Battery post felt washer holes too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my old cars (air cooled vw, etc) the battery posts are big enough that the red/green felt washers slide over them tightly. With my new car (Honda Element) the battery post is smaller and when the felt washer is in place there is a visible gap between the post and the washer, especially the negative side. I thought the washer was supposed to intercept gases escaping up the side of the posts so I don't see how this can work if the washer doesn't fit snugly around the post. Both the battery and washers are Duralast brand. Is this a problem or am I being paranoid? Is there another brand of felt washers made for the newer small batteries?
Thanks,
Bill

The felt washers I've had had 2 knockouts for the 2 different sizes. I haven't bought any lately, maybe they're different now.

I think they should still work OK.

These have a knockout also but I'm not removing it. The small hole size is 3/4" diameter and with the knockout removed it is about 1 1/4" diameter.

Forget the washers and just use Pledge Furniture Polish. The batter will always look like new and you'll never see a bit of corrosion.

Those washers are totally unnecessary.

Battery-terminal corrosion is caused by a failed case/post seal. Failure is caused by either 1) age, or 2) overtightening. Everybody and his dog overtightens battery terminals, so overtightening is the #1 cause of corrosion, by far and away.

How much force did you use when tightening the clamp on your Element's battery? If more than a baby-finger's worth of force, then you overtightened it and it will corrode.

Think about the force joining all the push-connectors in your car's electrical system. Notice how little force is needed to unplug the connectors once the lock-tab has been released? Well, that's all the battery needs, too.

There is no corrosion on the posts at all. I was replacing the battery and noticed that the new washers had a gap. As far as tightening them they are just snug enough that I can't move them by hand.

The felt pads are a nice to have, but not needed. If you have a leaker (leak around post, probably an Exide battery) the felt pad will not cure it. (It may cut back on the corrosion a little.) If you have a properly sealed post, there is nothing for the felt pad to do.

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I saw a felt washer on a battery, or the last time I saw a corroded battery terminal. If the washer is too big for the post I wouldn't sweat it, because I don't think there is any need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back