2014 ram 1500 - battery saver mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi folks, i have 2014 ram 1500 5.7. truck has almost 20k miles after 1.5 years of driving.

Today i received the "battery saver mode" message for the first time. along with the message, the ac turned off, the radio turned off, etc. When i got home about 7 minutes later, i measured the battery voltage with the truck off and it was 12.8. i then measured while engine was at idle and it was 14.

i should note at the time the message came on, the wipers were on, the headlights were on, ac on and radio on.

Any ideas?

i guess i should say that this battery saver mode is a chrysler thing. i believe it is meant to protect the battery or to make sure you can start the vehicle at least one more time.

A more accurate test would be to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 6+ hours and then measure the resting voltage. The battery will read 12.80+ for a short time then after the surface charge erodes you can see more accurately what you're dealing with. Even skipping the disconnect will help, but the key is to remove the surface charge to see voltage. Obviously a hydrometer is better if you have one.

If you want to check it faster simply turn the headlights on for 60 seconds and watch to see where the voltage goes after a couple minutes of recovery from the drain.

All of this should be done with engine off, since you want to know about battery condition. The 14+ volts point to a healthy alternator so far.

You may have been at the max out put of your charging system. Wipers, a/c, radio and lighting system are quite a draw. But factor in radiator fans, ECM and all its attendant relays etc. coupled with the fact you may have been driving slow (rainy weather with traffic) might just have been the tip over point for the ECM to post that message and cut some of the draw. Also, auto trannie vehicles tend to be in the highest possible gear to keep down revs and fuel consumption . And alternator RPM. Just thinking out loud..

yes i was driving slow at the time, outside temperature was low 80's. yes it is an automatic. however, everything is stock so you would hope that ram would design the charging system to handle this case. the bad thing is once in this mode, you have to turn off the vehicle and then restart it to get it out of that mode.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
You may have been at the max out put of your charging system. Wipers, a/c, radio and lighting system are quite a draw. But factor in radiator fans, ECM and all its attendant relays etc. coupled with the fact you may have been driving slow (rainy weather with traffic) might just have been the tip over point for the ECM to post that message and cut some of the draw. Also, auto trannie vehicles tend to be in the highest possible gear to keep down revs and fuel consumption . And alternator RPM. Just thinking out loud..

Considering you can add a thousand or so watt sound system without a problem, no, AC (which by the way does not use electricity), lights, wipers, and whatever else should not cause charge problems when they vehicle is running.

How is A/C more of a draw than just heat? It's the blower motor that's electric - the compressor is always belt driven, right?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A more accurate test would be to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 6+ hours and then measure the resting voltage. The battery will read 12.80+ for a short time then after the surface charge erodes you can see more accurately what you're dealing with. Even skipping the disconnect will help, but the key is to remove the surface charge to see voltage. Obviously a hydrometer is better if you have one.

If you want to check it faster simply turn the headlights on for 60 seconds and watch to see where the voltage goes after a couple minutes of recovery from the drain.

All of this should be done with engine off, since you want to know about battery condition. The 14+ volts point to a healthy alternator so far.

Agree, check the battery it may be Headed downhill but not failing yet.

Last edited:
Volts x amps = watts. 1000 watt sound system = 83 amp draw @12 volts at full blast volume. Food for thought. Don't know what the wattage of Dodges sound system is, but if it's 500 that's a 41.5 amp draw, no small number. Does anybody know the amp output of this vehicles alternator?

I've never seen this condition. The draw on the alternator must have exceeded its output and began draining the battery which happens all the time when low rpm operation in the winter but once the revs come up so to the alternators amps so the battery ends up charging.
Interesting that dodge had a failsafe for this

Good to know

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
hi folks, i have 2014 ram 1500 5.7. truck has almost 20k miles after 1.5 years of driving. Today i received the "battery saver mode" message

Any ideas?

It's a 2014 with only 20,000 miles on it. Take it to the dealer and have it diagnosed and repaired under warranty rather than guess and hope.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Volts x amps = watts. 1000 watt sound system = 83 amp draw @12 volts at full blast volume. Food for thought. Don't know what the wattage of Dodges sound system is, but if it's 500 that's a 41.5 amp draw, no small number. Does anybody know the amp output of this vehicles alternator?

it is 160 for my truck.

for some 2013-2014 chrysler vehicles with the 140 amp alternator there is a safety recall for this condition: battery saver mode gets enabled, computer starts shutting off modules and possibly the alternator bursts into flames - not kidding. however, mine is the 160 amp not the 140 amp so this recall does not apply to my truck.

Last edited:
My wife uses our 14 Ram as a home health office and routinely sits in Fl heat with AC on max, stereo blasting, every plug in the dash and console used by equipment, etc.

Over 100 hours per the info screen already at only 11k miles. Never a peep.

Sure hope the OP isn't having the dreaded TIPM issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back