Accidentally put diesel in my car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Isn't the nozzle of a diesel pump / hose wider to prevent this from happening?

Just fill up with gasoline and not worry.

Yes, the nozzle is larger. But he said that he put diesel in a gas can, wrote on the can that it is diesel, and put it in the car anyway.

it has happened to me in the past.
just keep the tank filled with gas for a while it should not be a problem.

Fill it with premium, and be wary of hearing some knocking...back off the throttle if you hear it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Fill it with premium, and be wary of hearing some knocking...back off the throttle if you hear it.

Why Premium? It seems to me a diesel mixture would make it harder to ignite/explode? Low octane fuel explodes easier and contains more energy, seems like that would be the way to go. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Something fishy here........
Trolling.gif
hooked.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Why Premium? It seems to me a diesel mixture would make it harder to ignite/explode? Low octane fuel explodes easier and contains more energy, seems like that would be the way to go. Am I missing something?

jetronic got it.

Looking at the hydrocarbon series, the smaller the chain length, the better the antiknock performance...and it's all compared to "octane", which is 2,2,4 trimethyl pentane, a compact molecule, of pentane (5 carbons) long, with three little branches....it's 100. (Incidentally, "zero" is N-Heptane, which has 7 carbon atoms in a long string).

Diesel is around 13 long, and has a very poor octane rating.

Remember in a diesel, the fuel isn't introduced to the air until injection near TDC...if it were, it would knock like crazy.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Should have siphoned it out. Go to a shop and have them do it.

I cringe when people talk about draining large amounts of fuel. Who is going to take it? I don't know of any environmentally friendly way to get rid of it.

One gallon diesel in 20 shouldn't be that bad. It's an oil. Should be like a top end lube.

Drive easy and keep filling up to dilute it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back