1999 Pontiac Firebird- 3k mi - Mobil 1 10W-30 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this oil changed early since it was in service for so long, while sitting for months during the winter. I also drive this car hard from time to time, and fully expected to see higher than average wear metals. Lastly, I wanted to see if I had the dreaded GM intake manifold gasket leak. The oil used was Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, in service for around 7 months, including some below freezing temperatures. My thoughts are that the potassium and sodium seem higher than I would like. The last 3 oil changes have been with oils that should not contain sodium or potassium. The OLM said that I could have gone twice as long (approx 6k miles), so I may end up running at least 5k next time. I was quite impressed with the wear numbers. Any thoughts?

Firebird%20UOA_zpscs5sif1z.jpg

Here's my UOA of M1 10W40 HM. Wanted to post it here alongside of yours to compare the add packs of the 10W30 vs the 10W40. The Mobil 1 is the 3000 mile run and the 3200 mile run is RP 20W50 (Synerlec formula) The add pack in yours Derek looks stronger than mine:

24mweo9.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Thanks for the test. I will now cross M1 HM 10W-30 off my list of possible purchases.
Do tell why? I am sure the answer will be ever so revealing...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here's my UOA of M1 10W40 HM. Wanted to post it here alongside of yours to compare the add packs of the 10W30 vs the 10W40. The Mobil 1 is the 3000 mile run and the 3200 mile run is RP 20W50 (Synerlec formula) The add pack in yours Derek looks stronger than mine:

24mweo9.jpg

Yep, this is my first UOA with this car and my 3rd oil change since buying the car last year. 2 runs have been with M1 10W-30 HM and 1 was with Pennzoil HM. Now using QSHP, all in 10W-30. Your UOA looked amazing compared to mine! Though I'm sure the 'Bird will soldier on for as long as the intake manifold gasket hangs on.

What does calcium do in an oil? I just noticed the calcium in my M1 10W40 is 3160. Your 10W30 has higher moly and zinc.

I forgot to mention in the original post that during this OCI I ran a tank that had Stabil in it along with a tank that had Royal Purple Max Clean in it. Not sure if any of those contained any potassium or sodium that would've leeched into the oil through combustion, but I thought I'd mention it.

Does look really good
smile.gif

I hope that Bird flies for a long time.
Always have liked those cars since I was a little kid in the early 80s.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

11/11/2 for only 3000 miles is ridiculous as heck.

Glad somebody else with a 3800 ran that test and saved me from all the wear.

11/11/2 for only 3000 miles is ridiculous as heck. Glad somebody else with a 3800 ran that test and saved me from all the wear.
One UOA does not a trend make...

11/11/2 for only 3000 miles is ridiculous as heck.

Glad somebody else with a 3800 ran that test and saved me from all the wear.

I don't think it's too bad considering how much fun I have with the car and how long it was in service. The wear numbers I am happy with, just unsure about a potential coolant leak.

Originally Posted By: car51
Nice UOA and disregard Merk's comments.

+1

This is the older HM formulation.

If your worried about the coolant leak and can afford it just have the gaskets changed. I did that with my Lesabre 3.8 and the mechanic said it was a good idea even though it wasn't leaking.

Last edited:
I'll test my next run of QSHP while keeping an eye on the coolant level and the look of the oil and see if those numbers go down. I still kinda wonder if it had anything to do with the Stabil and/or Royal Purple Max Clean fuel additives I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back