Cars with a bad turning radius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: uplandr
Early Equinox and Torrent.

This. Our Equinox had a terrible radius. Even worse than that was my 2007 Nissan Nismo Frontier. I swear a Freightliner Cascadia had a better turning radius.

Mercury Marquis/ Crown Vic. Actually ever so slightly worse than the Maxima.

I just checked. Mini cooper has a radius of 35 feet compared to 41 for the Crown Vic. On a relative basis, that's awful.

Mitsu Mirage is a little over 15 feet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
volvo's with 5 cilinder transverse engines...

This... My 04 S60R had an atrocious turning radius. It didn't help that mine came with the 18" wheel option.

My '96 F-150 beater requires around a half acre(yeah that's a lie but you get the idea)... Since it has almost as bad traction, it's easy to slide it around in road to off set the disadvantage(and that isn't a lie, I enjoy beating on the old truck)...

Both Ford Econolines I've owned ('77 E350, '88 E150) had terrible turning radii. The 2013 E-350 we had for our van pool was the same way.

Takes about 2-1/2 lanes to make a u-turn at intersections. You need to make them same way tractor-trailer drivers do it.

Our Focus ST has a rough turning radius for such a small car. 39.4'.

What's the reason behind this? The car has touch tight and super sensitive steering, does this in effect change the limits of a cars turning radius?

The rest of you go home... Game set match...
laugh.gif
smile.gif

potholes_3.jpg

Originally Posted By: jigen
Our Focus ST has a rough turning radius for such a small car. 39.4'.

What's the reason behind this? The car has touch tight and super sensitive steering, does this in effect change the limits of a cars turning radius?

No, on a FWD car usually a limitation in the knuckle geometry and how the CV axles flex-- or can't.

My dad told me that his Pontiac G6 has a bigger turning radius than most cars of similar size, but he didn't tell me how much.

So the 1995-2004 Maximas have an awful turning radious, how about other versions?

For such a little car, the Scion XD has a huge turn radius of 37.1 feet. That's about the same as the considerably larger 2015 RAV4.

I don't know how I missed that when I test drove it before buying an XD in 2012. But, it's gone now and my Mazda3 has a great radius of 34 feet. Believe me, those extra few feet of turning space are huge when you need to make a tight turn in a big hurry.

Also beware of the new Yaris SE model, and Prius C with factory 16" wheels. Those two trim levels take a car with an otherwise small 31 foot radius and turns them into a handful at over 36 feet of radius. Just because they are tuned them for quicker steering I was told.

I think a lot of cars must have a really horrible turning radius because I always see people go diagonally through intersections, driving through the lane for oncoming traffic, rather than making a right angle turn. I've had to stop car lengths from the white line because someone making a turn is driving through the lane as I pull up to the intersection.

Either that or people are just lazy and stupid. These offenders aren't all driving Maximas. Interestingly my IFS Super Cab Ranger (just about the length of an Expedition) can make these turns easily without driving through the oncoming lane, and it doesn't have a great turning radius.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I think a lot of cars must have a really horrible turning radius because I always see people go diagonally through intersections, driving through the lane for oncoming traffic, rather than making a right angle turn. I've had to stop car lengths from the white line because someone making a turn is driving through the lane as I pull up to the intersection.

Either that or people are just lazy and stupid. These offenders aren't all driving Maximas. Interestingly my IFS Super Cab Ranger (just about the length of an Expedition) can make these turns easily without driving through the oncoming lane, and it doesn't have a great turning radius.

I may not be able to do a(n?) U-turn on a dime in my Maxima, but I definitely can make a left turn without crossing into the white line. It annoys me so much that I pull all the way up to the white line at a stop and watch the drivers turning, either freak out that they actually have to stay in their lane or give me dirty looks.

02 Silverado ext cab 6.6ft bed: 46.6ft what a nightmare to do a u-turn.
04 Lexus LS430: 35.5ft I was surprised that a full size sedan can do that!
04 BMW 325i Sedan: 34.4ft I loved doing u-turns with that car.

Many are apparently clueless as to the meaning of the white line. I see people stop twenty feet back. I see some all but zip into traffic before stopping. What I always just loved was stopping at the line, then creeping forward to see if I could go--then Mr Big SUV blows over the line and blocks my vision. Not as big of a deal now that I'm in my truck, but really annoying in a small car.

That's exactly the answer...

We have a signal controlled intersection not far from home that due to angle, turning may be 80*... Still they'll cut through the left turn lane, just because they are too lazy to turn the steering wheel... From opposite side you have to make almost a U turn, don't seem to have a problem with that(have to slow down or run over curb)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back