Raspberry Smoked Chops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I made a couple of raspberry smoked Iowa chops for dinner, along with a salad from the garden. They turned out incredible.

After dry brining the chops for about 24 hours they're rinsed, seasoned with fresh ground pepper, and ready to go on smoke for a couple hours. I like either maple or one of the fruit woods for pork, such as apple or cherry.

The raspberry preserves are from our garden last year. We're just about out, so we'll have to get busy as soon as the new crop comes in and make some more preserves. We use a sugar free preserve recipe. It's not super sweet, but it's very fruity and delicious. Apple or peach preserves also work nicely. I warm the preserves to make them easy to brush on.

After about 2 hours on smoke at 230 degrees, I start brushing on the preserves. I put a coating on about every 10 minutes for the next 30 minutes.

The layered flavors are delicious. The pork, pepper, smoke and fruit on top of a juicy Iowa chop.

A side salad picked fresh from the garden and a glass of chardonnay round out dinner.

Looks awesome! We smoked some copper river wild salmon tonight, but Ive never tried smoking anything but fish. Might need to take a try at this. I think we will finally have enough red and black raspberry crop this year to make preserves and not just eat them...

Dinner tonight at Pop_Rivet ???

I just ate but want some
20.gif

Nice, smart to not coat the meat until the smoke soaks in a bit. Looks great!
Thats a pretty big smoker cabinet.

I love my digital Bradley smoker. After a 20 hour smoke,we had pulled pork last night for dinner.

I'll try some venison chops this week.

Hmmm, that does look good. Do you keep your smoker in the garage? I assume they aren't quite weather proof, but you can't run them indoors either.
If you really want to blow your taste buds away, try to find some pastured heritage breed pork. Our Tamworth pigs on pasture were very very good. Store pork is a good "clean sheet" to add flavour too, but the base flavours of pastured pork do help as well. Also the fat is filled with better stuff for you, and I don't ever cut it off a chop...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Hmmm, that does look good. Do you keep your smoker in the garage? I assume they aren't quite weather proof, but you can't run them indoors either.
If you really want to blow your taste buds away, try to find some pastured heritage breed pork. Our Tamworth pigs on pasture were very very good. Store pork is a good "clean sheet" to add flavour too, but the base flavours of pastured pork do help as well. Also the fat is filled with better stuff for you, and I don't ever cut it off a chop...

Yes, I have a ventilation system in the garage and I keep and run the smoker in the garage.

The meats that we use are from a local locker that uses local livestock. The pig was from a farm about 6 miles from here. We never purchase store bought meats.

Gotta love smoked chops. I recently did this with some 1-1/2" thick rib chops and smoked with pecan wood.

I Love Animals. They're Delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back