Michelin LTX question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend just got some LTX's for his truck, 99% sure they are MS2's as they look just like mine. 'cept they don't--they clearly have much larger voids in the tread blocks. The difference is that his are LT tires on his F250 whereas I have regular P.

Anyone else notice this? I've always been a bit mystified as to why others "love" their LTX's in snow whereas I thought them to be lousy. I wonder they are rocking LT tires, and the tread is simply different. Larger voids and perhaps better snow traction, despite being "the same tire".

[For the record I bought snow tires to "fix" the issue. Don't need another snow tire debate.]

Premier LTX? (Must not be - doesn't look like they come in LT)

(also some LTX's used to show "different tread pattern" in the description)

Last edited:
the LT rated MS2 tires on the trucks at work have noticably smaller void spaces with more siping compared to the old M/S.

They also make an LTX A/S which has been on some F 150s as OEM and are also sold as replacements. Funny thing is it seems the A/S costs a little bit more than the MS2. The MS2 being a good choice if you have the dough.

Originally Posted By: supton
I've always been a bit mystified as to why others "love" their LTX's in snow whereas I thought them to be lousy.

Mine were lousy. So bad that they must have been a counterfeit set. Neighbor bought a set of LT rated LTX 2's, and quickly found out the the Bridgestone Dueler AT's that it rolled off the assembly line with were a much better tire in many ways.

I don't know why the set that I had sucked so bad. I just don't know.

I have the P version of LTX MS/2s on my Ranger and I think they're pretty darn awesome in the snow.
21.gif

I just ditched LTX AT2's for Goodyear Duratracs. Much better tire all around. I hated the AT2's.

Mine sucked to in the snow and I have 4 wheel drive. I got rid of them and put on a set of Cooper ATP all terrain tires . Awesome traction and took very little weight to balance.

Originally Posted By: SigShooter
Mine sucked to in the snow and I have 4 wheel drive. I got rid of them and put on a set of Cooper ATP all terrain tires . Awesome traction and took very little weight to balance.

M/S, M/S2, A/T or A/T2?

I've found the M/S and M/S2 great in snow, but I have zero experience with the A/T and A/T2.

I had LT-rated LTX M/S tires (30x9.50R15) on my Nissan truck, but, at least to my eyes, the tread pattern wasn't appreciably different from the P-metric versions. I thought it did pretty dadgum good in the snow -- and I had no complaints in the rain or on dry pavement, either. The tires seemed to wear like iron. They were on there and probably half-worn when I bought the truck, and they were still about half-worn when I sold it to my brother 20,000 miles later. And they were still on there when he sold it about 15,000 miles later. They were probably the best set of tires that I've owned, in terms of doing what they were designed to do, and doing it well.

Originally Posted By: SigShooter
LTX MS 2

P-Metric or LT? I ask because IndyIan stated that his uncle (IIRC) had the LT's on his truck and they were not great. We have always run the (spec) P-Metric ones and our experiences have been excellent.

I have P tires, not LT on my truck. In my case it could be hyper tip in combined with the torque convertor giving me fits. But even with a decent amount of ballast it seemed sideways was a too-easy thing to accomplish.

Wasn't sure if the bigger voids helped or not.

Last edited:
What is the point of this thread? Guess the tire? Any prizes awarded for the correct guess?

All US Market Michelin Light Truck tires start with LTX, whether they are P-Metric or LT.

It could be any of:
LTX M/S (still available)
LTX M/S2
LTX A/T2
LTX A/S
LTX Winter
Energy Saver LTX
Any number of discontinued LTX tires including some exclusive to Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back