The Corolla Prizms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Probably in August or September I'll be buying another car to get away from the ridiculous cost of ownership that is VW.

Anyways one of the cars I'm considering is the Toyota Corolla but I'm also considering the Chevy Prizm and Geo Prizm versions of this car.

My question is, is the Chevy and Geo models of these cars actual Chevy and Geo components?
What I mean is, is the electronics and window motors and interiors Chevy and Geo or is it the same as the Toyota?

Is it just the engine and transmission that they share or is everything literally the same with a different badge?

I was thinking if they're different I may not want the Geo or Chevy if their electronics and window motors and such are not known to be reliable.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Probably in August or September I'll be buying another car to get away from the ridiculous cost of ownership that is VW.

Anyways one of the cars I'm considering is the Toyota Corolla but I'm also considering the Chevy Prizm and Geo Prizm versions of this car.

My question is, is the Chevy and Geo models of these cars actual Chevy and Geo components?
What I mean is, is the electronics and window motors and interiors Chevy and Geo or is it the same as the Toyota?

Is it just the engine and transmission that they share or is everything literally the same with a different badge?

I was thinking if they're different I may not want the Geo or Chevy if their electronics and window motors and such are not known to be reliable.

Thanks.

It's a full badge engineering copy short of badges and grills.

IIRC, the Prism's of that generation, regardless whether it's a Chevy or GEO, were 100% Toyota Corolla's made in CA in the same factory... GM/Toyota joint venture.

I have worked on a few of them. I remember seeing 2 things that concerned me:
1. I worked on one that needed a new power steering pressure hose. None of the parts store hoses fit, and the original hose was sent to a hydraulics shop to make a copy of the original.
2. It had the gear driven ABS module that GM used in many 1990s cars. However, it was located nowhere near the master cylinder. You would have to take extra care when bleeding the brakes. Also, Toyota ABS brake sensors and cables are so fragile, that you can accidentally break one when repairing something else, evenn if you take the proper precautions.

They are virtually identical.

The only meaningful differences are the radio and HVAC.

GM put in Delco radios and a slightly weaker Delphi HVAC unit. The real Corollas have Toyota (Pioneer) radios and Denso HVAC.

The electronics are all true legit Toyota parts.

If you're looking for an automatic, keep in mind that two automatic transmissions were available: a 3-speed and a 4-speed. Both were available on both the Corolla and Prizm, but the 4-speed auto is very rare on the Prizm, and it's much better than the 3-speed. The Corolla LE ans S models have the 4-speed, while automatic VE and CE models only have a 3-speed auto.

Look for the OD button on the shifter.

The 5-speed manual is absolutely the same on the Corolla and Prizm.

I can attest to the Toyota ABS sensors being fragile, and they break easily when replacing the struts, so be careful!

Most of the above applies to the Vibe as well, except that Toyota finally killed off the 3-speed auto by then!

tl;dr: buy a Prizm with confidence
smile.gif

Definitely look for the OD button, you will want the 4 speed otherwise you won't get the good mpg numbers.

I'd probably still buy a 3 speed if the condition/price were right though.

I bought my 2000 Prizm new. The ac compressor died a few years ago (GM unit).Otherwise it has been brakes, tires, struts, normal maintenance items that wear out 180,000 miles later. It has been a great little car. It has turned into a bit of an oil burner as you will find quite a bit of history on the 1ZZFE engines, but mine had well over 100,000 miles on it before it became an issue. It would appear you are looking for an old "cheap" vehicle. Good luck in your search. Buy as new as you can afford. Old car, old problems.

I'll definitely be buying either the 4 speed auto or 5 speed stick. I'm looking for good mpg so the 3 speed is a no way Jose.

Glad to hear they're the same electronics basically.

Nick. Didn't you have a Camry? I had a 1995 Prism. It was the top trim line 5sp. Great car In every way. Like a mini Lexus.

They were made at the GM/Toyota "NUMMI" factory in Commiefornia which is now owned by Tesla. They're the same car.

I'll definitely be buying either the 4 speed auto or 5 speed stick. I'm looking for good mpg so the 3 speed is a no way Jose.

Glad to hear they're the same electronics basically.

The 3 speed auto will still get over 30 mpg on the hwy, with the a/c on, going 70 mph. It does have a locking converter.

I drove one for about 6 months after someone in the family passed. 99 Corolla VE. I was in college at the time and drove it on the interstate all the time visiting family/friends at home. Honestly it was such a smooth/refined car that I never realized it was only a 3 speed until right before I sold it (I was looking up specs for the advertisement). I remember all my Honda friends being impressed with it.

My sister had a 93 corolla and i had a 95 prism, both with 3 speeds. They'd hit 3rd gear at 22 mph and that was it, pretty buzzy on the highway. Murphy's law says this is all you'll find, kinda like automatic Miatas.
wink.gif

If you find a Corolla WAGON, it's more likely to have the 1.8/ 4 speed instead of the 1.6, and I don't even know if they made those at NUMMI.

Try to find a Chevy Nova,GMs first attempt to partner with Toyota.Only the grille changed there.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Nick. Didn't you have a Camry? I had a 1995 Prism. It was the top trim line 5sp. Great car In every way. Like a mini Lexus.

The downside to Camry is the 2002-2009(?) 2.4L with the bad headbolts. A 5MT popped was local to me, but as a 2002 it seemed rather unwise, so, I did not even bother to look.

Anyone saying the 3 speed doesnt get good mileage is talking out of his/her rear end. My dad (retired NASA engineer) bought mine new in '97 and kept meticulous record of his mileage and was getting in the mid-high 30's on a routine basis. I followed him to Michigan a few years ago and he was averaging 38 mpg. He gave the car to my son a couple years ago. He too kept track and was regularly logging low to mid '30's even with 300,000+ miles on the odo.

The biggest downfalls with the 3-speed (mpg not really being one of them) was that it can be a bit buzzy on the highway, and people who cared enough to actually change the ATF once in a while may not have known this box has two separate sumps, one for the trans and one for the differential, which has its own drain and fill bolts nicely hidden on the backside of the unit. A lot of people unknowingly, through leakage or whatever, eventually allowed that part of the unit to go dry and ruined the trans.

If anything were going to keep me from getting another of this model, it wouldn't be thee 3-speed automatic, it would be the horrific oil consumption problems the engine of this era was known for.

Originally Posted By: quint
Anyone saying the 3 speed doesnt get good mileage is talking out of his/her rear end. My dad (retired NASA engineer) bought mine new in '97 and kept meticulous record of his mileage and was getting in the mid-high 30's on a routine basis. I followed him to Michigan a few years ago and he was averaging 38 mpg. He gave the car to my son a couple years ago. He too kept track and was regularly logging low to mid '30's even with 300,000+ miles on the odo.

The biggest downfalls with the 3-speed (mpg not really being one of them) was that it can be a bit buzzy on the highway, and people who cared enough to actually change the ATF once in a while may not have known this box has two separate sumps, one for the trans and one for the differential, which has its own drain and fill bolts nicely hidden on the backside of the unit. A lot of people unknowingly, through leakage or whatever, eventually allowed that part of the unit to go dry and ruined the trans.

If anything were going to keep me from getting another of this model, it wouldn't be thee 3-speed automatic, it would be the horrific oil consumption problems the engine of this era was known for.

The 3 speed won't get "bad" gas mileage, but the OD trans will definitely get better. My librarian in high school had one for 15 years or so. He lived about 50 miles away. It had more than a few hundred thousand on it.

A Toyota is going to be loads more reliable than any VW. And a Toyota with a timing chain is going to have low maintenance cost compared to any VW.

I've owned 2 Prizms (94 and 95). Both cars reliable as he77. Easy to work on, just a perfect appliance to get you from Point A to Point B. Ride quality would be 'as expected' for a car of that size.

Mine both used a bit of oil, but never was a concern of mine. The 95 had a 3 speed auto (I'd stay away from it if you do any amount of hwy driving). Try to find a stick or the LSI with the 4 speed auto.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Yes I had a 97' Camry 2.2L, it was extremely reliable but needed some work that came with age and my aunt gave me the VW and all I thought of was the great mpg then sold the Camry.

I do plenty of highway driving so I won't get a 3-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back