Recommend me a good European oil for my Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks,

I reside in Europe and drive 2009 Honda Accord (aka Acura TSX in the U.S.)
A little about the car: it's 2.0l, gasoline engine (Honda R20A3 engine), 156 hp.

So far I have used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 fully synthetic oil.
No issues with it. My car seem to "like" it. On the label it says "for both gasoline and diesel engines". However, I was advised on this forum, that the ESP formula is really not the best thing for my car.

Should I switch to Mobil 1 0w30, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5? Seems more appropriate for gasoline engine.

Any other Honda drivers here? What oil do you guys use?

What does Honda spec for the engine in Europe?

Th1 M1 0w30 A5/B5 (called AFE over here) should probably work fine for you, although they actually spec 0w20/5w20 in the US (the R20 isn't available on the TSX here, but is installed on the ILX).

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Th1 M1 0w30 A5/B5 (called AFE over here) should probably work fine for you, although they actually spec 0w20/5w20 in the US (the R20 isn't available on the TSX here, but is installed on the ILX).

Well, Honda recommends 0w20 or 5w20 all year around no matter where you live. However in Southern Europe it really gets hot in the summer. 0w20 is way too thin in my opinion. Some Honda folks even put 0w40 or 5w40 in their Hondas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Proxyon

Well, Honda recommends 0w20 or 5w20 all year around no matter where you live. However in Southern Europe it really gets hot in the summer. 0w20 is way too thin in my opinion. Some Honda folks even put 0w40 or 5w40 in their Hondas.

Oh wow, I didn't know Honda was using the 20 in Europe now! That said, Honda generally knows what they're doing, so if they find it sufficient for hot Mediterranean summers and high-speed Autobahn driving, it probably is.

That said, the M1 0w30 you want to use is on the low side of 30, so it's a good compromise between sticking with what Honda says and going thicker. There is also Redline 0w20.

We use 0w20 & 5w20 in Honda engines in many parts of the United States that have some of the hottest temperatures on earth...No Lie!

Phoenix, AZ
Death Valley, CA
Las Vegas, NV

Last edited:
0w20 is way too thin in my opinion.

And what is your opinion based on exactly?

BTW, there are many parts of the US where it gets even hotter than in Southern Europe, and the cars here have no problem running on Xw-20 oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
0w20 is way too thin in my opinion.

And what is your opinion based on exactly?

BTW, there are many parts of the US where it gets even hotter than in Southern Europe, and the cars here have no problem running on Xw-20 oil.

It ain't called the "Old World" for nothing. j/k.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

In your opinion.

Interesting.
I assume you've got some initials that go after your name like an engineering degree or something.
If not your opinion means nothing. What do the engineers say. You know,the ones who built the engine.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
We use 0w20 & 5w20 in Honda engines in many parts of the United States that have some of the hottest temperatures on earth...No Lie!

Phoenix, AZ
Death Valley, CA
Las Vegas, NV

Most if not all manufactures test their vehicles in Death Valley in summer. If a car performs well in Death Valley running up and down fairly steep hills at 120+F, it will do well anywhere in the world in summer with the oil they used to test in Death Valley, and it's the same oil in the owner manual.

Mobil 1 Formula ESP 5W-30 is an excellent oil, particularly in the EU with Euro V gasoline. Absolutely nothing wrong with your selection there, keep using it and forget about 20 weight oils.

Mobil has no recommendation for your engine even though they do sell xw20w.
Quote:
Leider konnten wir kein Produkt finden, das Ihren Suchkriterien entspricht. Bitte kontaktieren Sie das Technical Helpdesk unter Deutschland - 0800 752 2584, Österreich - 0800 295 245, Schweiz - 0800 561 576 und lassen Sie sich beraten.

But Castrol does..
Quote:
MARKE: Honda MODELL: Accord, CU/CW (2008 - ) TYP: Accord 2.0i (2008 - 2012)
Motorenöle für Sie
Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4

IMO When such a large discrepancy exist going down middle is probably a safe bet.
The ESP is a very good oil, i would use it or Castrol 0w30 in this engine in a heartbeat.

Folks,

I reside in Europe and drive 2009 Honda Accord (aka Acura TSX in the U.S.)
A little about the car: it's 2.0l, gasoline engine (Honda R20A3 engine), 156 hp.

So far I have used Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 fully synthetic oil.
No issues with it. My car seem to "like" it. On the label it says "for both gasoline and diesel engines". However, I was advised on this forum, that the ESP formula is really not the best thing for my car.

Should I switch to Mobil 1 0w30, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5? Seems more appropriate for gasoline engine.

Any other Honda drivers here? What oil do you guys use?

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with the oil that you're using. Just because Honda recommends a 0W20 for that engine does not mean it cannot use other thicker grades of oil, as most Honda's in Europe have for many years.

Honda is just like every other automaker, NOT foolproof, NOT perfect. You can find faults in design in almost every car on the planet, and Honda is no exception. Specifically, the vast number of transmission failures from the earlier V6 applications, the 2.4L timing chain failure epidemic, and the many oil burning 2.0 L engines that all ran on 5W20 / 0W20...

Not trying to bash Honda or any automaker really, but simply trying to show that their recommendation is not a universal law or requirement. I'm sure most Honda engines can live very long and happy lives on xW-20 oils, but they can also do the same on xw-30 oils and x-W40 oils, as they have in Europe for many many years.

If I were you, I'd likely use any ACEA A3/B4 rated oil (in any 0W30, 0W40, 5W30, or 5W40 grade) and call it a day. It would be good for both low and high temperatures, and high-speed or spirited driving. The oil you are using now is also good, but is C3 rated because it is low-SAPS.

Most low-SAPS oils are meant to protect the diesel particulate filters of new modern diesel engines, however, they can be used successfully in gas engines where low-sulphur gasoline is also used (and is best without ethanol in the gas, i.e. no E10).

Bottom line, if you want a thicker oil film separating your internal engine parts, then go with higher viscosity. Stribeck curve tells the story. I'd recommend any synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-30 in that car.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
Proxyon said:
Folks,
Most low-SAPS oils are meant to protect the diesel particulate filters of new modern diesel engines, however, they can be used successfully in gas engines where low-sulphur gasoline is also used (and is best without ethanol in the gas, i.e. no E10).

1) Low Saps oils are needed on modern GDI and T-GDI ( FSI & TFSI) engines due to less valve deposits build up.....plus modern gasoline engines have particulate filters too

2) EU has E5-10 on most petrol stations.....and up to 5% biodiesel in diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back