Doing a tranny D&F using this pump from Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
k2-_d9c5d886-df36-42ee-8a6d-1f80ec2e0d94.v1.jpg

Of course this isn't as good as the expensive Mity Vac canister evacuators but could this also do the job (albeit slower)? Might be a way for people living in apartment complexes with rules against full-out auto repairs to do an easy and clean D&F using the dipstick tube, no?

Last edited:
I have used these and they are fine for light liquids like gas but not very good for oil and if it is warm the hose will collapse. It is not meant for warm oil like a Mighty Vac hose

You will likely need a more rigid hose to insert down the dipstick tube.

You may be able to change it for something stiffer from Home Depot or similar.

I tried this for Transmission Fluid and it didnt work well for that application in my experience, but would probably work for other fluids. WM sells a hand type pump that I hold over a pitcher when doing a transmission exchange. The WM pump was under $10 I believe.

That's not really a pump, it's a siphon. You pump the bulb a few times to get it going (rather than starting a siphon the old fashioned way) then just let it siphon. Great for water, gas, etc...not so much for thicker fluids like oil, ATF, etc.

07240.jpg

This harbor freight pump usually lasts me a couple transmission services but eventually the seals inside screw up. Very cheap with coupon I think $3?

I bought a Motive fluid extractor about 10 years ago for $53. It's still going. I do about 10 oil changes a year of various engines, transmissions, ps pumps, OPE, gas tanks, you name it.

So I recommend you buy a good one because you get your moneys worth.

you could switch out the tube that will go into the tranny with a harder one from lowes but this tube works fine for me in my hand pump

the problem I see will be the need to squish that bulb MANY times.

I have used just the clear hose and started a siphon with it using a bulb/mityvac and then taped the end of the tube to an oil pan on the floor,
it took good part of a day but 2 plus qt came out of the tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back