Fram Ultra XG 7317 Build Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a fram ultra xg7317 oil filter and noticed it has 10 very large oil holes while the xg2 only has i believe eight very small holes.. I was just wondering why the oil holes are so much bigger on the small 7317 than on the much larger xg2..

I also want to comment on the fram ultra build quality... It looks like it is built very very well, of course i won't know for sure until i cut it open but from my eyes it looks great.. I was looking hard for a flaw and i could not detect any. I wish fram would list the flow rates on their filters like wix does that would make me feel a lot better about the ultra filters.. There must be a reason why fram does not list the flow rates of their filters. i am comparing build quality by eye only with a napa gold and i have to say the fram ultra seems superior of course the fram is more expensive.

Build quality? It's not even a real synthetic media filter -- it's got a thin layer of synthetic media over top a layer of cellulose media. If I was gonna pay all that money for a synthetic media filter, I'd want the media to be 100% synthetic through and through.

Yes, they look and operate like a quality designed, well thought out product. They say dual layer synthetic media with a stainless steel screen behind it. The ADBV valve looks to operate easily with nice space to move, which makes for good oil flow under all oil pressures, even low. I don't think they are hiding anything because they don't publish the flow rates, while Wix does. The question can be asked though, why not publish the flow rates? Without assuming anything wrong from them, or that the rates are not good. It probably is corporate nonsense where someone higher up says it isn't necessary, so they don't.
Actually for what is inside, the Ultra is a bit of a bargain I would say.
I have asked the same thing, why the small filter has more and larger holes while the larger filter has fewer and smaller. I also asked a couple times why the ADBV sticks into the center tube so much. Crickets.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Build quality? It's not even a real synthetic media filter -- it's got a thin layer of synthetic media over top a layer of cellulose media. If I was gonna pay all that money for a synthetic media filter, I'd want the media to be 100% synthetic through and through.

Are you fishing or just don't have the facts straight?

Says: "Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides up to 15,000 miles of engine protection."

http://fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I wish fram would list the flow rates on their filters like wix does that would make me feel a lot better about the ultra filters.

As mentioned a few times before, the "flow rates" that WIX publishes are nebulous because there is not delta-p or oil viscosity/temperature associated with their "flow rates". You need that missing information to have it make sense. It would be like saying a filter is 99% efficient, but not say at what micron size.

Motorking gave flow vs delta-p info for the Ultra and the numbers said it flowed very good.

There must be a reason why fram does not list the flow rates of their filters.

Because 99.999% of the people seeing the numbers don't really know what they mean ... especially if important factors like delta-p and viscosity are missing.

This is the kind of data you need to really know how good an oil filter flows.
Flow vs Delta-P Test Data [Link]

I was looking at a fram ultra xg7317 oil filter and noticed it has 10 very large oil holes while the xg2 only has i believe eight very small holes.. I was just wondering why the oil holes are so much bigger on the small 7317 than on the much larger xg2.
As long as the inlet holes can match the flow capacity of the outlet, the varying size of the inlet holes is essentially irrelevant. I compared the holes in a Motorcraft FL-820s to a Fram Ultra XG2 and here is the calculation:

I3crmi.jpg

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Yes, they look and operate like a quality designed, well thought out product. They say dual layer synthetic media with a stainless steel screen behind it. The ADBV valve looks to operate easily with nice space to move, which makes for good oil flow under all oil pressures, even low. I don't think they are hiding anything because they don't publish the flow rates, while Wix does. The question can be asked though, why not publish the flow rates? Without assuming anything wrong from them, or that the rates are not good. It probably is corporate nonsense where someone higher up says it isn't necessary, so they don't.
Actually for what is inside, the Ultra is a bit of a bargain I would say.
I have asked the same thing, why the small filter has more and larger holes while the larger filter has fewer and smaller. I also asked a couple times why the ADBV sticks into the center tube so much. Crickets.
Stainless steel screen....is it in danger of rusting while bathed in oil?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
it's got a thin layer of synthetic media over top a layer of cellulose media.

This is how Fram Ultra's achieve the super high efficiency ratings despite being "synthetic".

I guess it could be argued that Fram Ultra's are "better" than a typical cellulose filter (like a Napa Gold) because the fuzzy synthetic fibers provide a 3-dimensional scaffold for dirt to accumulate before it reaches and ultimately plugs up the cellulose. But then again, if you have a fairly well maintained vehicle, I see no reason why you can't run Napa Gold's for 7-10k miles.

Mobil 1 filters also have the same "dual layer" design. The cellulose is needed to provide the efficiency ratings that consumers are stuck on.

Maybe I'm silly, but when I run synthetic filters, I run Napa Platinum's for 2 OCI's....for around 15k miles before I remove them. I get them on sale occasionally, for about $7/each, and so for 2 OCI's....they are a decent deal.

So no one knows why they put more and larger inlet holes in a smaller filter, or why there is about 1/2"of ADBV sticking into the center tube right in the outlet hole. As far as irrelevant, the whole bitog site could easily be called that. One mans relevance is another's irrelevance I guess. That's fine if no one knows the answers, and it's pretty obvious why a stainless steel screen behind the two layers of synthetic media is much better than plain steel. Such a contrast to the OCOD cost cutting construction.

Ultra's are completely synthetic, have no idea where this sudden synthetic over cellulose thing came from.

Synthetic fibers catch smaller particles, have higher holding capacity AND flow better all at the same time. What is not to like?

Yep FU spin ons have excellent build quality. Imo, their best by a long shot.

However, the size and/or number inlet holes is of no significance to me. Very confident there is more than enough flow in all of them down the line.

And no matter how many times it's queried, as I've not seen a filter posted here proven not to flow enough in pc use, it's an insignificant consideration.

Think Memphis above is on to something imo.

I don't think it's trolling he is just stuck on that issue, no matter how many times he has been told or had it explained he comes right back to it. Mental block kinda thing IMO.

The gpm flow rates on Wix's site are essentially worthless information but he is stuck on that too.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Ultra's are completely synthetic, have no idea where this sudden synthetic over cellulose thing came from.
Fully agree; FRAM has it stated in multiple places so "suddenly" someone (with zero information or data to confirm) is stating this as a bonafide fact and it is complete rubbish.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
So no one knows why they put more and larger inlet holes in a smaller filter, or why there is about 1/2"of ADBV sticking into the center tube right in the outlet hole. As far as irrelevant, the whole bitog site could easily be called that. One mans relevance is another's irrelevance I guess.
What is it exactly that should happen with the hole sizes and quantity? The ability to flow 121% of inflow to outflow (in the case of the XG2) is more than sufficient.

The question asked is what is the reason to have more and larger holes on a small filter and fewer and smaller holes on a larger size. Nothing asked about if it flows enough on either. I also wanted to know why there is all this extra ADBV material in the inlet hole. Can see about 1/4-1/2" of the ADBV inside of the thread, like a collar around the thread.

Fram XG3614 (right) and XG4967 (left) baseplate holes:
DSCN1048_zpsdpbucpal.jpg

Fram XG4967 outlet hole with ADBV "collar" inside:
DSCN1058_zpsv0pxbp46.jpg

Fram XG3614 outlet hole with ADBV "collar" inside:
DSCN1060_zpsbalqwkro.jpg

What is their reasoning here.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
PSWTC

I have no idea what you are abbreviating there with letters, why don't you write it, schedule too busy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back