Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback
Automatic Transmission
2.0L Beta II (G4GC), inline four cylinder CVVT engine
LiquiMoly 5W-40 fully synthetic oil
7,939km (4,933 miles) on oil
151,191km (93,946 miles) on vehicle

Driving style: very, VERY sedate. I shoot for efficiency - slow acceleration, never above 100km/h (about 60mph), coast well in advance of red lights to see if I can time my arrival to the next green.

Best I've done on this car is about 7L/100km (about 34mpg) for a 95% highway road trip, which is better than the EPA spec for the vehicle.

Mileage really takes a hit when city driving though; I've never realized the estimated fuel economy in the city.

The only thing that really showed up on the report seems to be slightly higher than expected lead, 8ppm versus 1ppm expected. Any experience with that on the Hyundai engines? Sign of a bearing on the way out? Too soon to tell?

HrGUjcf.jpg

Last edited:
If you like to shoot for efficiency and live in Canda, why not use a w30 or w20 oil?

probably an freak occurrence. the beta 2 is very stout and will last forever. that said, your timing belt/water pump is due soon. good luck.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If you like to shoot for efficiency and live in Canda, why not use a w30 or w20 oil?

That's a concession I make with my mechanic; he suggests the full synthetic 5W-40 offers much better wear protection and only a percent or two worse fuel economy.

Would you suggest I'd see much better efficiency from a lighter weight oil?

I just ran the numbers.

Assuming 20% better fuel economy, average $1.00/L:

750km/month, savings of $200/year
1,000km/month, saving $250/year

After 5-years: $1,000-$1,250 saved.

Having had an engine rebuild (valves, bearings) that ran me $1,500 or so, I don't see how even a 20% fuel saving would ever justify having to rebuild the engine due to added wear.

Please, feel free to set me straight!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
probably an freak occurrence. the beta 2 is very stout and will last forever. that said, your timing belt/water pump is due soon. good luck.

Thanks for that.

While I don't have a full maintenance history on the vehicle, there's some evidence the timing belt was done already. I'm toying with stretching it to the next interval (196,000km) but may cave and do it sooner for peace of mind. Darn interference engines.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
8 ppm means nothing IMO.

Thanks. I see other engines netting higher PPM of lead as part of their "normal" operation so I'm not overly worried about that. I'll send another sample at the same interval and post a follow-up report.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your mechanic bases his W40 "better protection" claim from. There is nothing to back that up that I am aware of. Not to mention, it DOES decrease engine protection in cold. a 0W20 seems like the best oil for you if your engine is one of the W20 spec'd hyundais.

As for how much it will increase fuel efficiency....all we can say is it will improve. The amount is practically impossible to predict. It might be enough to measure, it might not.

Last edited:
Split the difference and run a good 5w30.
grin2.gif

If you could get a 20% fuel mileage increase from oil choice BITOG would be on fire. You might be able to actually measure the difference from 5w40 to 0w20, maybe, as that is a big jump.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm not sure what your mechanic bases his W40 "better protection" claim from. There is nothing to back that up that I am aware of. Not to mention, it DOES decrease engine protection in cold. a 0W20 seems like the best oil for you if your engine is one of the W20 spec'd hyundais.

As for how much it will increase fuel efficiency....all we can say is it will improve. The amount is practically impossible to predict. It might be enough to measure, it might not.

Split the difference and run a good 5w30.
grin2.gif

If you could get a 20% fuel mileage increase from oil choice BITOG would be on fire. You might be able to actually measure the difference from 5w40 to 0w20, maybe, as that is a big jump.

Thank you both.

I just finished reading "Motor Oil 101" ... followed by the remaining 9 chapters.

Mind. Blown.

Oil doesn't get "too thin when hot"... it gets "too thick when cold."

The owner's manual (likely written c.2003 for model years 2004-2006) specs 5W20 oil at a time when I'm guessing 0W20 was uncommon.

I'm sold on a 0W20 fully synthetic, not for fuel economy but for wear protection.

I log all my fill-ups on Fuelly though so it'll be easy enough to notice any change to fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Yeah a 5w40 isn't necessary at all.

I'd go with a 0w20 or 5w30. Fuel economy won't change much but it's an old way of thinking that thicker is better for an engine, there's a time and place for thicker oils, usually German cars or cars that burn oil.

Either stick with what you're doing or switch to A5/B5, 5w30 oil. This would be better than SN spec oil in terms of wear and protection, but with similar fuel saving properties.

I'd like to know where you got Liquimoly oil from in Ottawa.

I've looked for it from time to time, and never found much of it...Bensons?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Napa carries it in canada

Thanks again folks. I concur; next oil will be an API-SN, 0W20 or 0W30 fully synthetic.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I've seen it sold at "CAPS" (Canadian Auto Parts Suppliers) but be careful not to pick up the NON fully synthetic LiquiMoly which uses weaselly phrases like "made with synthetic technology." I have seen the fully synthetic variety there.

Last edited:

+1. Depending on % of city driving combined with the OP's slow driving style he should comfortably measure upwards of 10% fuel savings from this switch to any moderate HTHS 20wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back