What's your most and least favorite fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People overlook the lowly bluegill (sunfish). Fresh caught and fried with a light coating of cornmeal...........MMMM-MMMM- GOOD! It has a very light, sweet taste that simply cannot be beat. Smallmouth/largemouth bass, northern pike....fun to catch, but the bluegill is still much more tasty.

I love catfish. Cracker Barrel, of all places, has a good catfish dinner.

Brook trout is also a delicacy. Very mild and tasty.

Fresh smelt....used to be great. It's tough to catch them anymore since the large introduction of game fish to the great lakes.

Dislikes? Cannot think of any, except that has sat too long and becomes "fishy" tasting.

Favorite: Salmon, Halibut, Cod

Least Favorite: Swordfish, Shark

I used to eat shark in college as I could get it for $1/pound but swordfish and shark have too much toxicity. Tuna is OK in moderation but I would limit both fresh and canned. The EPA says that canned tuna shouldn't be eaten more than about twice a week for an adult male. Beyond that and you'll start to ingest unhealthy levels of toxics including the potential of BPA from the can. It doesn't take A LOT of tuna to reach that point.

Favorite: Lake Superior Whitefish and smelt.

Least favorite: any fish from China (where a lot of the fish at our local supermarket originates, unfortunately).

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
My most favorite: Florida pompano, triggerfish fried in peanut oil, grilled black grouper and grilled chicken dolphin or mahi. Blackened redfish cooked outdoors in an old cast iron skillet on a Coleman stove with homemade hushpuppies. Grilled bacon-wrapped cobia filets.

My least favorite would have to be mullet. Amberjack is kind of nasty too. And I am not a huge fan of speckled trout either. I caught a good size speck one night under the Perdido Key bridge in Pensacola, and when I cleaned it it had a whole 3 inch grub tail jig in its belly. It had swallowed the jig head and all and its meat was wormy. Had holes in it like Swiss cheese.

If any of you live near a Bonefish Grill they have a parmesan crusted pompano right now that is some of the best fish I have ever eaten. Mrs. Jimmy had it when we went to dinner there last Saturday.
As a Florida boy (Pensacola) I halfway agree with your list. Our black mullet up here is very tasty if fried the same day it is caught. Not fishy tasting at all. I've heard the mullet down south are only good for bait. I like amberjack too. As far the speckled trout, just fry them up. Those worms taste just like speckled trout! Seriously, it is not an issue. That is a parasite in its larval stage that hosts in sharks. When the trout is eaten by the shark it develops fully and lives in the sharks stomach.

Add to your list red snapper and grouper and it will be complete. There are not many fish I will not eat. Trigger fish is not my favorite, but my wife loves it.

Favorite: None!

I can't stand the taste of fish. Out of all of them however, nothing trips my gag reflex quicker than the taste of salmon.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
My most favorite: Florida pompano, triggerfish fried in peanut oil, grilled black grouper and grilled chicken dolphin or mahi. Blackened redfish cooked outdoors in an old cast iron skillet on a Coleman stove with homemade hushpuppies. Grilled bacon-wrapped cobia filets.

My least favorite would have to be mullet. Amberjack is kind of nasty too. And I am not a huge fan of speckled trout either. I caught a good size speck one night under the Perdido Key bridge in Pensacola, and when I cleaned it it had a whole 3 inch grub tail jig in its belly. It had swallowed the jig head and all and its meat was wormy. Had holes in it like Swiss cheese.

If any of you live near a Bonefish Grill they have a parmesan crusted pompano right now that is some of the best fish I have ever eaten. Mrs. Jimmy had it when we went to dinner there last Saturday.
As a Florida boy (Pensacola) I halfway agree with your list. Our black mullet up here is very tasty if fried the same day it is caught. Not fishy tasting at all. I've heard the mullet down south are only good for bait. I like amberjack too. As far the speckled trout, just fry them up. Those worms taste just like speckled trout! Seriously, it is not an issue. That is a parasite in its larval stage that hosts in sharks. When the trout is eaten by the shark it develops fully and lives in the sharks stomach.

Add to your list red snapper and grouper and it will be complete. There are not many fish I will not eat. Trigger fish is not my favorite, but my wife loves it.

Yeah I forgot red snapper and red grouper too, both are very good. Back in the 1990's when my first wife and I lived in Fort Walton Beach we used to catch a lot of mingo snapper on the head boats out of Destin. We caught a few triggerfish too both on the party boats and a friend's boat when he invited us out with him. I got turned on to fried triggerfish one day when I stopped at Gulf Breeze Bait and Tackle to buy some bait shrimp and they had a Fry Daddy going in the corner by the door and were giving out free fried triggerfish samples. I quit fishing long ago but if I had to pick an all time favorite it would have to be pompano with triggerfish coming in a very close second. I just never have been able to cultivate a taste for mullet.

Salmon is both a favorite and a least favorite. Interesting.

Sushi is not getting much of a mention and it seems there is little interest in Haddock.

Favorite? Grilled Salmon.

I like most fish, though. Out here in Socal, you can catch rockfish and Sculpin easily on the party boats, and they're tasty as well. Fishing in the surf, you can catch Yellowfin Croaker, which might be the best-tasting fish I've caught. They say croakers collect toxins, though, so you don't want to eat them very often.

Least favorite? The fish called "Sea Bass" in restaurants. Usually tasteless.

Home smoked real, wild salmon is probably my favorite, though I can't say any kind is bad in any way.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Home smoked real, wild salmon is probably my favorite, though I can't say any kind is bad in any way.

I do that too. Smoke a couple of lbs and what you don't eat is perfectly fine to keep in the fridge and makes for a nice lunch ingredient or even a snack.

Originally Posted By: Benito

Sushi is not getting much of a mention and it seems there is little interest in Haddock.

Funny you mention Haddock, I've tried it and found it to be very bland and boring. I really enjoy a good Salmon, so I would say that is my favorite. Sushi isn't for me and I can really do without Haddock.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Benito

Funny you mention Haddock, I've tried it and found it to be very bland and boring. I really enjoy a good Salmon, so I would say that is my favorite. Sushi isn't for me and I can really do without Haddock.

Yeah be careful with that poor quality Haddock. You know you've had it when it repeats on you.

The last one I cooked: Fresh Amberjack on a grill. Coated both sides with melted butter, then lightly sprinkled on some spicy cajun seasoning.

After 3min/side on a very hot fire, it was done! Very flaky, hot, with just enough spice. Went great with a chilled Chardonay and Dirty Rice!

Worst: Warm, fresh-water catfish that tastes like red mud, fried in cornmeal...ate WAAYY to much of this as a kid. Never again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back