cheap synthetic for 04 grand am 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my best friend is letting his sister use his car as she gets back on her feet. We've been using valvoline full syn for last 3 5k oil changes. They want to keep using full syn but not valvoline because they are on a budget. So i gave em a choice of qsud or walmart's brand of full syn paired with a delco oil filter. Which would b a better choice? All this on 5k oci

Last edited:
I don't think they're picky. My mom has the same engine in her Buick and I've run dealer bulk oil, Castrol GTX, Castrol GTX Synblend, Pennzoil Ultra, and Chevron Supreme. Regardless of the oil it still ran... Like a GM 3.4L so... Yeah lol.

Not to worry on the oil.

Checking the PQIA site... Looks like the Walmart full synthetic is not being made by Ashland anymore. The last test from PQIA site shows the SuperTech had no sodium in its additive package. Though now it has a decent amount of boron. The TBN is fine around 8, cold cranking viscosity is good, and its NOACK is fine too. So its really a coin flip.. But as you may well know the Super Tech is going to be cheaper by a couple of bucks. Also you could consider Pennzoil synthetic blend which is around the price point of Supertech. The Supertech would be fine too. Any one of the three would be fine
smile.gif

The worry on those engines is the intake manifold gaskets, not what oil is used.

Gaskets been done?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The worry on those engines is the intake manifold gaskets, not what oil is used.

Gaskets been done?

No but no sign of them failing. Car has roughly 145k

Be careful is all I can say. Helped a friend do them on a Buick that had 95k and we caught them in time. May not be bad idea to look into gasket set.

Originally Posted By: car51
Be careful is all I can say. Helped a friend do them on a Buick that had 95k and we caught them in time. May not be bad idea to look into gasket set.
The gaskets can go whenever. Some are early like our Impala, I changed at 65k-70k somewhere in there. Some never go bad. Id definitly watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some good news for you. The 2004 Grand Am 3.4 did not have the problem gaskets. Best I can tell, the problem was fixed during the 2003 model year. You can confirm with a GM dealer, but every discussion about these gaskets involve the 1997-2003 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 engines.

I thought that Warren made their oil now but I wasn't sure.. I didn't take my memory medication today
smile.gif

That Grand Am has the OLM, so you may be able to go longer than 5k, if money is a concern. In fact, even dino can handle the full OCI dictated by the OLM. Kmart often has Smittys on sale for $2/qt or $9 for the 5qt jug.

Nothing wrong with either syn you listed. But you definitely don't need 5k OCI using synthetic in light of the tight budget. Especially when one of those additional oil changes makes the difference between putting food on the table, or if the car needs something else.

And if they like Valvoline syn, just be on the lookout for Napa's sale that happens a few times a year where their house brand syn is $3.79/qt (Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower, and Valvoline makes all of Napa's house brand oil and ATF)

You could even get an A5/B5 5w30 syn (Edge, PP, M1) and Fram Ultra and go *twice* the OLM suggestion per OCI.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That Grand Am has the OLM, so you may be able to go longer than 5k, if money is a concern. In fact, even dino can handle the full OCI dictated by the OLM. Kmart often has Smittys on sale for $2/qt or $9 for the 5qt jug.

Nothing wrong with either syn you listed. But you definitely don't need 5k OCI using synthetic in light of the tight budget. Especially when one of those additional oil changes makes the difference between putting food on the table, or if the car needs something else.

And if they like Valvoline syn, just be on the lookout for Napa's sale that happens a few times a year where their house brand syn is $3.79/qt (Napa synthetic is rebranded Synpower, and Valvoline makes all of Napa's house brand oil and ATF)

You could even get an A5/B5 5w30 syn (Edge, PP, M1) and Fram Ultra and go *twice* the OLM suggestion per OCI.

Only problem is his family still goes by the 3 month 3k oci. They only are doing 5k oil because it's syn.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Only problem is his family still goes by the 3 month 3k oci. They only are doing 5k oil because it's syn.

Supertech synthetic hands down then if you cant find a cheaper store brand w/ filter deal. Not sure if you have a Meijer near you, but they occasionally have their store brand by 1 get one 50% off as well. I want to say their synthetic is Warren too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
I have some good news for you. The 2004 Grand Am 3.4 did not have the problem gaskets. Best I can tell, the problem was fixed during the 2003 model year. You can confirm with a GM dealer, but every discussion about these gaskets involve the 1997-2003 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 engines.

I got fed, and believed that line too. Not true.
mad.gif
Our 04 Chevy 3.4 still had the exact same intake manifold gasket problems and then blew the head gasket for good measure.

Have not bought a GM car since after nearly exclusive ownership for decades.

Other than the gasket issues the 3.4 is a great engine and not at all picky about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back