is roughly the same as what TrueCar gives. So I'm thinking of offering $29,500 and seeing what they say. Curious if anyone else has bought one recently and can provide some thoughts on pricing & negotiation.

Thanks,

Jeff

Shop around. Some dealerships are moving towards "no negotiating", which probably is not the best price to be had--but ought to give some idea as to the lower limit. Also some places might advertise on Autotrader; if they do high volume sales then they can advertise a low price.

Jeff, that seems like a great price. Bryan Honda in Fayetteville has $36,655 on its new EX-Ls, which is exactly sticker price, but we live in a military town, and they know they have a rotating customer base, so locals generally don't buy cars here.

The Truecar estimate is $32,960, so I think anything below that is good. I doubt you can buy it for under $30k, but it's worth a try.

I am sure there is Odyssey forum. Check there. When I was out getting a Forester, nobody would even talk about negotiations as vehicles were disappearing before even appearing on the lot. A member suggested me to email a dealership in NH (I live in NY). The guy gave me rock bottom price ($1600 below neighborhood dealership) and delivered my vehicle at Stamford, CT (15 minutes ride for me). No haggling, a single phone call and few emails back and forth to confirm configuration of the vehicle. I never met the guy. Most pleasant experience with best price.
My neighborhood Honda dealership has left a bad taste for me just when I went for a test drive. I can't even imagine buying a vehicle for them. So I suggest, do your research before putting an offer.

odyclub.com always has a running thread for what owner's paid for their new vans. It' likely that there's a long running one for the 2015 model year now.

Check the Odyssey and Edmund forums.
I doubt that you will do much better than what you were quoted unless you wait until the 16's come out and see if Honda puts any factory to dealer money behind the 15's and see if you can get a piece or all of it.
When I bought our '06 (in July of '06), I got $4900. off of sticker. Don't know off hand what current sticker is to see if what you were offered is comparable.
I know when I was looking, dealers in NJ and Chicago were the lowest in the country. I used e mail quotes from those dealers to get the price down locally. Odyssey Forums and Edmunds usually have the leads on where the competitive areas are for pricing.

I guy here bought an off-lease 2012 Oddity with 34K miles for 21K. It is a base model with manual doors - which may be a blessing in disguise. The new ones with the bizzare rear end car crash morph look like a Funeral Flower carrier Hearse in black. Scary machine! I must avert mine I's

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Wife and I are looking at the 2015 Odyssey EX-L. The dealer we test drove with emailed a price of ~$31,800 before taxes. This is roughly the same as what TrueCar gives. So I'm thinking of offering $29,500 and seeing what they say. Curious if anyone else has bought one recently and can provide some thoughts on pricing & negotiation.

Thanks,

Jeff

Which EX-L?

I see invoice for a high end 2015 EX-L is 34,530 plus 880 destination. That's an awful lot of incentives if theyre telling you $31800 (including destination??).

The low end one is $32705+880, which is still a good deal of incentives if theyre offering $31800. I kind of doubt there is that much room in the deal to sell it.

http://www.autotrader.com/2015-Honda-Odyssey.jsp?modelId=27787

But I am interested because were interested in an Odyssey too...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Jeff, that seems like a great price. Bryan Honda in Fayetteville has $36,655 on its new EX-Ls, which is exactly sticker price, but we live in a military town, and they know they have a rotating customer base, so locals generally don't buy cars here.

The Truecar estimate is $32,960, so I think anything below that is good. I doubt you can buy it for under $30k, but it's worth a try.

Check your options. You may be talking EX-L with nav for one price and stripped EX-L for the other.

Also Im pretty convinced that these days truecar is essentially claiming a price that's good based upon dealers' target profit, and not actually doingyou any favors. Theyre trying to sell cars through network dealers, so they have skin in the deal...

As a former car salesman, I would guess that there is about $2500 mark up on that vehicle above dealer invoice. Maybe less. Take sticker, subtract rebates, then you should be able to figure about how much the dealer is making. Its probably not a lot. One of the frustrations I experienced as a car salesman was that people always wanted you to knock $5k to $6k off sticker, after rebates, on a vehicle that you had $2500 markup in. They assumed that you had about $10k-$12k markup in a $30k vehicle. Then they would always complain, "Why do dealers play games? Why can't they just shoot me a straight price the first time?". The thing I learned was that no matter what price you put on a vehicle, people always want it to be LOWER!. A salesman at my former dealership gave a guy a price $5k below our cost because he knew the guy would be shopping around, and he would have our price as a basis for comparison. The guy responded "That still seems a little high. Knock off another $500 and I might think about it".
Point being, you have to know a good deal when you see it. At sticker, the dealer is probably making $2500 max. If he has already discounted it, he doesn't have $2300 to knock off the price, unless he sells it below cost. I don't know too many businesses would last too long doing business that way.
Shop around, but compare apples to apples. You will probably find that is a pretty good price already. Good luck in your hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Wife and I are looking at the 2015 Odyssey EX-L. The dealer we test drove with emailed a price of ~$31,800 before taxes. This is roughly the same as what TrueCar gives. So I'm thinking of offering $29,500 and seeing what they say.

As a pure marketing point of view, as a buyer, you are better to offer $30,001 than $29,999.
the $xx99 price tag are for sellers, not buyers.

That is pure psychological, but it is strangely effective for a lot of people...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Check your options. You may be talking EX-L with nav for one price and stripped EX-L for the other.

Also Im pretty convinced that these days truecar is essentially claiming a price that's good based upon dealers' target profit, and not actually doingyou any favors. Theyre trying to sell cars through network dealers, so they have skin in the deal...

We're talking apples and apples; those are all "base" EX-L numbers. No nav, no Rear Entertainment System, etc. $36,655 is sticker ($35,775) plus $880 destination.

I'm personally of the opinion that ALL of the numbers are fake, even the invoice. The invoice isn't what dealers really pay after manufacturer's incentives, holdbacks, etc, evidenced by Jeff's dealer's offer of $31,800 ($900 below invoice). MOST dealers will hold their hands up and say, "woah, I can't go below invoice, that's what I pay!" In my opinion, if you can buy something for close to the nominal invoice, you're probably doing better than most.

Certainly, there's more fat there, though, and the dealer's still making money.

First use some of the auto consumer web sites to learn exactly what the dealer invoice is for the car and find out what incentives they have going from the manufacture. You have to know what the car cost to successfully negotiate. Goal is to offer the dealer maybe $500 profit on a car. The dealer does not need to make huge profit form every buyer. Let the suckers pay more.

If you want to pay lowest price for a new car, especially for a car like Honda that has few variations you need to use email and phone to buy the car. Call 3 local dealers and ask them to give you their best drive out price on the new car. Specify the exact model and trim level you want. Ask them to provide written drive out quote via email within 24 hours and you will decide based on lowest price. Price should be quoted as total cost plus tax, tag and title. Accept no other type of quote as they are attempting to obfuscate and rip you off. Once you have the three quotes you can call each dealer and play one off the other and give them your counter offer and see who accepts it. Waiting until a day or two before the end of the month will also help as they want to make monthly quota. Research and read articles available on the net on tips for car buying and how not to get ripped off. Going into dealer and haggling is the worst and most expensive way to buy a car. The longer you sit and commit your time and attention at the dealership the worst your deal will get.

Last edited:
I always buy on the last day of the month... they are MUCH more likely to sell a car at zero profit just to get their monthly sales numbers up.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I always buy on the last day of the month... they are MUCH more likely to sell a car at zero profit just to get their monthly sales numbers up.

That's what I'd try as well, I'll probably try to do this with my used car purchases too if its convenient. It can't hurt you anyways.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Around here, there is no negotiation on a Hondyotaru. If you're REALLY good, you may be able to get the dealer down to sticker.

Where do you live?... 1985 Land????

I'm personally of the opinion that ALL of the numbers are fake, even the invoice. The invoice isn't what dealers really pay after manufacturer's incentives, holdbacks, etc, evidenced by Jeff's dealer's offer of $31,800 ($900 below invoice). MOST dealers will hold their hands up and say, "woah, I can't go below invoice, that's what I pay!" In my opinion, if you can buy something for close to the nominal invoice, you're probably doing better than most.

Certainly, there's more fat there, though, and the dealer's still making money.

You have it RIGHT. The profit margins today are absolutely insane for most manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back