0W 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the manufacturers resist the 0W 20? I have seen different cars that the owners manual says 5W 20. Seems like anything calling for 5W 20 should be ok with 0W20. Why don't they say either or?

Originally Posted By: Rojack
Why do the manufacturers resist the 0W 20? I have seen different cars that the owners manual says 5W 20. Seems like anything calling for 5W 20 should be ok with 0W20. Why don't they say either or?

I am no expert but I think it might be because 5w-20 can be conventional/dino, whereas 0w-20 almost has to be synthetic. Milady picked up an '03 Taurus two years ago, which to my surprise specced 5w-20. They also highly recommended the Motorcraft syn-blend....if you see where this is going.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Originally Posted By: Rojack

I am no expert but I think it might be because 5w-20 can be conventional/dino, whereas 0w-20 almost has to be synthetic. Milady picked up an '03 Taurus two years ago, which to my surprise specced 5w-20. They also highly recommended the Motorcraft syn-blend....if you see where this is going.

That would be my guess as well

I agree with what has already been said, in saying that 5w-20 is recommended simply to avoid forcing the customer to pay for synthetic every oil change.

I do also agree with your thinking, in saying that 0w-20 should be absolutely fine. Thinner oil on startup, for faster flow, yet the same viscosity as 5w-20 when at operating temp. No problems there

Yup, 5w20 can be conventional and 0w20 is synthetic. There is still (outside of BITOG) a stigma against synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Thinner oil on startup, for faster flow, yet the same viscosity as 5w-20 when at operating temp. No problems there

Only at -30C or thereabouts.

As to people thinking 0W20 HAS to be synthetic, Honda do a blend, and if you look at the Dexos licencing list

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

There's a few 0W20 syn blends there.

I have been using 0-20 in my Fords for several years now, and am very please with the results.

XOM reduces Phos and Zinc by 150 ppm in their "AFE" designated products compared to standard M1. So, you get higher levels in standard 5W-20 than AFE 0W-20. Interestingly, when they came out with 0W-20 "EP", they restored these additive levels. This additive reduction for AFE oils, apparently for "high mileage", has always concerned me and had me preferring standard M1 over AFE. Mobil's HM versions are even further fortified with these additives.

So, to say or assume "there is no difference" simply isn't true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back